The Mystery of Dewlaps

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Emmy has a dewlap too but she hasn't been bred before.

emmyy2.jpg

Bumping up for the fun of it, and adding some pictures. Guess who lost her dewlap?:bunnydance:

This is Fey not long after coming home. Sorry for the fuzzy pic. Her previous diet was poor quality pellets and nothing else. In addition to her floppy skin-pouch of a dewlap, her fur was harsh and brittle and she had a big belly although she was really bony. The vet did not consider her overweight when she was spayed a month after this picture.
153wegk.jpg

Fey now, after a diet of limited timothy pellets, lots of grass hay, and daily veggies:
153wh79.jpg

Her fur is really soft now and there's only a tiny roll under her jaw which isn't even visible most of the time.

Neat, huh? Word to the wise, get decent pellets, especially if that's all you'll be feeding. Purina and other feed store brands are actually less expensive and more nutritious than the Small World pellets she was getting.:rollseyes:

manda wrote:
Ryo has a tad of a dewlap. and shes never been bred, and shes spayed. shes not overweight either
Yup, lots of rabbits just naturally get dewlaps. I thought Fey was like that too, but apparently it was just from bad nutrition.

I actually think dewlaps are cute. Did you see Elf's picture a few pages back, with her Lap of Dewness?:D

manda wrote:
Ryo has a tad of a dewlap. and shes never been bred, and shes spayed. shes not overweight either
My male who is not over weight has a dewlap.:laugh:

Latest posts

Back