The Natty News

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T.A Bunnies wrote:
Navasota color has urned out great! looks like a promising wee buck. Is he a junior for show?
He is definitely promising! I love him. Yes, I will show him and see how he does! I think he will be a great show rabbit!

Well, it's another sunny Sunday here in Texas.

Top news today at Natty Dwarfs rabbitry: Tootsie Roll's Babies are SO CUTE! All three of them look like they have short little ears and beautiful big round heads, not to mention their bodies are very short too. I am so excited about them! Pictures soon!

Breeding News: I can't wait to get rid of Stormy's litter of 5. I think the FFA kiddos will really like them. They are making quite a stink in the rabbitry and I am not looking forward to cleaning out their cage. But as always, it is something that must be done.

Also, Bonnie girl is cooking up another litter for us. I wonder what we will get this time. She makes me wish so much that Martin was a chocolate carrier, but that's ok. Blue Silver Martens are very possible with the right combination of genes. I can't wait to see what she gives us next.

Medical News: Santee's baby, Navidad,is also going with the FFA crop, I think. EXCEPT she now has head tilt. I have absolutely no idea how she managed to contract it. Maybe there was a flaw in my handling somewhere and I handled the chocolate buck and then her, I really don't know. So I gave her some Ivomec yesterday and I hope she will get better very soon so that she can live a good happy life as a project animal (a.k.a. pet).

The chocolate buck on the other hand is doingamazing! He is much more active now and his head has actually mostly gone back to normal! You can still tell that it is tilted a little bit, but overall he is so much better. I had to feed him strictly hay for about a week because he couldn't even eat out of his feeder when his head was messed up, but he is now eating out of his feeder again! This is very encouraging. He will get another dose of Ivomec today just to make sure that stuff goes away for good.

All of the rabbits are being de-wormed with Ivomec today. I will continue to do this about every six months. In the past preventive care has not been a worry, but with all of this, it is definitely time to start worrying. Ivomec, or ivermectin, is used as a general de-wormer for may kinds of animals, including rabbits,and just happened to be the thing to use to treat head tilt also.

Show News: I am gunning for Septmber 24 to get here faster. I can't wait to show Navasota for the first time, and I am already praying that he does well so I can sell him for a good price. His head is popping out nicely and he has kept his great body, and his ears are just right. The only thing really wrong with him is his hindquarters still, they are super pinched, but he isn't undercut so I am hoping that some judges won't realize it unless they really know what they are looking for.

In addition, two people from this forum are going to be there! I am so excited to meet them. Other members of the future of the rabbit fancy... It sounds very grand. :biggrin:I love rabbit people!

Ins & Outs: I will be selling Stormy and Santee at the next show. As sweet and great as they are, they are just not good enough to make it in this next chapter of the rabbitry that is coming up. Stormy has only produced one worthwhile baby in all of her time with me, and all of the rest have been pets. I have little faith that Santee could produce anything better than her mother can, especially with how Tootsie's babies are looking right now. Just the fact that I have her mother made me decide to sell her in the first place, and she probably would have gone to west texas with that bunch had she not had Navidad.

Henry's fate is yet undecided, especially with his first batch of babies turning out quite unsatisfactory (Stormy's current litter), and his second litter which was supposed to have been with Bonnie being nonexistent. She didn't get pregnant. I also still suspect that he is a seal marten and not actually a black silver marten. At this point I am leaning towards selling him, but I may give him one more chance. If I find a really nice chinchilla buck somewhere though, he is definitely going. Two herd bucks is enough for me.

Rolo the Mini Rex is still looking for a home. He will also be making the trip to the next show and will be sold there, hopefully to a responsible MR breeder and not just someone who thinks his color is the cutest thing and that they have to have him just for that.

Oreo the Holland Lop will be going in with all the babies to be a "recycled" FFA project bunny. Hopefully this time he will be going to a kid who will keep him forever. He has certainly kept up my faith about getting into Hollands later on down the road. He is such a sweet bunny.

I hope to find some nice black otter does at the next show so that I can really start hammering down my line of rabbits. It has been 4 years already and I still have yet to get past F1's (meaning I haven't kept any of my rabbits' babies to stay in the breeding program). They just have not been good enough. I still have much hope for the future and babies like Navasota are making me even more hopeful that one day I can actually breed a top quality Netherland Dwarf Rabbit.

Wow this has turned out to be a really long update. Thank you to anyone who actually reads all of this!

And now It's time to go clean out those cages... I have really enjoyed spilling my guts here today and I hope you all will have some helpful feedback for me.

Again, Thanks!

lelanatty wrote:
Show News: I am gunning for Septmber 24 to get here faster. I can't wait to show Navasota for the first time, and I am already praying that he does well so I can sell him for a good price. His head is popping out nicely and he has kept his great body, and his ears are just right. The only thing really wrong with him is his hindquarters still, they are super pinched, but he isn't undercut so I am hoping that some judges won't realize it unless they really know what they are looking for.

In addition, two people from this forum are going to be there! I am so excited to meet them. Other members of the future of the rabbit fancy... It sounds very grand. :biggrin:I love rabbit people!

I hope to find some nice black otter does at the next show so that I can really start hammering down my line of rabbits. It has been 4 years already and I still have yet to get past F1's (meaning I haven't kept any of my rabbits' babies to stay in the breeding program). They just have not been good enough. I still have much hope for the future and babies like Navasota are making me even more hopeful that one day I can actually breed a top quality Netherland Dwarf Rabbit.

Wow this has turned out to be a really long update. Thank you to anyone who actually reads all of this!

And now It's time to go clean out those cages... I have really enjoyed spilling my guts here today and I hope you all will have some helpful feedback for me.

Again, Thanks!
Wowsounds like you have been busy!
YAY! showing season?

Good luck!:biggrin:

All of Stormy's 5 babies are gone, and so is the 4 month old project bunny. Bye bye,
13125_272341_510000002.jpg

He was a real sweetheart.

I still have Navasota of course, I just can't wait to show him! I know I have posted pictures of him, but they really don't do him justice.

And guess what? ONLY ONE MORE WEEK UNTIL THE FIRST SHOW!!!!!! SO EXCITED!

I will do a full upate tomorrow, just wanted to touch base here. Thanks to both of your for your comments.:D

Here we go again... :)

Top News: Show next week! I just can't wait until next Friday!

Breeding News: Waiting around for Bonnie's babies! She has one more week before she gets her nestbox and then she is due October 1.

Also, I have new pics of Tootsie Roll's babies! They are 3 weeks old!

13125_181736_490000000.jpg

13125_181736_490000001.jpg

13125_181736_490000002.jpg

Medical News: Navidad just kept getting worse and worse, but she is showing a bit of promise now. I am going to let her alone for a while and see if she continues to get better.

Show News: Can't wait until September 24 & 25! I am really really really wanting to show Navasota! I can't wait until he wows the judges (hopefully, haha) but he has been wonderful for me so far. I really hope and :pray: that he does well because it's about time Natty Dwarfs Rabbitry gets some more wins. :p At least I think so.

Here he is today:

13125_181736_490000003.jpg

Ins & Outs: They are gone! All Gone! All those horrible babies. Now they are in new homes where they will be babied even more! Bye bye all of you guys! It was nice having you!

13125_181840_010000000.jpg

:) And again, I can't wait til the show next week to sell Stormy and Santee and see who I bring home with me!

I think I will be getting a silver marten doe from a friend of mine, and possibly a chinchilla doe too. I would prefer to find a chinchilla buck and otter does, but we'll see what we find. That's one thing I really like about shows. You never know what you will find there and how much promise it will hold for you.

I will do a full post tomorrow, but I must say that the show was AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Probably the most fun I have ever had at a show. I only showed one rabbit, but I got to talk to so many people.

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Finally I have time to post this. School is really hectic these past couple of weeks. We are now in full swing.

Top News: Show Results and New bunnies! An Otter doe, a silver marten doe, and a Vienna Mark doe!

Breeding News: Still waiting for Bonnie's babies! She is due this Friday and has been digging in her nestbox like crazy! This is her trying to dig a deeper "burrow" at the back of her nestbox.

13125_291920_290000000.jpg

Also, Tootsie's babies are getting bigger! Unfortunately, so are their ears. This is what happened with Navidad also, her ears stayed small and cute until she was 4 weeks old, but then they ballooned and became huge. I will have t ait and see. I am certinly thinking about keeping the little doe because her head is just awesome. The two little boys aren't quite as good though. Here they are cuddling in their cage and the nestbox:

13125_291919_170000003.jpg

13125_291919_170000004.jpg

And lastly, I bred Stormy on Monday to Navasota so that I can see of he carries dilute, and one of my new does, a silver marten, to Henry because her HQ is extremely pinched and his is just about the opposite of that.

Show News: Navasota, our little hopeful, didnt do as well as I had hoped he would. He started into a molt because I wormed the rabbits a couple of weeks ago. That certainly didn't help him. There was another junior buck there that beat him both times he went up against him. I will show him again in December once he gets out of the molt and has some more time to develop. He will be almost six months old then. Here he is after we got back:

13125_291920_290000003.jpg

Medical News: Navidad is doing much much better and I will be giving her another dose of Ivomec very soon. She has learned to eat out of her feeder and drink from her bottle even with that horrible condtion that her head is in. Here she is in her cage wondering what I am doing taking a picture of her:

13125_291920_290000001.jpg

Ins & Outs: Finally the moment you have all been waiting for! Let me introduce you to the new Ladies of Natty Dwarfs Rabbitry!!

13125_291919_160000000.jpg

This is Tank's Eris, Black Otter. She is a very very pretty girl, I love hertype but her coat is definitely not in condition right now. Beautiful ears and eyes, fairly good head, and nice short body. She is a great brood doe. She has had a litter already and produced a sable marten. Her father is a Silver Marten and a very good one at that. He beat Martin at our county shows. I am very excited to have her here but I unfortunately can't breed her yet. It appears that she has vent disease. Gladly it is fixable with Penicillin which I still have a lot of from the last time I had to deal with this disease. I will certainly have to be careful if/when I have any further dealings with this breeder.

13125_291919_170000001.jpg

This is Big Valley's CU, Black Silvver Marten. She still needs an official name. All she has is her tattoo right now. Are there any girl names that start with Cu or can you think of the name of any river that starts with Cu? She is a fairly nice typed doe, I am hoping she will make good babies with Henry, whom she was bred to today. Aside from being extremely pinched in the hindquarter and being morbidly obese right now, she should be a pretty good brood doe. I hope her having such narrow hips won't affect her ability to make babies. I can't wait to see what she produces!

13125_291919_170000002.jpg

13125_291921_270000000.jpg

And last but not least, this is Babbs, Black Vienna Mark. She was given to me for free by my cousin who couldn't keep her anymore and of course knows me as the rabbit girl. She is very big and very broody, but at least she is a Netherland Dwarf. She is very good in type. I especially like her head and eyes. she does have a pretty short body too, though that is affected by her being a BUD. The only bad thing about her is that her ears are too long, but they are thick. I will have to borrow a BEW buck to breed her to and see what she can produce. There is no chance of me selling her though for sentimental reasons, plus she doesn't have any trace of a pedigree. I used to wonder why everyone had at least one BEW in their herd even if they don't raise that color,and now I've got mine, Haha. :pI don't know when she will get bred, but for right now she is keeping Navasota company. He was getting lonely after hishalf-brother nephew left and was sold to an FFA kid, and that was the last cage open that I could fill up.

At the show this weekend we also said a bitter-sweet goodbye to Santee:

13125_162349_420000000.jpg

She had been in my rabbitry since she was six weeks old. Now I have her daughter here, who will hopefully be her replacement once she gets better from her illness. Santee is going on to be a brood doe with another breeder. I will miss her but I am glad she will be helpingsomeone else.

Also, Stormy will be leaving us in December. I am selling her to a very good friend of mine who I know will take very good care of her. Until then, so that she doesn't get fat, I have bred her again, to Navasota so that I can see if he carries the dilute gene that both his mother and father do. I can only hope that her last litter for me will be her best yet.

That's all for now,

Lela

Top News: New baby bunnies! AND another new bunny!

Breeding News: Bonnie's babies have finally arrived! There is one black otter/marten, one black, and one blue otter/marten. Here are the babies:

13125_031124_130000000.jpg

And after all her hard work, I caught Bonnie resting.

13125_031124_130000002.jpg

Medical News: Navidad is improving every day.

Show News: The next show will be October 16 in Seguin, Texas.

Ins & Outs: I got another new rabbit! She was given to me by a friend who could no longer keep her. She is a beautiful Broken Chocolate Otter BUD with excellent spot patterning. I absolutely love her. She still needs a name butI am working on that. Here she is:

13125_031124_130000001.jpg

Latest posts

Back