The World Needs More Flemish Giants

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As recounted in some previous posts, our previous house rabbit of 11 years just really loved to hop around outside. She weighed about 8 pounds and we never let out of the house unless either me or my wife was with her. In the morning I would sit outside drinking coffee reading the morning newspaper while she hopped around and in the evening, I would sit outside drinking some liquid sunshine. Our outdoor sessions were usually about 1/2 hour. I decided to get a Flemish rabbit because at their size they are not subject to a feral cat attack. This means our new, and now Flemish rabbits can have outdoor fun for hours or so without me or my wife being required to be outside watching the rabbit.
I originally intended to buy just one rabbit. However, at the breeders, I realized that the one rabbit I wanted was very closely bonded to another sibling. I bought both. They so much love each other. My baby rabbits are not yet 3 months old and weigh about 6+ pounds.

One Flemish baby was immediately very friendly. He's also very gregarious and outgoing. He likes to be petted. The female is shy and only after three weeks, it's now she wants to be petted. This compares with my resque rabbit that took years to bond and to be friendly to the same extent the babies have.

We have a big fenced back yard, and when our babies get big, we can let them roam in our back yard for parts of the day without fear of attack because of their size. The back door will always be open for a fast retreat into the house if they become frightened.

Our Flemish babies live free range in the house during the day. We keep our bedroom door closed because they will immediately take up residence under the bed...maybe when they get older we'll let them in. We have a pen in the living room for them to sleep in during the night.

My experience with Flemish rabbits is what I've read..so friendly and a calm personality. Another trait that you can read is that they have a tremendous appetites, especially when growing! Our two Flemish babies are fed all the oat hay and pellets they can eat, plus green vegetables. On trips to the grocery store, we have bought out all the romaine lettuce for sale! Trips to the Farmer's Market to get free carrot tops. They just love carrot tops. They have tremendous appetites! It's not to be unexpected with the rapid growth rate they will be experiencing. A Flemish rabbit needs to be of at least 15 pounds. 20 pounds is, I think, pretty common.

Flemishwhite-- I can't tell you how much joy it gives me to read what you write of your dear Flems. Whites have a special place in my heart - they have a delightful personality all their own. I had a breeding pair, London and Wendy, and reading this leaves me fondly remembering. Thank you!

We'd had a trip to the vet. It turns out both babies are girls. I thought one was a male because of its really outgoing aggressive personality and, to me, unusually friendliness...at initial meeting this rabbit hopped up for a pet. And it's wider face to me signified a male. The other sibling has a narrow face and is much more reserved, and it's only after three weeks she, for the first time, will hop up to me for a pet. One of the rabbits looks smaller than the other, although astoundingly, they are almost the same weight..2.44 Kg and 2.43 Kg. (5.5 pounds). They look almost exactly alike. One has a dark black nose and dark black ears and a white body and grey feet and grey tail. The other has a dark grey nose and dark grey ears, white body and grey feet and grey tail. On December 15, they will be three months old. It's great to know they are not male and female siblings!!

The two sisters just so love each other so much. They sleep side by side. They groom each other and kiss each other. They can now be a little jealous. When the more outgoing rabbit comes up to be petted, now the shy sister rabbit, after almost 4 weeks, will come up also to be petted also.

Getting a bonded pair of rabbits makes the rabbits' lives so much more enjoyable. But, for the rabbit owner, you're looking at twice food expenses and twice vet bills. As for food, rabbits really like to eat green leafy things. Buying from the grocery store, it can get to be expensive.,,now times 2. However, all of the rabbits we've had, just love carrot tops (greens). We get them from the Farmer's Market for free....that's a big savings. With two rabbits, there is the more significant cost of vet care...it'll be doubled. When our previous bunny died at nearly 12 years old, she was going through about $120 a month in medications. So with our now young sisters, it means we are very likely going to be looking at twice medical bills about 8 years from now.

I've had three dogs and a cat as pets. They all lived with me until they passed away. I now enjoy my rabbit pets. They are much more sophisticated and substantial pets than most people realize. Once they bond with humans, they become very different animals..........very different from the mute, inert animals you see hunkered down in a cage in a Pet Store. Few people realize that rabbits can make not only verbal sounds, but different sounds.

Hi, Flemishwhite! Congrats on your two lovely does. Do watch them carefully for power struggles. These two darling Dutch bunnies, Jemimah and Dorcas, had a major fight when Jemimah, who had been smaller with longer legs grew into her legs and realized she was newly dominant. I separated them for two days- they hated the solitude - and there weren't problems. They aged differently so their medical costs alternated rather than hitting with double whammies.

View attachment 1450096106612.jpg

Hi, Flemishwhite! Congrats on your two lovely does. Do watch them carefully for power struggles. These two darling Dutch bunnies, Jemimah and Dorcas, had a major fight when Jemimah, who had been smaller with longer legs grew into her legs and realized she was newly dominant. I separated them for two days- they hated the solitude - and there weren't problems. They aged differently so their medical costs alternated rather than hitting with double whammies.

Thanks for the comments. Yes, one of the two girls appears to be dominant. Dominant with feeding and also seeking my attention. So far no real problem since we have plenty of food for them. My previous rabbit was a rescue rabbit from a city park and it took her years to really get friendly. These bunnies were purposely hand held as babies, and it's amazing that at least one of them is really very friendly from age 8 weeks.

Latest posts

Back