The media reporting on parade rampage

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Who is MM? I didn't see comments by MM.

Anyway, I feel bad for the horses because now they are probably facing euthanisia (sp?) even though it wasn't their fault.

I'm shocked at how serious some of those injuries were..and the fact that someone was killed. People must have been struck by the carriage they were towing, or knocked down by people as everyone tried to move out of the way.

Emily

Horses in parades should have someone at the lead. I saw a hitch bolt at a fair we were at - very frightening.

We used to drive ponies and I had them bolt on occasion. One pony flipped the cart when I was driving with my baby daughter. Luckily, I had her in a car seat and she was not injured.

Horses are large and easily spooked - a very dangerous combination in a crowd.

pamnock wrote:
Horses are large and easily spooked - a very dangerous combination in a crowd.
That is why it's so important to expose your horses to any and all situations if you are planning to use them in parades, shows, etc.

Makes you really appreciate a nice broke "bomb proof" horse. Look what kind of things that the mounted police horses are exposed to. It takes a special horse to do the things that are expected of them.

Maybe I'm just really emotional right now, but that article made me cry big time :( What a horrible thing to have happened. The man sounds like he tried his best to stop the horses.

What a terrible tradgey; I feel so badly for that man, his family, and the onlookers. :(

IMHO, animals have no place in parades. Parades are sensory trainwrecks even for the human animal; so many loud and confusing sounds, excessive visuals, myriad of smells. I've seen plenty of PEOPLE have panic attacks during parades. Putting horses - especially ones not specifically and intensively trained for crowd endeavors as police horses have been - in such an environment is an accident waiting to happen.

Even bomb proof horses aren't so bomb proof in a parade. I took a fall at a parade-many years ago- thankfully it was before it started, and we were waiting our turn to start and Starbuck was a bombproof horse, nothing had EVER fazed him before. Something got him and he freaked. HOrses just simply don't belong in a parade. I know a guy that had his draft team trained in crowd control so he could do practically everything with them-even parades, weddings, proms. Those were the only horses I trusted at the parade from then on-not to mention we never rode in it again.

Latest posts

Back