The Saga Continues... Rabbit doesn’t like new bag of food (same brand)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hartlea

Reaction score
hello. I am soooo frustrated this morning.
My rabbit is still being extremely fussy after having a dental done this past Wednesday... only picking at hay, but still loves eating pellets, among a couple other things.
I realized yesterday afternoon I was getting very low on his bag of oxbow essential adult food... go to the store, and I grabbed the very last bag they had on the shelf.
Anyway, this morning, I run out of the old bag, and now he really isn’t liking this new bag.
Normally, I wouldn’t freak out too much because he has other things to eat (hay), but this really can’t be happening right now because he isn’t eating much right now as is!
I had a tiny amount of the old pellets, and he gobbled them up. Now, he barely eats these new pellets. He will eat a couple, stop, and then later come back reluctantly to eat a couple more.
I AM AT A LOSS! What do I do??? As a said, right now, this is the bulk of his diet. If he won’t eat hay, now he doesn’t like the new pellets, what now?? I don’t want him going into Stasis! I am freaking out!

I would be trying other types of hay. Hay is still more important. Does he not get veggies?
I have been trying other hays, but his favorite that I have found is small pet selects 1st cutting hay, and then he loves alfalfa (but I really don’t like giving it to him...it becomes hard to get him to eat anything else when he is introduced to alfalfa). I ran out of the SPS hay early Sunday, but thankfully another box should be arriving today(a day early too, thank goodness!). He is such a fussy eater... thankfully, he finally did eat his bowl of pellets. He’s not that happy with them, but seeing the bowl finally empty is good. Let’s hope maybe he will grow to the pellets...

I wouldnt be giving him alfalfa at all. As an adult pet he does not need it and it will just create problems where its too hard to switch him off.
How much are you giving him of the pellets anyway?
It shouldnt be more then 1/4 cup per 5lbs of him.
Good youre getting the Hay back but remember taste can change batch to batch. Its grass after all. Just be prepared.

I wouldnt be giving him alfalfa at all. As an adult pet he does not need it and it will just create problems where its too hard to switch him off.
How much are you giving him of the pellets anyway?
It shouldnt be more then 1/4 cup per 5lbs of him.
Good youre getting the Hay back but remember taste can change batch to batch. Its grass after all. Just be prepared.
I avoid giving it to him at all costs but there have been times (such as after surgery) that alfalfa has been the trick to get him to start eating. He will eat some veggies, so I have been soaking them to add additional water to them. Yes... I am well aware of that. Any little change can be upsetting to him, but overall I find that he prefers the 1st cutting SPS over anything else. He tends to be sensitive anytime he goes through something, but it doesn’t make this momma worry or fret any less. I should of been expecting him to be difficult after a molar spur filing :/

I avoid giving it to him at all costs but there have been times (such as after surgery) that alfalfa has been the trick to get him to start eating. He will eat some veggies, so I have been soaking them to add additional water to them. Yes... I am well aware of that. Any little change can be upsetting to him, but overall I find that he prefers the 1st cutting SPS over anything else. He tends to be sensitive anytime he goes through something, but it doesn’t make this momma worry or fret any less. I should of been expecting him to be difficult after a molar spur filing :/
Oh, and he normally only gets 1/8th cup a day, but for now, since he is being fussy and wants softer foods, it’s way way more. (I have been making homemade pellet mush/CC to help ensure he’s eating enough/getting hydration).

Latest posts

Back