The inn is full- 2 new bunnies!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnowyShiloh

Reaction score
WOW! That's all I can say. We have two new baby bunnies! The story: Last night we went to Petco to get a bag of litter and a betta fish right before they closed. Paul dropped me off so I could go in and he went to another store. I accidentally forgot my wallet so couldn't get the litter and we went back today.

You know how Petco has the adoptions table for people who come in and abandon/drop off animals? Well, on the table yesterday there had been a tarantula and a snake... Now there were FIVE little baby mini rexes there instead! Squealing commenced, an employee was quickly summoned, and within about a minute and a half we decided to adopt two of the little ones. I'm 90% sure we have a boy and a girl. We're so excited! The babies will grow up together so should hopefully bond nicely and of course we'll get the boy neutered as soon as he's old enough (then the girl shortly after).

The people who surrendered them to the store say they're only 6 weeks old because their mom and dad had another litter a few days ago and apparently Mom abandoned this litter, but they look really healthy and are very bright eyed, curious, and don't seem scared. Of course our home is very calm and free of scary things (cats, dogs, small kids) and I'm plenty familiar with rabbits so I think they'll do just fine even though they're a little young!

The kicker? Just last night we were talking about getting a mini rex (Paul loves them) and just last night I moved Ned into a new cage so we already had his nice, clean old cage for them to move into.

Okay, I know you guys are really here for the pictures, so here you go!

The black and white one is the little girl and the brown and white one is the little boy.

IMG_5977.jpg

Me looking very excited:

IMG_5983.jpg

Little lady:
IMG_5986.jpg

IMG_5987.jpg

Dudelet:
IMG_5990.jpg

IMG_5992.jpg

We adore these little ones already! They melt into your arms and are so sweet and perfect. At the moment the little boy is loafing on top of a cardboard box in the cage. Oh and we did NOT get a betta fish after all because two baby bunnies trump any fish in awesomeness :D And I'm so glad I forgot my wallet yesterday because we never would have come back and seen them otherwise!

Also in case anyone is worried- Yes, these were essentially impulse buys, but anyone who knows me on the forum knows that I'm 100% devoted to my pets. I've had rabbits for 11 years all together (almost half my life). My bunnies are spoiled mercilessly and these babies will be no different!

We went to Wal Mart to get a container to be the litter box and had a hard time finding one with low enough sides for the babies to get in and out of. Ended up picking one with lower sides and took it home. Put it in the cage and the little boy immediately tried to hop in but is so small that he got stuck on the edge with his front half in the litter box and has back half out! He wiggled his way in and promptly tinkled in the corner :D What a good boy!

We're probably going to name them Maximus Hopp and Mabel Hopp. Maximus after the adorable horse from the movie Tangled, plus he is really a gorgeous little bunny (his eyes are gray and has such long lashes) that he deserves a stately name. AND he's about the size of a hamster so Maximus is pretty funny :D As for Mabel, my mother-in-law's best friend is an elderly lady named Mabel Hopp and I've always thought it was the perfect bunny name. Mabel sends us tons of homemade jelly each summer. I asked her a couple years ago if it would offend her if we named a rabbit Mabel Hopp and she thought it was hilarious. And my little Holland Lop who died 3 years ago was nicknamed Mae Mae so I like the idea of having another little Mae around the house.

Shiloh, they are so freaking adorable. Well, you already know how I feel about Mae's ;)I think the names are great. Your lil girl is beautiful but I must admit, I am stunned by your boy. Oh my oh my... He's just... Breath-taking! Congrats on your new family members. I can't wait to hear all about them. You better be posting plenty of pictures of the whole gang! ;)

Hi Nela :D Isn't Maximus gorgeous? His eye color is so interesting. I wonder if they'll turn brown. Also it seems like most bunnies with those markings have colored ears but he's all white. There were 5 babies in all (one got a home before we got there), 4 of them had Maximus's coloration (though he was the only one with white ears and a white face) and Miss Mabel was the only black and white one. The other 2 babies we saw were boys, I sexed them. They said Mabel was a boy too but I saw a taco!

They are absolutely adorable, congrats!! Mini-Rex's are one of my favs :hearts

Congratulations Shiloh! They are too freakin' adorable. I'm sure you already know this, but if you do have a boy and a girl you should separate them by 12 weeks until you can have them fixed. You don't want a woops litter!

Hi Shiloh

Your new additions are adorable:inlove::inlove:. Congratulations.

Looking forward to watching them grow up with lots of pictures and stories.

Susan:)

slavetoabunny wrote:
Congratulations Shiloh! They are too freakin' adorable. I'm sure you already know this, but if you do have a boy and a girl you should separate them by 12 weeks until you can have them fixed. You don't want a woops litter!

Yupp! Don't forget the females can retain sperm too, so even if she isn't ready, as soon as he starts shooting she can get preggers! But I am sure they can still bond even being seperated for a bit. :)
They are very cute

Not to worry, I'll be very careful about avoiding pregnancy :D I know a boy can be neutered once his testicles descend so I'll be doing ball checks every day! Keeping in mind that mini rexes are a smaller breed so sexually mature faster (I think!), at what age should I separate them even if his testicles haven't descended? And I know I've read boys can still have sperm for 4 (or 6? Been a while) weeks after they're neutered. Would that still be the case for a boy who was neutered as soon as his testicles dropped?

I would separate no later than 12 weeks even if the testicles haven't dropped. My motto is better safe than sorryy! The boys can still have sperm for 4-6 weeks after the neuter. This shouldn't be an issue if you have the girl spayed at the same time.

I'm sure everything will work out fine :) I'll make a thread elsewhere tonight about the neutering/spaying but have to leave now. Not like little bitty 6 week old babies whose entire bodies fit on my opened hand are going to get each other pregnant this afternoon :D

Seriously, it's a good thing these bunnies are mine because I'd steal them if they weren't! They're so sweet and tame, especially Maximus. When you open the door they rush over to be petted. A minute ago I had the door opened and Maximus stood on his tippy toes to give me a kiss on the lips! How adorable is that? Even their poop is cute. It's so tiny. And numerous! The wee ones are settling in great, they're eating lots of pellets and hay, drinking, pooping, peeing, bathing, stretching, binkying, loafing, etc :)

Okay, another moment of intense adorableness- I had the cage door open and was petting the little gal on the head when Maximus rushed over and stuck his head on top of hers so I would pet him instead! EEEE, 2 bunnies are so cute together! And Sir Maximus is doing a fine job of wrapping me around his little finger. Sister is precious too of course :)

As for names, Maximus is definitely Maximus but we're debating other names for Sister. Mabel, Mathilde, hmmmm? Any ideas? Doesn't have to start with M.

Sir Maximus and Lady Marigold sounds cute. Hehehe.

They are simply lovely. I keep coming back to look. Lol. Am I seeing correctly that Maximus has blue eyes? His eyes seem different...

So, tell me... How many times have you snuffed them? ;)How are ya finding that mini-rex fur? I remember telling you years ago how you just HAD to touch a mini-rex one time... Hehehehe.

Oh they are gorgeous! I don't think I could have left without them either :) I love the boy, he is very unusual looking. I might have to come and steal him ;)

SnowyShiloh wrote:
As for names, Maximus is definitely Maximus but we're debating other names for Sister. Mabel, Mathilde, hmmmm? Any ideas? Doesn't have to start with M.
They are definitely a cute pair - but I'm sold on mini-rexes, anyway.

If you've got a Maximus, what about Minima? Or, if she's not that much smaller, Media (or Medea)?

Latest posts

Back