The Silly Things We Do For Our Buns

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Channahs

Reaction score
Those things that cause us to get strange looks from others, mostly not rabbit people who would never understand. I'll start with my big two:

#1 Since too many broccoli flowerettes are known to cause gas in bunnies, I only buy them by the crown. I will purchase one small crown and then I'll move over to the banded bunches of broccoli and pick all of the leaves from them that I can find, tossing them into my bag with my crown. I have been asked by the produce man at Kroger, "what are you doing?"

#2 Once I found some carrot tops in the produce that someone had detached from the carrots. I went through 3 produce managers, trying to convince them to give me the useless carrot tops. I could not convince them to give me the carrot tops without paying for the entire bunch of carrots, so I relented and bought a whole bunch carrots and all...and when they went away....I put those carrot tops in my bag with those I bought. Yep, I stole carrot tops. :nonono:

I'm now known at Kroger as that crazy bunny lady.

Lol! I do the exact same thing. I always get the weirdest looks from the cashiers at the checkout. If I don't need to buy broccoli I will pick the leaves off and try to hide them in another bag of greens.

I have just gone to the grocery store to buy greens and when I checked out the cashier said "oh you must like a lot of greens" and I said no I just bought them for my bunny.

On Halloween I dressed my bunny up and sat on my porch with him while handing out candy. He loved the attention from all the kids. I also take him to get pictures with santa at pet stores or wherever they are having pet pics with santa.

I have been looking for a St. Louis Blues sweater for my Trix. The people in the pro shoppe think I am absolutely nutters!!!! I also take the tp and paper towel tubes home from work for Trix. I have single-handedly educated people about how cool rabbits really are with my videos of Trixie playing kill the doo rag!

:) I've read of Trix and her doo rag, but haven't seen her actually kill it.
Because of my Facebook page, when people see me out and about town, the first thing to come out of their mouth is, "how's the Bunny?" and that's when I whip out my cell phone and torture them with cute pictures and videos. :D

Going home by the underground during the rush hour with a cage, hay, litter, a litter box and bowls was definitely the worst thing I did for my rabbits. Guys stopped me every 50 meters to ask me who this huge cage was for (a policeman even stopped me to ask what kind of beast I owned). There was no petshop around my flat, so I took home my 2*2,5kg hay bags by the underground during one year and a half. People were always giving me really weird looks. In the end, I found a good Internet store and I have it shipped ever since which is a huge relief.
I'm also known for owning rabbits at the market. The vegetable store guy asks how my rabbits are doing everytime and gives me carrot tops and stuffs for free (I always get pitying looks from people who probably think I'm getting those for myself XD). At first, he thought I was a complete weirdo, always buying lots of rare vegetables and things like 4 brussel sprouts, two Jerusalem artichokes and 1 parsnip...

Haha! What a sight you must have been Aki! My little bags of produce are pretty funny too. I usually make two trips a week to keep it fresh. 8 snow peas (all individually examined for perfection) 4-6 brussell sprouts, etc *giggle*

If you want instant notority, take your rabbits to the park on a leash. I do, with 3 rabbits and 2 or 3 of my kids! The biggest comment I get is........"That's a first" or "Is that really a rabbit?" At the local pet stores we go in with the rabbits, espeically now that its really too cold to go the park, and the buns get LOTS of attention. Not too many people bring rabbits in. Black Jack, in particular is favorites with the pet store clerks.

I have also taken BJ to the coffee shop with me in the mornings on the weekends. In between cups of coffee, I will take him out of his carrier and let him romp on the lawn around the shop. I have to. You see, he doesnt understand weekends and the routine is taking him out of his cage in the morning about 6 or 7am while the kids and I get ready for school/work. He sees me get up just the same to go for coffee and he rattles his cage door. So, I feel compelled to take him. Once again, its getting to cold, but I will still take him on mild days.

I also think my coworkers think I am nuts for having and talking about my rabbits. What can I say, we love our rabbits.

Yes, I guess I must have looked pretty ridiculous ^^. Now, my only hard time is going on holiday. I have a puppy (still not quite calm, he will be 4 month old tomorrow) and the two bunnies and, considering that I don't own a car, I go to the train station by foot before taking the train. It's always kinda awful, especially since I'm paranoid that my rabbits are going to get stressed out and die on me, and I create family crisis everywhere, leaving children dying of jealousy behind me.
I took the train last month and a little girl was cooing at my dog for the whole trip saying "You're soooo lucky to have such a cute dog", then she spotted the 2 rabbits in the pet carrier. When her mum came, she began to ask for a doggy like mine and her mum said "But you got a rabbit already!". The little girl began to cry "That lady got TWO of them!"
:biggrin2:
It was pretty hilarious.

whatever4andnomore, I've seen people on the Internet taking their rabbits to the park and such but I'm too chicken to do it. I'm terrified my rabbits will encounter a dog or a cat or escape. You never had a problem with encountering not rabbit-friendly animals? I don't even dare to put the rabbits in my backyard because at least 5 cats go in and out. Right now, my rabbits are even kept in a room because the puppy thinks they are chew toys or something and goes mad everytime he sees them. I'm kinda sad about that one, but I guess it takes time to make a dog understand that even if they are small, they're part of the family :(

we are very careful at the park when it comes to dogs. Most of the time the rabbits know about the dogs in the area than we do, they crouch down until they pass by. As far as cats go, not too many cats wander the parks. And no cat can be more annoying to a rabbit than Edgar! :biggrin2:

So yes, we are careful of other animals like dogs and cats.

I've smuggled hors d'oeuvres out of swanky gatherings to surprise my bun with afterward. I also regularly pull dandelions out of my friends (organic) gardens...they think I'm just being nice, but I'm really pocketing those little weeds to treat my rabbit with.

Our rabbits enjoy the "dog treats" they have at the local pet stores. (the ones that have no animal by products of course) It's so funny. they usually allow you to give your dog a treat "on the house" if you ask. So we ask for our rabbits! They like the sugar free sandwich style cookies, and the green milk bones that have mint in them!

Our rabbits enjoy the "dog treats" they have at the local pet stores. (the ones that have no animal by products of course) It's so funny. they usually allow you to give your dog a treat "on the house" if you ask. So we ask for our rabbits! They like the sugar free sandwich style cookies, and the green milk bones that have mint in them!

I was wondering, do you take your rabbit on a leash to the store, or in a carrier and then let him out? I would really love to take our bun out and about but he's still young and we've only really taken him outside once, which was just in our back ally. My boyfriend works in a pet store though and he had this girl come in with her bunny all the time. She would just be walking him on a leash.. I thought it was quite impressive, especially since the pet store is on a very busy street! So I was wondering how you do it :)

we have our rabbits on a leash at the pet store. They ride in a carrier in the car. we carry them into the store, then let them down inside the building to aviod the traffic in the mall parking lot. So 3 rabbits go to the pet store regularly, on leashes, LOL! we can be quite the sight.

Haha I can imagine! I'm still not confident enough to do it with our bun (plus we don't have a car), also simply because he's massive (French Lop) and can be be a bit hard to handle sometimes! But yeah, my boyfriend loves it when rabbits come into his store!

Latest posts

Back