The finale rest for Odin

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hermelin

Reaction score
Yesterday I had to put Odin down. Turned out there was something wrong with his teeth and he would need CT scan but the chances of surviving the CT was low and the operations was even lower. It was a big chance he would pass away during the procedure and I didn’t want his last moment to be force fed and stress being at the vet. Maybe I should of taken the chance but the vet advice me that there was only a slim chance for him to even handle the anesthesia.

I’m quite frustrated over that exactly 4 weeks ago I was at the exo vet worry about his teeth and eyes. I get inform there nothing wrong with him and he’s all healthy. Turned out he’s was really in pain within his jaws and had lost a lot of weight. I’m quite sure the vet missed or should of given me another advice. They are the best exo vets in the area and cost a lot. But I don’t only blame them, it was my fault for not being more observant of Odin. I was busy focusing on Fenris after her spay, then Tyra and later on Loke, so I missed that he was losing weight and that I truly believed what the vet had informed me about him.

I mailed the vets about the miss and that the next rabbit owner. That they should be mindful of what kind of advice they give to future rabbit owners.

At least I have learned my lesson now. Binky freely Odin.

6B51FB87-4BC7-4B3D-A6D0-5B8B448DD2D8.jpeg

Yesterday I had to put Odin down. Turned out there was something wrong with his teeth and he would need CT scan but the chances of surviving the CT was low and the operations was even lower. It was a big chance he would pass away during the procedure and I didn’t want his last moment to be force fed and stress being at the vet. Maybe I should of taken the chance but the vet advice me that there was only a slim chance for him to even handle the anesthesia.

I’m quite frustrated over that exactly 4 weeks ago I was at the exo vet worry about his teeth and eyes. I get inform there nothing wrong with him and he’s all healthy. Turned out he’s was really in pain within his jaws and had lost a lot of weight. I’m quite sure the vet missed or should of given me another advice. They are the best exo vets in the area and cost a lot. But I don’t only blame them, it was my fault for not being more observant of Odin. I was busy focusing on Fenris after her spay, then Tyra and later on Loke, so I missed that he was losing weight and that I truly believed what the vet had informed me about him.

I mailed the vets about the miss and that the next rabbit owner. That they should be mindful of what kind of advice they give to future rabbit owners.

At least I have learned my lesson now. Binky freely Odin.

View attachment 62656
Sorry to hear you have lost Odin. I only just sent a message saying I liked the picture of him in the woods. x

Thanks everyone for your replies 💕

We all in the family misses Odin and are down. Turned out Odin have taught Freja many behaviors from begging to how to give kisses. We can also see that she’s missing Odin but she’s handling it well because she’s never alone. She will later be bonded to Fenris & Tyra after they are done with their spays.

You made the right call. Our Harvey’s last months were constant vet visits and daily medications and all for nothing. Wish I would have had your strength to just let her go like you did for Odin. You did the right thing. Sorry for your loss though. Will miss seeing pictures of Odin. He was adorable.

I may elaborate a bit because I feel very strongly that you did everything you could from the perspective of a 2 time rabbit owner that experienced similar experiences, so I apologize in advance for my lengthiness. To start, I am so sorry... I know it is such a hard decision to make as I had to make that decision with my last rabbit a few years ago, but I honestly think I should have made that choice sooner and your situation sounds like you made it at the best time to avoid letting your bun suffer. I was very selfish at the time I needed to make that decision and thought maybe he would improve despite him being a little over 8 years old and the vet telling me his only option was either brain surgery or natural causes. I of course did not want to put him through that kind of surgery, but figured I would wait and see his progression. Eventually I did make the decision once he could no longer get up on his own, but my poor boy was probably in fear and shouldn't have gone through the amount of stress I potentially put him through. You did everything you could and you should not blame yourself for "not being more observant" because you were observant enough to take him in the first place, which many rabbit owners do not do, and the "professional" should have known if they are going to claim they are an expert.

I also experienced this with my newest bun bun. I took him to a new vet (my last bun's vet was very knowledgeable but I moved out of state) when I noticed he had extreme matting under his mouth (he was only 1 year old at the time), and showed drastic weight loss even though he was eating and drinking normally. I assumed it was a dental issue, and they said his teeth were completely fine and he was totally healthy and told me he's just a messy eater and his new weight was healthy. 2 weeks later, he was nearly immobile and not eating or drinking and the same exact vet nearly accused me of neglect and gave no sympathy, and after telling me he may pass within 24 hours, they plopped his carrier in my lap and said "bye" and closed my car door. I made a major complaint to their main vet about this and they, again, gave very little sympathy or apology. I was extremely lucky that I got him to an emergency rabbit vet rapidly, otherwise he may not have been here due to the negligence of the vet that claimed he was healthy. The point of this story is you did your job as a good rabbit owner by noticing the concern and addressing it. Please do not blame yourself as I have in the past when you did absolutely everything you could. Odin was lucky to have someone who cares as much as you.

I may elaborate a bit because I feel very strongly that you did everything you could from the perspective of a 2 time rabbit owner that experienced similar experiences, so I apologize in advance for my lengthiness. To start, I am so sorry... I know it is such a hard decision to make as I had to make that decision with my last rabbit a few years ago, but I honestly think I should have made that choice sooner and your situation sounds like you made it at the best time to avoid letting your bun suffer. I was very selfish at the time I needed to make that decision and thought maybe he would improve despite him being a little over 8 years old and the vet telling me his only option was either brain surgery or natural causes. I of course did not want to put him through that kind of surgery, but figured I would wait and see his progression. Eventually I did make the decision once he could no longer get up on his own, but my poor boy was probably in fear and shouldn't have gone through the amount of stress I potentially put him through. You did everything you could and you should not blame yourself for "not being more observant" because you were observant enough to take him in the first place, which many rabbit owners do not do, and the "professional" should have known if they are going to claim they are an expert.

I also experienced this with my newest bun bun. I took him to a new vet (my last bun's vet was very knowledgeable but I moved out of state) when I noticed he had extreme matting under his mouth (he was only 1 year old at the time), and showed drastic weight loss even though he was eating and drinking normally. I assumed it was a dental issue, and they said his teeth were completely fine and he was totally healthy and told me he's just a messy eater and his new weight was healthy. 2 weeks later, he was nearly immobile and not eating or drinking and the same exact vet nearly accused me of neglect and gave no sympathy, and after telling me he may pass within 24 hours, they plopped his carrier in my lap and said "bye" and closed my car door. I made a major complaint to their main vet about this and they, again, gave very little sympathy or apology. I was extremely lucky that I got him to an emergency rabbit vet rapidly, otherwise he may not have been here due to the negligence of the vet that claimed he was healthy. The point of this story is you did your job as a good rabbit owner by noticing the concern and addressing it. Please do not blame yourself as I have in the past when you did absolutely everything you could. Odin was lucky to have someone who cares as much as you.
I think everyone will do things whatever way it makes sense to them at the time.
Having given this some thought a short while back I decided that I would not request my rabbit being put down unless the vet suggested it. I do not have the money for vet fees but would find it if the guidance from the vet was for the rabbit to be treated.
It is heartbreaking losing a pet.
My two buns have not been spayed, neutered so maybe I could find a way of making babies. I don't actually know their gender but not worried about that at present.
I am glad Odin's owner has got another bun or two or three to take his/her mind off things.

I think everyone will do things whatever way it makes sense to them at the time.
Having given this some thought a short while back I decided that I would not request my rabbit being put down unless the vet suggested it. I do not have the money for vet fees but would find it if the guidance from the vet was for the rabbit to be treated.
It is heartbreaking losing a pet.
My two buns have not been spayed, neutered so maybe I could find a way of making babies. I don't actually know their gender but not worried about that at present.
I am glad Odin's owner has got another bun or two or three to take his/her mind off things.
Please don't breed. Get them neutered. If you have a male and a female you will end up with lots of bunnies and you already can't afford vet fees, how are you going to get all the babies neutered and vaccinated, etc?

Please don't breed. Get them neutered. If you have a male and a female you will end up with lots of bunnies and you already can't afford vet fees, how are you going to get all the babies neutered and vaccinated, etc?
Aside from that, I adopted Dr. Cheese when he was 1 and many shelters will actually cover the neutering/spaying in their adoption fee which is generally cheaper than paying for it yourself. Always better to help a bun in need when you can :)

Aside from that, I adopted Dr. Cheese when he was 1 and many shelters will actually cover the neutering/spaying in their adoption fee which is generally cheaper than paying for it yourself. Always better to help a bun in need when you can :)
I am fairly sure they are both female. I did think the smaller one might be boy but possibly the runt.
Not all buns mate. They did have a hump but that does not necessarily mean they are mating or that they are different genders. If I decide to have them spayed/neutered I will find the money. Lack of money is not the reason for not having it done, I just don't want to interfere with nature. I am not against it or saying there is anything wrong with it that is just the type of person I am. I have not poked about to find out their gender for exactly the same reason. If it makes them more aware of their bits they might be more likely to mate. Maybe I am daft, I do not know, but that's my way of thinking

I am fairly sure they are both female. I did think the smaller one might be boy but possibly the runt.
Not all buns mate. They did have a hump but that does not necessarily mean they are mating or that they are different genders. If I decide to have them spayed/neutered I will find the money. Lack of money is not the reason for not having it done, I just don't want to interfere with nature. I am not against it or saying there is anything wrong with it that is just the type of person I am. I have not poked about to find out their gender for exactly the same reason. If it makes them more aware of their bits they might be more likely to mate. Maybe I am daft, I do not know, but that's my way of thinking

This is a rainbow bridge thread and not the appropriate place for this discussion. If you wish to continue discussing this subject, please create a different thread for it.

Please keep any further comments on topic and related to the OP.

EA0F96D5-54D9-4D4B-9845-7D96A77047B9.jpeg
The painting of Odin is finally up on the wall. It was too close between his passing and when I got it. So I pushed it forward. I’m missing him a lot because now I don’t have a bun that will sleep up on my chest or even next to me as Odin did. He truly left a big hole.

B06B0B45-8086-42B4-82AD-9A3A455EC97A.jpeg

What a beautiful memorial and reminder of this sweet little bun you were blessed to share your life with 💕

Latest posts

Back