The Furminator

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Star and Stone Rabbitry wrote:
I work at the local pet shop and I am supposed to try and sell as many Furminator's as I can. I can honestly say that I would even if I didn't have to! It's amazing. I got the medium one for Stone and it's like magic. It takes everything out, plus a lot more that you didn'teven knowwas there.

I didn't know that you could use it on rabbits until I tried it this summer at the 4-H show. And it worked just as good =) And now it's what I will continually use.

lol I guess I'm lucky. I get 40% discounts, so I got my Furminator for about $20

-Tiff
You should bring Stone in to work and give a demonstration.

You should bring Stone in to work and give a demonstration.

Haha I should! lol He's come with me once before =) He's a cutie.

Although we also have a setup at the counter with a bunch of the brushes, shampoos, conditioners, and treats by the Furminator peoples, and beside all that there's a video that shows dogs and cats being brushed with it. That's what truly won me over, I'm not gonna lie! It's amazing. And the picture of the dog with the mounds of fur all around him on the back of the brush's package. Holy cow! And it's TRUE!

tiabia, I'm wondering about the issue with the teeth being sharp...I have a dog slicker brush that has sharp metal teeth and won't use it on the rabbits because it's just too sharp for their skin. Looks something like this one:

furminator3.jpg

this is the exact one i have. the teeth to me are not as bad as the brush you posted a picture of. these ones stay in place and are more stiff. i also had one of those brushes you had and the rabbits absolutely hated it. just start off gentle and experiment a little with the furminator.

Can someone post a close up picture ofwhat the comb/teeth look like on the furminator. I've never seen one upclose and I don't understand what makes it different then some of the other brushes.

I've tried a zoom 'n groom and some other brushes but they never worked very well. Now I just remove as much fur as I can by hand and plucking out the big tuffs. Works relatively well during bigger sheds but for the inbetween times it woul dbe nice to have a brush or something.

I read a forum sometimes called slickdeals.net. If you search on there for furminator coupon, you can find a printable coupon for $5 off any furminator, good at Petsmart ONLY. Then, if you search for Petsmart, you can find printable coupons, they are usually $5 off a purchase of $25/$10 off $40/$15 off $50. (I think these are emailed to you if you are in the store rewards program, but I never bothered to give them my email. I just look them up if I need to buy something there.) Some stores will take expired store coupons, some will not, it depends on the cashier.

At my petsmart, they will "stack" the coupons, and use them on things that are already on sale. I used both the $5 furminator coupon, plus the $15 store coupon, when I bought my small furminator and 3 bags of pine pellet litter, which happened to be on sale that day. (16lbs for $5)

I don't know if these are valid in Canada.

Also, petsmart has a 30-day return policy, so if you don't like it, you can return it. I'm not convinced yet, but I've seen so many convincing videos and so many people love it, I'll be giving it a few more chances.

(If you can't find the coupons, pm me and I'll send you links to the coupons.)

I forgot to say, that I only have the small one, and Barney is 6.5lbs, and it's more than big enough for him!

I will get a close-up pic of the teeth in a little bit and post it for you degrassi :)

degrassi wrote:
Can someone post a close up picture ofwhat the comb/teeth look like on the furminator.
I have the small blue one. It works fine on thebunnies andour dog (30 lbs). It may take alittle longer on the dog, but it does the same job.

2nixkxx.jpg

Here is a picture of the ShredEnder (left) and the Furbuster (right).

1zwypaa.jpg

This is the ShredEnder (left) and the Furminator (right).

ivwg9i.jpg

A closer view of the teeth. You can see the Furminator has longer teeth to reach deeper into the fur. It is wider in front to get past thetop layers of the fur and underneath them. Then it is tapered to snag and pull off the shedding hair.

Aaah, Stan beat me to it! With better pictures than I would have got lol.... I'd forgotten, but my camera batteries were still dead!

It's hard to explain for those that haven't used them before, but although the teeth look sharp, all they do is pull out the dead undercoat, without ruining the topcoat (correct me if wrong, but I believe it's that that sheds?) and the teeth don't hurt the rabbit, obviously as long as you are gentle.

I've found the best way to do it (and I think this is advised on the packaging) is to smooth the fur the wrong way, in the opposite direction to growth, and then use small strokes that way, to get at the fur underneath. Works well for me anyway :)

Does it work well on the long haired breeds, like a Jersey Wooly? Delilah has to be brushed every week, and when she is molting...!

gentle giants wrote:
Does it work well on the long haired breeds, like a Jersey Wooly? Delilah has to be brushed every week, and when she is molting...!

My opinion on that would be yes. My rabbits have more of a short hair and it works great but a couple of my cats have medium and long hair and I feel it works awesome with the long hair. I brush my rabbits once a week.

Latest posts

Back