The Life of Having a Herd

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At one time, 31 dependents to care for. Three abandoned buns captured, two unspayed females delivered 16 babies prior to their spay day.

Routines have not stopped since I began volunteering at the shelter, and retiring from cottontail rehab.

Hubby and I are truly kept busy, and enjoy everyone's individual personalities.
Less than 31 now, and all are sp/eutered. My special needs' girls (all girls) continue to hold a special place in my heart. One boy, a Tan, from high-volume, high-euth, shelter became a kisser as he mellowed with age. Lots of snugglers and kissers over the years.

Shopping for Supplies, interaction, and cuddle time near my chest or on our laps, daily play shifts, obtaining hay bales, DVM appts., keep us busy.

All our mutts, rescues and adopteds, captured strays, leave a memory that will never be dismissed.

24/7 - no vacations.

I have 2 buns who should be bonded by the end of the week 😅. One senior free rome spayed doe and 1 orange baby lionhead who got neutered last month! Dandy (the boy) is very naughty and very confident to the point where he will jump out of his 3.5 foot cage and jumps onto my mothers bed and enjoys inhaling food off the floor in his free time 🤣...Tuli (the girl) is very lazy and spends most of her time sleeping on her favorite bed and eating her daily salad

I come down to feed the rabbits as soon as I wake up in the morning. I feed them their food but they each get something different; the three males get 16%, but I have to scatter two of the males pellets because they inhale it; the nursing mother gets 18%; the pregnant doe a week in gets a mix of 16% and 18% and the last dry doe gets 16% again because her breeding didn’t take.
I start feeding the rabbits starting with the bucks, two of which are eating out of the bowl as I pour the pellets in (Chia and Layke), the other buck is trying to jump out of his crate as I feed him (Forrest), the pregnant doe has fur in her poop again so I need to give her papaya support again (Bluebell), my only dry doe is running and popcorning around her crate (Fern), and I get to the nursing doe (Primrose) last because I need to check the babies and she hops out of the crate every single time.
I remember that I need to clean the nest box and so I pull the box out and take the babies out and place them in a basket. Primrose is running around the room, running past the most hormonal buck (Forrest) in the room, so he’s running around his crate in excitement, the buck above him is wondering what is going on, Chia is standing at the front of his crate curious on what is going on, the two other does don’t care.
So, I’m emptying the nesting box while all of this is going on. The babies are sleeping in the basket. Primrose is now on top of the bins of pellets
View attachment 57403
I go over to the hay box and find there’s only about three handfuls left, so I steal some from the rack of one of the rabbits I just refilled. I put the babies back in the nesting box but don’t put them back in the crate yet because I need to clean it out because Primrose refuses to be litter trained.
After I clean the cage and get the nest box back in the crate my dad calls me from upstairs saying goodbye so I go give him a hug and come back downstairs to find that Primrose is gone, I panic but grab the jar full of her favorite treats (original Cheerios) and shake it to get her attention. She comes running and hops in her crate, I give her some Cheerios and lock her up.
That’s not all I’ll be doing for rabbit today. I need to cut all the rabbits nails today (except the babies) and also need to clean all the crates.
Awww you chose adorable names for your buns uwuuuu. I understand your hardships with buns. So unpredictable and cute! I had 13 rescue buns once and finally rehomed them all except my boy Bandit XD

I know how painful that must be, I have 4 baby bunnies, 2 adult bunnies, and 3 other bunnies downstairs. the babies are so hard to keep track of, one time I let them free roam and I lost one of them. I was looking for forever until I heard some strange noises from the closet. he somehow locked himself in there. I nearly had a heart attack.

I know how painful that must be, I have 4 baby bunnies, 2 adult bunnies, and 3 other bunnies downstairs. the babies are so hard to keep track of, one time I let them free roam and I lost one of them. I was looking for forever until I heard some strange noises from the closet. he somehow locked himself in there. I nearly had a heart attack.
😂 I cannot tell you how many times I almost lost baby bunnies to the wilds of my room.

Oh gosh Xd...onetime my bunny jumped into a closed cabinet (the cabinet has a opening from the underside) and he couldnt get out and I was freaking out looking everywhere when I heard some thudding and gentley opened up the cabinet door to see him squished in between a bunch of random stuff 😢🤣....ya no I just leave the door open cause I dont trust him Xd Did I mention he is a baby orange lionhead 🥰...I got him from the local shelter where a foster home was keeping him and his siblings (it was a accidental litter and the people were taking really bad care of the rabbits so they ditched them at the shelter)

We have six, three bonded pairs. They don't seem to be much trouble, at all; but, at the end of the day when I ask myself "Well, what did I do, today?" I realize most of the time was spent on bunny chores of one kind or another; and, I didn't even realize it. ;)

The best part of it is, my wife loves our buns as much as I do. We love grooming them, together. They brighten her day by visiting as she works in her sewing room.

Taking care of our buns is a pleasure. I love spending time with them. They seem to enjoy my company and, for sure, I enjoy theirs. They light up our lives. It just doesn't get any better than that. :)

I come down to feed the rabbits as soon as I wake up in the morning. I feed them their food but they each get something different; the three males get 16%, but I have to scatter two of the males pellets because they inhale it; the nursing mother gets 18%; the pregnant doe a week in gets a mix of 16% and 18% and the last dry doe gets 16% again because her breeding didn’t take.
I start feeding the rabbits starting with the bucks, two of which are eating out of the bowl as I pour the pellets in (Chia and Layke), the other buck is trying to jump out of his crate as I feed him (Forrest), the pregnant doe has fur in her poop again so I need to give her papaya support again (Bluebell), my only dry doe is running and popcorning around her crate (Fern), and I get to the nursing doe (Primrose) last because I need to check the babies and she hops out of the crate every single time.
I remember that I need to clean the nest box and so I pull the box out and take the babies out and place them in a basket. Primrose is running around the room, running past the most hormonal buck (Forrest) in the room, so he’s running around his crate in excitement, the buck above him is wondering what is going on, Chia is standing at the front of his crate curious on what is going on, the two other does don’t care.
So, I’m emptying the nesting box while all of this is going on. The babies are sleeping in the basket. Primrose is now on top of the bins of pellets
View attachment 57403
I go over to the hay box and find there’s only about three handfuls left, so I steal some from the rack of one of the rabbits I just refilled. I put the babies back in the nesting box but don’t put them back in the crate yet because I need to clean it out because Primrose refuses to be litter trained.
After I clean the cage and get the nest box back in the crate my dad calls me from upstairs saying goodbye so I go give him a hug and come back downstairs to find that Primrose is gone, I panic but grab the jar full of her favorite treats (original Cheerios) and shake it to get her attention. She comes running and hops in her crate, I give her some Cheerios and lock her up.
That’s not all I’ll be doing for rabbit today. I need to cut all the rabbits nails today (except the babies) and also need to clean all the crates.
I'm exhausted just reading this lol

Ah, today was just as chaotic ladies and gentlemen. I did my normal morning routine when I realized one of my bucks was shaking his head in annoyance and scratching near his ears. See I’ve seen mites before and they can be nasty. I took him out and examined his ears. I took him to my mom who cleaned them out. We’re not really sure if he has mites but we decided to be safe. So I ended up treated all the rabbits for mites. And that’s on top of my three molting rabbits, one which needs to be brushed two times a day because she’s having “hair balls.”
Great start to the day 🙄

Latest posts

Back