The Rabbit Addiction

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lissa

Reaction score
I'm writing an article for the humane society wherein my intention is to convince people tobecome rabbit people.Please let me know of any comments or suggestions you have. I need all the eyes I can get. :)

Something touches my nose. Something gentle. Something soft. Something warm. I am slowly awaken by this delightful tickle. A profound yet delicate warmth. My eyes open to a magnificent sight. Today is going to be a good day. I’ve been kissed by a bunny rabbit.

Whenever I tell someone that I have house rabbits, the responses I receive are almost always humorous. Needless to say, I’ve heard my fair share of hassenpfeffer jokes and ignorant comments about how "stupid" rabbits are. Are you sure your rabbit’s not a cat? You mean your rabbits goes in a litter box? Those types of questions are a part of just about every conversation. Such comments and jokes to other rabbit people may cause offense and insult, but all I can do is laugh and proceed to share with these people my experiences, which are sure to leave them dumbfounded and in disbelief.

Unlike most other companion animals, rabbits are fast to love but slow to trust us. Very instinctual by nature, they are quite hesitant to form any sort of relationship with another species, especially predators such as humans. Who could blame them? Imagine being torn from your mother at an early age only to find yourself surrounded by these gigantic animals carrying an unusual smell. Imagine being picked up fifteen feet above ground by a stranger with unknown intentions. For me to form any sort of relationship with these magical animals, I quickly learned that I needed to see things from their perspective.

I have had the pleasureful experience of living with house rabbits for the past five years. And what I’ve learned from then until now is a secret known to only those who have had the opportunity to share their lives with these enchanting creatures. I am blessed to have developed a deep and powerful connection with all of my "girls." However, with one particular rabbit, the reciprocated love has touched me beyond my own capacity. A friendship like no human relationship I’ve ever had.

Her name is Pristine. I adopted her as a baby. She was five weeks old with the most adorably curious personality. And to my surprise, she quickly clung to her new environment. Even my husband was taken back. For hours we watched this one-pound bundle of fur fly around the carpet at full speed, sniffing each corner, jumping up in the air with a twist (what we rabbit people refer to as "binkies"), then silently resting herself against the wall to catch her breath. Pristine was undoubtedly a happy bunny that was sure to bring us years of entertainment and love.

Once Pristine was somewhat litter trained, we trusted her enough to venture throughout the house. With our other house rabbit, Iszy, upstairs, we blocked off the stairway to avoid any confrontation between the two. Almost euphoric, and anxious to explore the new territory, Pristine raced around the diningroom into the kitchen and back into the livingroom where she crawled next to me on the couch to demand a petting. There on the couch we would cuddle for hours until one or both of us would fall asleep. This is now our routine.

Before we realized it, our human habitat was overtaken by a three-pound lint-making wonder. Reaching adulthood, Pristine had tried and tested our patience to the extreme. She literally tore out our hair and ate our brand new furniture. Though they are clean animals, in my experience, rabbits are often not the best housekeepers. The carpeting throughout our home has become this connect-the-dots maze of rabbit poo and uneaten parsley. On top of that, I cannot count on two hands how many times I’ve tripped and fallen over baby gates. People say I’m crazy. I believe them. Who else vacuums their home every day of the week? What sane person coats end tables with hot sauce and purchases only "rabbit friendly" furnishings? Is it normal, or even healthy, for someone to have more photo albums of small fuzzy animals than human family members? How about hours of VHS footage?

When you’re looking for an animal companion, consider a house rabbit. There are several homeless rabbits waiting for adoption at the humane society today. Defeat the myth of rabbits being timid cage creatures. Challenge your lifestyle. Open your heart. Find out what the fuss is all about. I dare you.

You know, I was thinking about that too. Hm. :ponder:

Nice article. I think it might be best to shorten it for the Humane Society version also. Remember people today tend to have short attention spans. Just keep the main points you want to convey.

Hi Lissa,

I just read your article and thoroughly enjoyed it! (Just have one wee correction for you...in the sentence:
"I am slowly awaken by this delightful tickle." in the first paragraph, you should change 'awaken' to 'awakened'.) I love the idea you're proposing, writing this for the Humane Society. So many people out there have no idea that rabbits can make wonderful companions (I've run across so many who have said to me, 'But they don't do anything!', not realizing what curious and loving pets rabbits can be.) Your article could possibly help many more bunnies be adopted.

You've obviously written this with so much love in your heart, for your own bunnies as well as all others who are waiting for new homes...your love shows through in your words. On behalf of all rabbit lovers, thank you...!

:hug:

Lissa,

As a former freelance writer (I haven't written professionally in a few years) - I loved your article. I could feel your love for your rabbits coming through and I could almost picture your rabbit with you (it helps I've seen pictures).

I've never seen the Humane Society's publications though....and one thing I was always taught to do was to match my "style" to their normal articles...for example - first person or third person - personal experience or more of a teaching style - length of article, etc. That would be my only concern - if your style matches theirs.

But the article itself is GREAT...and you might want to consider selling it to your local newspaper around Easter time when folks are thinking about bunnies...perhaps with short sidebar on "How to tell a healthy bunny" (teeth, bright eyes, etc).

I really enjoyed the emotions that your article pulled from me though...

Peg

P.S. Believe it or not our baby bunnies aren't afraid of humans and will run to us to be picked up. In fact, I was telling Art last night that I think our babies are fearless - they'll go up and rub against the cat (who then goes and hides). But I do believe that has to do with the way we raise them....and not normal for many rabbits.

Thank you for all your delightful responses.

Bassetluv - Nice catch!! :)

It's beautiful, Lissa, you did a great job! :great: :blueribbon:

Latest posts

Back