The Earth is not your personal ashtray!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happi Bun

Reaction score
No offense to any members that smoke, but I need to vent!!! :twitch:

I live in a nice Condo complex with lots of wildlife. We have lovely tree's and foliage surrounding us, it's very beautiful and peaceful. Some rather new neighbors moved in across from the people that live above us and they have a teenager daughter. She often sits on the stairs that lead up to the second level (which is a few feet from our front door) with a bunch of guys.

We had a problem with them not picking up after themselves in the past. One morning when I woke up garbage was everywhere. I was pissed. Yes, I have littering pet peeve, as one could tell from the "Don't Litter - Keep California Beautiful" sticker on my car. I picked it all up and left a sign where they commonly sit saying, "Please don't leave trash." Another neighbor who lived next to us at the time complained to the teen's mother. We never had the problem again.

Well now they are leaving cigarette buds everywhere for me to clean up because I don't want to see that everyday. The earth is not your personal ashtray! That may make me sound like a tree huger, but it's true! I have no problem with people who smoke, one of my best friends does. It's a matter of cleaning up after yourself. It's really not that difficult... and I'm a very lazy person. However, I don't believe the Earth is ours to trash.

I feel like such an oldie. :purpletongue

I sympathize with you! We had a neighbor in California that enjoyed having loud parties (another issue,lol). They would toss their cigarette butts over our fence!!!

I know how it feels too.
I do smoke, but its a strict rule if you come to my apartment then you put buds in the flower pot...i set it up just so i didnt have to see the buds everywhere.
witht the noise, i would recommend having a talk with her parents, then the apartments, then the cops. do whats necasary, no reason you shouldnt be living happy and comfortably in your own home.

Ahaha, ironically, I have a shirt that says "The world is my ashtray." More metaphorical than literal, as I hate throwing butts on my lawn. It sucks when you hit them with the lawnmower.

That and I'm terrified of starting a fire. And we have wild bunnies that eat our grass. Don't want them to accidentally eat one. :shock:

I can so sympathise!! I used to have a neighbour. who was in the habit of throwing his cigarette butts into our garden. I still regret I didn't complain earlier as the young lad proceeded to vandalize our car later (but tha's another story)
I absolutely loathe people that litter!!!!

I'm glad it's not just me who finds it annoying! ;)

I never even thought of it being a fire risk. :nerves1

I'd just stick an ashtray where the buds are currently being thrown with a friendly note saying "My gift to you" or something.

Bleh! Not difficult to just keep them contained in a little dish and dump that every so often.

If I were you i'd complain to the mother.
Or, leave a little ash tray out for them, and if they don't use it call the police (not 911, the normal number) and ask if/when they have time if they could say something.
=D

Cigarette butts gross me out.
And I HATE when people just toss them any old place. It's nasty and dirty and disrespectful and lazy.

:vomit:

(I'm anti-littering in all forms, too.)

Argh, I detest smokers. If they do it away from people. I don't care. But if they're doing it ten feet from me, I have an issue. If you don't have an issue poisoning yourself, that's your deal, but do NOT endanger my health and the health of those around you who choose not to smoke. (No offense to smokers. This is just a very touchy subject for me as my Aunt died of lung cancer that had spread to her breasts, my Unlce had permanet lung damage from it that may have contributed to his death, and my grandpa died from complications stemming from smoking :( )

I agree, put an ash tray near where they smoke with a nice little note on it, and if they continue, get the police involved. Are they minors? If so, they shouldn't even be smoking in the first place :/

I don't mind if people want to smoke, it's their life who am I to judge? What I do care about is those smokers that seem to think that they're more important than everyone else and that they are being targeted for their life choices by being asked to stand so many feet outside of the door if they wish to smoke. Don't smoke anywhere near me, and I'm fine with it.

I have asthma, I had it really bad as a kid, but it's fine now I don't even need my inhaler. My dad is a chain smoker, so all of my childhood I was in and out of the hospital from one asthma attack to another. I was sent home with a machine to help me breathe even. I've asked my dad endless times to stop smoking, recently I've been asking him to at least smoke outside when he's here, he won't even do that. Even now when I get around cigarette smoke it's harder to breathe. His answers are always the same, he's been telling me since I was little that my problem is the animals we own, not his smoking. It's funny, since when he's gone back to work overseas, and the animals are still here in the house, I can breathe just fine. Not to mention he leaves pop cans and jars filled with cigarette butts lying around for us to clean up. It's disgusting.

:( If you're a smoker, please don't do what I see countless moms/dads doing, what my dad/grandparents did, kids don't want to be trapped in a car while you smoke, trapped in a room while you smoke, trapped around you when you smoke. It's not fun feeling the panic of not being able to get enough oxygen.

If I'm in public, I'll go the designated smoking area or whatever. I try to stay far away from non smokers [well, other people in general] as possible. It's not worth the incessant nagging/risk inducing an asthma attack. ;)

My dad and I recently did quit smoking in the house though for Bayou. Well, me for Bayou, dad for the furniture.

Strange thing is, I had horrendous asthma as a child... Since I started smoking, I haven't had one attack... It's been about 5 years since my last attack, around the same time I started smoking.

:?

ha ha ha ha i hate when people litter, it drives me nuts, i especially hate cigarette butts, ugh.

Patti that is a big pet peeve of mine when people throw cig butts out thier car windows!!!!! you have an ashtray in your car, use it!!!!!!!!!! lol

I'm quite upset now: My workplace just put in new lockers, because there weren't enough. They used to be pretty big, now there's a huge bank of teeny tiny lockers. I can barely fit my purse, lunch bag, and a magazine in there. I know in winter I will not be able to fit a coat or even a light jacket in.
I liked to keep my coat in my locker, because when I would hang it on the coatrack, it would end up smelling like smoke at the end of the day. I, also, am allergic to cigarette smoke. (Grew up in a house with a 3-pack a day smoker.) Plus, I just don't want to smell like that. So now I will not be able to wear a coat in winter, because there won't be any place to keep it. It gets really cold here, and unless I get there 30 minutes early, I have to park about half a block away from the door. :(
There is only one 5-foot long coat rack for 150 people to share.

My mom and her boyfriend smoke, and so does my dad. It seriously drives me insane. I hate not breathing fresh air.

What also p*sses me off, is when my mom smokes in the car when she's taking me and my sister places (like to school!) Then we get there and we smell like smoke and people must think we smoke, ourselves. :pssd:

Cigarette butts really are disgusting. Blehh. I get the shivers just thinking about them. :yuck

What also peeves me is when my mom smokes near the rabbitry/inside of it. She shouldn't be smoking in there for a few reasons: There's loose hay in there, which could start a fire if the ashes fall;andthe smoke willharm the rabbits!!! :shock:

I agree though, Erika, maybe put an ashtray by where they usually sit and see if they use it. If not, tell the girls' parents; the manager of the apartment or someone like that; and then the cops. Does she look over 18? Because if not, she shouldn't be smoking - it's against the law for minors to smoke. ;)

Emily

Rayen that is really bad of your dad, no disrespect or anything but there are loads of reports about how parents smoking causes their kids to have asthama, and as for him saying it is your pets, there are also reports that say that keeping animals when you grow up prevents you from developing asthama.
I would be soooo cross if i was you, it is very nice of you to put up with it xx
We dont smoke and my husband in particular has a total paranoia about it, his dad died of lung cancer due to smoking and he cant stand even looking at cigarette butts but they seem to be just everywhere you go xx

The ashtray idea is brilliant! I'm going to buy a cheap one and place it where they normally sit with some kind of sign asking to "please put your cigarette butts here". They do look under 18, I'm pretty sure anyway. Maybe one of the guy friends is older, but the girl definitely looks under 18. I don't think she is even driving yet.

:nope:

Thats disgusting! I too hate littering and always put anything in the bin that should go in there. Even if I'm out with friends and had say a chocolate bar I would just hold the wrapper till i find a bin!

The ashtray idea is a good one! I hope it works! Let us know!

x

Latest posts

Back