Theo ate a poisonous plant! Please Help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mariam+Theo

Reaction score
I was cleaning my room and had to run downstairs to grab something and since Theo was sleeping I left my door open. Well, I came back upstairs and Theo was in my parent's room eating a plant! I ran over and pulled it out of his mouth, but he had still eaten half of a leaf. I quickly googled the plant and found out it is a Monstera plant that is poisonous to rabbits. I have already called the vet and they said to give him a bunch of different foods to dilute the poison and monitor him for at least 6 hours. I am worried sick because I have somewhere to be tonight until 8 😬. The vet also will not be working tomorrow because she takes Tuesdays off and I don't know if the emergency vet sees rabbits.
So far he is acting normal and eating hay, but I know things can change really quickly. Any more suggestions on what to do?
1623710426140.png

Ok, so just from some quick research, it seems mildly toxic to cats, but it's not seeming like it's going to be a big problem for rabbits. Just keep an eye on him until you have to leave, then check on him as soon as you get back. I'm guessing he's going to be just fine.

Thank you for your reply! I feel like I can calm down a bit now. My parents are picking me up early so I should be home by 7:45 and I’ll update how he is doing.

It is the Swiss Cheese Plant which has super large leaves. Thank goodness the plant we have is really small so the leaf Theo ate was only about 6" instead of 12"

Update: Theo is acting so normal and has been eating hay since I got home. I also gave him a treat, veggies, and fresh water. I'm pretty sure he will be okay, but I'm going to stay up tonight to make sure.

Can one of the administrators change the name of the thread to "Rabbit ate Swish Cheese Plant! Help!" so that if someone else's rabbit ever eats the same plant they can quickly find answers by searching?

Oh god, my bunny just ate the same plant and I am freaking out almost panic attack level. He ate quite a chunk, I quickly put him back in his cage. Do I need to take him to the emergency?!? He is only 3months old. Will he be ok.

Oh god, my bunny just ate the same plant and I am freaking out almost panic attack level. He ate quite a chunk, I quickly put him back in his cage. Do I need to take him to the emergency?!? He is only 3months old. Will he be ok.

How much is quite a chunk? And how is your bunny acting at the moment? If possible I would call the vet and ask for some advice. If they think that you should rush them to the ER then they will tell. Otherwise, I would continue to monitor your bun and if they seem to degrade at all then get them seen ASAP. Don’t panic, someone above said the plant doesn’t seem to be very toxic to rabbits.

How much is quite a chunk? And how is your bunny acting at the moment? If possible I would call the vet and ask for some advice. If they think that you should rush them to the ER then they will tell. Otherwise, I would continue to monitor your bun and if they seem to degrade at all then get them seen ASAP. Don’t panic, someone above said the plant doesn’t seem to be very toxic to rabbits.
Hi TMS,
I monitored him till the early morning hours 3-6 hrs and gave him plenty of hay, there were no bad effects and I am so thankful. God that was a scare, so I’ve bought him plenty of chewing toys and also have kept him away from the area which had the plants. He is a Netherland dwarf (without the dwarf gene) so he is quite naughty and since he is still young he is constantly exploring everything. Thank you for your advice. I’m glad I found this forum.

Reactions: Tms

Latest posts

Back