The Life & Times of Felix 'n' Clementine!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel awful. :(

This afternoon I sat down and gave the buns a handful of lucerne hay, and Felix came and sat next to me and I was rubbing his head. He was so relaxed, and recently I've been practicing having the buns remain calm while being held, and when I went to go pick him up softly he seemed okay with it. I tried holding him while I was on the ground but he was struggling, so I stood (previously he's calmed down after standing up, maybe because he no longer sees escaping to the ground as an option). However he struggled REALLY hard and as I was going to go put him down, he LEAPED from my arms and landed on the floor. :( :( :(

He seems okay physically - moving normally, eating. He did nudge my hand away angrily when I went to go pet him, and I've given him a treat and fed him a handful of lucerne hay from my hand, but I just feel so awful. He's probably terrified of me and feels that I betrayed his trust and I just can't help feeling so guilty. I don't think I'll try picking him up again - if I have to take him anywhere, I'll just put him in a box/carrier. I'm so sorry, my little guy! :(

Aww, it's ok, he's ok so you don't have to feel awful. The first time I took Bandit to the vet, it was a horrible time. The Vet tried to tip/shake him out of his carrier when I couldn't get him out. Then I was supposed to be holding him on the table and he got out of my grip, leaped off the table (slippery so he didn't jump well) and landed badly so he cut his lip on his teeth and it was bleeding. I felt so awful. But it's not your fault though. Every time I used to pick Bandit up he would struggle and try to climb over my shoulder and get away and I would get so scratched up, but I was determined that first of all, I wouldn't put him down until he stopped struggling, and secondly of course, I didn't want to drop him. Thankfully after lots of practice with picking him up he started to accept it. He still doesn't like to be held and carried around, but he'll let me hold him and get to wherever we need to be without scratching etc.

If you're ever in a situation where you do need to pick him up in some sort of emergency or something, you can always also use a towel to help bundle him up as you pick him up so there's less chance of him jumping out of your arms. Lots of pets and treats should dissolve any bad feelings he has towards you, but I'm sure he still loves you. You're his treat dispenser after all :p

I pet him for ages afterwards (he stopped nudging my hand away at least :)) and gave him a full treat, whereas I normally only give them half at a time. He seems to have forgiven me for now, haha.

Two of my buns hate being picked up but when I go to pick them up for a hug I put one hand on there chest & the other on the rump, then pick up- that way they can't run off and cause damage from catching them wrong & the don't struggle at all. I then pat there crowns (which are so soft n fluffy :) ) and then lay with them on the bed scratching their cheeks & crowns & next minute they are teeth purring & grooming me back! This is what Darcy does and he HATES being pick up but looooves the snuggling :)

Don't feel bad I think it's probably happened to more than one of us as,well. I had the same thing with Houdini, he jumped out of my.arms on to the floor. Thay first moment of panic before you see they ate Ok is awful. I kept doing it and now although he's not a great fan of being held, he even lets me pet him. He will forgive you, he.knows you only want what is best for him.

I'm sure Felix is ok now! Most of my rabbits and dogs! have done that. I have chihuahua's who are little... I feel awful right after it happens and then, PHEW... I feel better seeing that they are ok.. and the bunny burrito thing with the blanket or towel will also work just in case he gets wiggly again..

Vanessa

Clementine spent all afternoon with me on the couch, and flopped and slept against my foot while I napped. Cutie!

tumblr_n1x6lsqqd11qadoszo1_500.jpg

Your rabbits are adorable!! I adore Clementine's little face!

I know that rabbits can hold a grudge, but they seem to get over it quickly. Bella had a bit of gas episode over the weekend, and she looked at me funny for a day or two afterwards. (She doesn't like simethicone AT ALL) She does have a cute little pink chin, now, lol.

3209398.jpg

Ulp!

Felix has definitely started shedding, and I only assume it's going to get worse from here. He's quite a short-haired rabbit so it could be a lot worse - Clementine's sheds will be more difficult to deal with. I'm more concerned about Clementine and Felix ingesting the hair while they're grooming - I found a poop with a hair poking out of it, which concerned me. None strung together, thankfully, and hopefully I'll be able to avoid that completely. I'm definitely thinking of following Imbrium's advice and getting a furminator, although Felix loooooves having the brush rubbed over him! :D I could feel his teeth chattering away the whole time.

Ahh, the shedding :D Even daily brushing wasn't enough to keep the fur tumbleweeds from appearing during Bandit's shed. He's still losing a bit down near his butt, but seems to thankfully be nearing the end at last. The best you can do, is simply brush daily, or twice daily and pet away as much loose hair as you can. I have been finding some hair in Bandit's poop, but it's usually only 2 strung together poops once a day, with everything else still moving through. I'm sure they'll be fine, just be aware that you're going to have fur everywhere :p

Felix is doing well with his shed! I'm managing okay with a normal brush, but I need to get a finer comb to help get rid of the loose hairs. :)

I forgot to mention that the manager I was complaining about earlier resigned! It's made work a lot calmer; everyone seems happier and more positive now which is great. I'm also looking into other options within the company to do more interesting things, and my new manager seems interested in keeping me on track with that.

We also applied for yet another house yesterday. It was a small one, but bigger than our current house. Brand new dishwasher, double-storey, very pretty, and a much better location. And it's affordable! The only "err" factor is that the owner was quite adamant that pets remain outside. I may have told a white lie and said that Felix and Clementine live outside... they're clean, though, and don't leave any permanent marks, so it shouldn't be any problem. The last tenant had a dog that completely destroyed part of the floor, and the woman didn't repair it very well, so there's an odd stain from a different colour varnish that she used. I pretty much always have carpets/blankets underneath my guys anyway.

My partner caught me red-handed looking at my breeder's site earlier today, just to see what she had available. I KNOW I shouldn't get any more bunnies, but I just needed to share this absolute cutie:

IMAG3431-1.jpg

Glad to hear that things are going well with Felix's shedding and your work. :)

You mean like my whole "Of course Bandit is only inside on really hot days like we agreed..." :p To be honest, it can be a little stressful at times. The landlord technically has to give us warning for any visit, but if there was some sort of emergency, or I locked myself out and had to call her, it would obviously be a problem. If you can avoid it at all, I would. Best of luck with the house though, I certainly understand that it can be much more relaxing living in a house that's more comfortable for you. When my fiance and I were first looking at rentals, there were plenty that were more suited to our price range, but ultimately, we wouldn't have been as happy in them because they didn't have as much space or the green space that this one has so it's worth the bit extra in rent.

That bunny is such a cutie :D Don't feel too guilty, I look at rescue sites etc all the times at rabbits and cats. I can't help it. I like to consider it research ;)

It's always good to move to somewhere new that you really like. I am sure that after a period as long as the house is clean and you pay on time the may not mind if they do catch you but better if it's your little secret.

Shedding is hell now,I am sure I have an allergy yo their fine hair but just have to put up with it, I can hardly get rid of them lol.

That little bun is such a cutie. I was in the pet shop again yesterday looking at the buns. They have some adorable ones but I will resist :p

Glad to hear that things are going well with Felix's shedding and your work. :)

You mean like my whole "Of course Bandit is only inside on really hot days like we agreed..." :p To be honest, it can be a little stressful at times. The landlord technically has to give us warning for any visit, but if there was some sort of emergency, or I locked myself out and had to call her, it would obviously be a problem. If you can avoid it at all, I would. Best of luck with the house though, I certainly understand that it can be much more relaxing living in a house that's more comfortable for you. When my fiance and I were first looking at rentals, there were plenty that were more suited to our price range, but ultimately, we wouldn't have been as happy in them because they didn't have as much space or the green space that this one has so it's worth the bit extra in rent.

That bunny is such a cutie :D Don't feel too guilty, I look at rescue sites etc all the times at rabbits and cats. I can't help it. I like to consider it research ;)
I wish it were just my partner and I... we're moving with our current two housemates, and another friend of ours. I don't mind the new friend we'll be moving in with, since he's quite clean and understands my annoyances with our current housing situation, but I have had problems with the other two for the past few years we've all lived together. Nothing major, just small things, but my partner has been close friends with them since high school so he's quite passive towards them. If I ever have a problem, I have to bring it up with them myself and be pretty direct to make it hit home, which kind of just paints me as the bossy girlfriend. :(

It's always good to move to somewhere new that you really like. I am sure that after a period as long as the house is clean and you pay on time the may not mind if they do catch you but better if it's your little secret.

Shedding is hell now,I am sure I have an allergy yo their fine hair but just have to put up with it, I can hardly get rid of them lol.

That little bun is such a cutie. I was in the pet shop again yesterday looking at the buns. They have some adorable ones but I will resist :p
Oh my gosh, isn't she? I am... considering... but resisting. But awww, her little face! She was previously spoken for pending pickup, but that's now been removed from the site, so I guess they went with a different bun.

The new house we looked at is really nice - a little small, but still bigger than our current place. It's in a great location, I could WALK to work, which is completely out of the question at our current place.

Talked to the guy who owns the house we were hoping to rent. Apparently the thing that's putting another application above ours is... dun dun dun, MY BUNNIES.

:rollseyes

Ughhhh, no other property managers have had problems with them! This was the one time where I thought the owner liked us and was going to let us rent the place, but he's not happy with the bunnies being there at all, even if they're kept outside most of the time (which they, uh, would totally be... yeah...).

Aww, that sucks. Well, he probably realises that "of course our bunnies will be outside" does not actually mean that :p Might have had problems with other tenants in the past. If you don't get it, it might just be an opportunity to find a place where you can have them inside. Sorry to hear about your other roommates too, I imagine it can be hard trying to balance that out. Don't suppose there's any chance of you two moving somewhere on your own?

Nope, boyfriend isn't keen on that at all. :( He'd rather save money and live with twelve million people!

In the meantime...

tumblr_n2kr13MgR51qadoszo1_500.png

tumblr_n2ks08V8tM1qadoszo1_500.png

tumblr_n2kshr9oZm1qadoszo1_500.png

tumblr_n2kuyubWPq1qadoszo1_500.png

tumblr_n2kv27Om3M1qadoszo1_500.png

tumblr_n2kv3ujAja1qadoszo1_500.png

tumblr_n2kv3ujAja1qadoszo2_500.png

tumblr_n2kv52DxYu1qadoszo1_500.png

tumblr_n2kv6btX3x1qadoszo1_500.png

Latest posts

Back