The hardwood floors are going to be trouble

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BethM

Reaction score
So our new house has hardwood floors in every room. (Except bathroom and kitchen are tile.)

Tobi might be ok, she's used to slippery floors, but Nick and Amelia will have a lot of trouble with it. They absolutely can't do slippery.

The bunnies haven't been out of their room yet, as we were waiting to find runners for the hallway. We got area rugs for the living room and dining room. But I am realizing that we should have gotten the next size up.

In the apartment (carpeted), Nick loved to run Bunny 500 through the place. At least once a day, he'd zoom around. But now.... I don't know if he'll be able to do that. I'm really upset at myself for thinking about what size might look nice, instead of what would be best for the bunnies. I am so upset I am having trouble sleeping.

We got the rugs on closeout, so we can't exchange them, and they're sold out of those two patterns, anyway. I guess tomorrow I might go see if I can find something larger for the living room, then maybe I could put that one in the dining room, and I don't know what I'd do with that one. The living room is big, though, so anything I find would have to be on sale.

The runners came in, I have to get pads for them so they don't slide. They're not quite as long as I wanted, but the darn hallway is 25' long, and there just aren't nice, affordable runners that work for that. But these will work, I guess. (Two 9' runners)

Anyway. Sorry. I just wanted to vent. Jason doesn't even think about things like that, he just told me to find some rugs, and that was the end of how much he considered it.
I feel like I've failed my babies.

Morgan really hates slippery floors, as well...and wood is always so slippery! I do wish for wood floors when we eventually buy a house though...luckily I can put down a huge rug in a bunny room.

Maybe Toby won't mind if he can't 500 anymore, but at least he can still binky and do small laps around a larger area rug...which is what Morgan did on the area rug when we had lino flooring in our old renting house.

Well, my two know how to sprint like champions on our hardwood. I have area rugs, that they use for lounging, but they do just fine running on the bare floor.

It certainly was a challenge initially, though. When I first got them, they would put their front feet out on the floor, and test it, like it was water. They would do that over and over again, for several minutes, beore launching, and then they slipped and slided all over the place!

They are pros, nowadays. :)

I moved Bruce from a carpet area to concrete. It took him some time to adjust.
I did eventually get a large area rug, and he seemed a lot happier. He did get better on the slippery parts, though.

This may not mean much, but I don't think you should feel guilty at all. It sounds like your rabbits have a very caring mom and a big area to play in (even if it is slippery). Remember that rabbits will adapt. Even if they can't run like they used to, they will still be able to. I'm sure they will have just as much fun and be just as happy.

Latest posts

Back