The Mystery of Dewlaps

Discussion in 'General Rabbit Discussion' started by Carolyn, Jan 24, 2005.

Help Support Rabbits Online by donating:

1. Jan 30, 2005 #41

Carolyn

Carolyn

Carolyn

Gabby,

I was surprised to hear that they neutered him at 6 years old. Don'tknow what breed of rabbit it was. Only have that short clip on it.

Kathy also sent a note from a woman's Californian who had multiplelitters before going to foster care, but had no trace of a dewlap.

As John Lennon said, "The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know."

-Carolyn

2. Jan 30, 2005 #42

Gabby

Gabby

Gabby

Carolyn wrote:
    Some will, .. My vet doesn't like to preform surgeryon rabbits over 5 really, She has, but generally it's ones that needit, like Daphnee's face, and for her hip(well not surgery, but theyhave to be drugged for that) She compared doing surgery on a bunny 7and over like doing surgery on a 14 or 15 year old cat, you just don'tdo it unless you have to. Course there are those I have met thatbelieve you have to alter a bun reguardless of age even if it cost thatbun their life. Reminds me of a story someone was trying to prove theirpoint how you had to neuter even old rabbits,Sheaquired a bun in his late years and just had to neuterhim, he was 11, and he died during surgery... but all she could saywas, well I got him neutered like he shouldbe.:?Personally, with older buns, or ones who wouldhave a hard time with surgery, I would much rather spend the precioustime they have enjoying their company, rather than opting for somethingelective...

3. Jan 30, 2005 #43

Carolyn

Carolyn

Carolyn

I'm with you on that train of thought, Gabby. Fauna's 5. I got her at4.5 years old. Didn't want to do it then because I didn't want to takethe chance. Maybe she could've taken it, but still, I opted out becausethe risk was too high at her age.

I'd have to look it up in the "Rabbit Years" website in the Cheat Sheetfor Rabbit Care post and see what 4.5 years old for her computes to inhuman years.

Glad you pointed out what you did about doing the surgery at that age. :)

-Carolyn

4. Jan 30, 2005 #44

sandhills_rabbits

sandhills_rabbits

sandhills_rabbits

I havent noticed any prominent dewlaps on any ofmy buns yet, but then again all my babies are about a year or so old,and younger. It looks like Amaretto, my flemish-holland cross will beprone to dewlap-iness, but I love the look of a cute dewlap on a cutebunny..... It's just more bunny to love!!!

5. Jan 30, 2005 #45

dr_peter_kraz

dr_peter_kraz

dr_peter_kraz

Well thats a great question. As we'veseen with Faye I have alittle know how when it comes to rabbits anddewlaps. Faye always uses it as a pillow. The doesare the main recipients of dewlaps. I know some males havesmall one but if theres a way to identify a doe it most definitely thatbig dewlap(other then organs of course). I also agree with aprevious writer that the doe will often use fur for the dewlap to makea nest. The books give mention that the doe will pull fromthe stomach but when Faye makes a nest (for herself, maybe to show shecould be a good mom) its always from the dewlap. Faye alsohas never been breeded and started to develop a dewlap after her age ofinnocence (1 year). It leads me to believe that dewlaps arepron to developin females for reproduction proposes( I'mready to be a mom).

Peter:D

6. Jan 31, 2005 #46

gjsara

gjsara

gjsara

wait wait ive got it females grow dewlaps to resttheir tired heads !!! it makes sence you dont need a pillow if ya growone eh eh its so they look like they are awake when the kids aregetting rowdie lol

sara

7. Jan 31, 2005 #47

Gabby

Gabby

Gabby

Carolyn wrote:
    i don't think it's fair when some people push others into "you have yohave this surgery, you have to get it done" I think it's a verypersonal thing for each person. We a person bring a bun in to bespayed, young bun too mind you, but she just wsn't breathing the way wewould like when she was under, so we told him we would not do thesurgery. There are people out there who would tell him heshould have insisted on having it done...The vet advised agains it,because she was uncomfortable with the buns breathing, thatwould be enough for me.

If it was she has a broken leg and the bone was sticking out, then yeahwe would have had to go through with it.i don't know that it can everbe judged on a whole, i think it's a case by case situation...I thinksome are better able to tollerate and withstand more thanothers.

I think Daphnee is an extreamly strong rabbit, she has withstood somuch already, some other buns wouldn't have made it as far as her, butshe's a fighter i think...

8. Feb 1, 2005 #48

dr_peter_kraz

dr_peter_kraz

dr_peter_kraz

Hey sara look at this pillow(i'm sure you've seen it already, but for others check it out!!)

9. Feb 1, 2005 #49

Elf Mommy

Elf Mommy

Elf Mommy

OK, now...this thread just isn't complete with out this ;) LOL

10. Feb 7, 2005 #50

Bo B Bunny

Bo B Bunny

Bo B Bunny

Bumping for stuartsmith :)

11. Feb 17, 2005 #51

Fergi

Fergi

Fergi

Right here..."pointing finger to pa, Minnesota, US
    So re-reading this post has made me think of aquestion. Is it possible that Diva is overweight at only 5 months old?She has an enormous dewlap in my opinion. She is still allowed to eatwhat she wants and gets a bit of the calf manna supplement everynight.She does not get treats, just hay and pellets (alright the occasionalcraisin too!).

So Carolyn, how big is Cali now? Here's Diva!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can see how broad her chest is...she is getting huge! Already a little under 14 lbs!

Fergi's mom

12. Feb 18, 2005 #52

pamnock

pamnock

pamnock

Wow!!!! Diva has really grown! She looks like she's going to be HUGE at maturity!!

Pam

13. Feb 18, 2005 #53

mambo101

mambo101

mambo101

That is one serious dewlap!!:D

14. Feb 18, 2005 #54

lanna21974

lanna21974

lanna21974

15. Feb 18, 2005 #55

Buck Jones

Buck Jones

Buck Jones

Looks like the picture of a classic flemish from Bob Whitman's book, Domestic Rabbits & Their Histories.

Buck

16. Feb 18, 2005 #56

Carolyn

Carolyn

Carolyn

Fergi wrote:

Look at ourBaby!![​IMG]She'sreally 'filling out', Fergi!

Cali's got a broad chest like that as well. I don't know howmuch Cali weighs. I have to get her on a scale. Idon't have one at my house, I really have to make a point of gettingher weighed. I get asked that question alot.Once I do, you'll be the first to know.

I love her littlemouth in that first picture. She'sso gorgeous.

-Carolyn

17. Feb 18, 2005 #57

Rebecca

Rebecca

Rebecca

not neccessarily what they are for. years ago- mydoes would pluck the hair from bellies to make a nest for babies about24 hrs before birthing.:cool:

18. Feb 25, 2005 #58

Carolyn

Carolyn

Carolyn

Fauna's dewlap is so large that she can't seebelow it. She uses the ramp to her cage because otherwise,she can't see how far the jump out of it is.

-Carolyn

19. Aug 10, 2005 #59

dajeti2

dajeti2

dajeti2

I have a question. I wonder if nutrition affects dewlaps?

The reason I am is asking is I have noticed that Koda came tome with a very small odd shaped dewlap. She was a bit overweight. Sincebeing here and on a diet she has some wieght. But her dewlap has filledout some.

Here is what it looked like when she got here.
    [​IMG]

Here it is now
    [​IMG]

Tina

20. Aug 10, 2005 #60

pamnock

pamnock

pamnock

Just like people with their "problem areas", diet as well as genetics can be factors.

Pam