The Duality of Stinky

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigOlStink

Reaction score
I joined this forum just to get some information on my rabbit Stinky. Her behaviour has always been kinda unusual for a rabbit. Well, unusual compared to many posts I see on here.

Stinky is a lionhead I got from a pet shop a year ago in May. She is literally the light of my life, the stink to my bomb, and the reason I get up to go to work in the morning. Just so I can come home and shower her in treats and gifts and my unconditional love.

Unfortunately, I think Stinky doesn't and never has reciprocated those feelings. Stinky does not like to be touched. I don't mean being picked up touched, because many rabbits don't like that and it's understandable the Stink doesn't, but Stinky doesn't even like getting head pets. Sometimes she lowers her head and I get to get a couple of little strokes in, but she jerks away and growls really loud. She likes to be alone more than with people. When I'm sitting down in my chair, sometimes Stinky will come out and lay next to my bed and give me the Stink eye for about an hour or so watching me. She never gives me cuddles or licks or even binkies. The only time she has ever come up to me on my own is when I enter the room after a long day to investigate who's entering her territory, or when she wants a dried natural banana treat. That's the only time she'll put her little paws on me and give me attention, then she'll take the banana and run off like she doesn't trust me.

Stinky rarely comes up to me or seems interested in me unless I'm down on the ground scooping her poop out of the litter box. I understand Stinky Stink doesn't need constant badgering and touching, but even when I'm sitting in the floor near her, she runs off like she's not interested or sits in a distance eyeballing me. She's always done this even as a little bunny. I've never done anything bad to Stinky. In fact, I've spoiled the poop rat more than any other animal I've own.

Recently, I went to college to get my degree after a bad mental breakdown and I missed my rabbit so much. I came home after two weeks and Stinky acts like she doesn't even know me. What once went from coming out to see who entered her territory is her now hiding in her tunnel, and when I go to pet her, she lunges at me and growls. In fact, she growls a lot more than she used to. My family, I know, has watched over her in the same way I have and has spoiled her like crazy, but I have no idea why Stinky got meaner and doesn't know who I am.

Stink is spayed, by the way. They said that rabbits calm down after they're neutered, but Stinky just got meaner.

Maybe Stinky is just like that and is an animal that doesn't want cuddles or love. I understand that. But admittedly, it hurts seeing rabbit owners talk about how their stinkies love them and shower them with affection or love while my Stink kicks her poop in my face and lunges at me when I give her a hay ball to snack on.

Side note, are rabbits supposed to be obsessed with poop? Stinky is extremely obsessed with her litter box and that is her number one territory. She regularly bunny flops down besides it and naps besides her poop. When I get down to scoop, she comes up and butts me with her stink nose to get me to leave, and then if she gets fed up enough, she jumps in the shitter herself, pushes the litter out of the way to make herself a hole in the middle, and starts pooping in front of me to assert dominance. If I try to get her to leave, she'll jump towards me and kick poop at me. Her litter box is her favourite thing in the entire world and that is the only time I've ever seen the Stink binky. When the Stink is released in the morning, she hops out of her cage and jumps in the litter box to poop and shakes her little head and ears, her way of binkying or showing that shes happy. Just wondering. I've got videos of her defending her litter box.

image0.jpg

XyxAVzX

Last edited:
Can you describe her living situation? Is she free roam? Does she have her own room? Does she have her own cage? And also, what is that in the litter box being used for litter?

Can you describe her living situation? Is she free roam? Does she have her own room? Does she have her own cage? And also, what is that in the litter box being used for litter?

Stinky stink is a free roam bunny who has basically claimed my own room as her own. Stink has her own cage, I bought the biggest one they had so Stinky could have a castle. And Stinky gets clump free cat litter. She refused to dump in a box of wood chippings but loves the litter so much she dances in it. Pooping is the only time Stinky is happy.

I always thought that cat litter is no good for rabbits, except of wood pellets, interesting how long you use this type of litter

I would use wood pellets they are also sold as cat litter just wood is good for rabbits and they are super absorbent and cover that bad smell of urine pretty well. I also only fill no more than one-inch so she can have room for digging and all.

She's very pretty :)

I'll try that.

Also, any thought as to why Stink acts the way she does? Is she just naturally mean or is there something I could do to make her love me like I love her?

I'll try that.

Also, any thought as to why Stink acts the way she does? Is she just naturally mean or is there something I could do to make her love me like I love her?

Clumping cat litter is actually quite dangerous. The wood pellets mentioned by Poopy poo are different than wood shavings. You can get a 40lb bag for about $6. It's a good idea to top it with hay.

Because she seems to enjoy the texture of the cat litter, you could consider providing her with a "dig box." But you might need to first be sure she takes to the new litter set up before offering one or she may turn the dig box into a glorified litter box.

Is her room your bedroom then? Do you spend much time in there (other than for sleeping)?
The reason I ask is that I like to keep our rabbits' cage wherever the most activity is in the house. That way they are around people as much as possible even if those people aren't directly interacting with them.

How long is she confined to her cage? Could you provide a photo?

I'm wondering how much time she gets in close proximity to you.
upload_2019-10-14_17-45-45.png

Soo she's nearly 2 year old and spayed, I have no idea they say spaying would fix anything.
I have one girl Smokey also very beautiful who was very defensive since I got her at 9 weeks and she's 11 months now she is not spayed and she gets a bit better but we worked so hard to get there, she was biting every day and was very territorial, I was losing my hope and blood so many times, I slept next to her cage and she started trusting me more but I tried lots of things I don't even remember now, with your Stinky f she is a free-roam I would limit her freedom to a cage and would start from there, would stop picking her up or even paying attention just be generally polite and give her a break, then start bonding sessions, sitting or laying next to her cage reading or doing something so just being next to her but not paying attention. Then keep her door open but in one room or inside playpen, lay down and read a book or play or do something and don't pay attention maybe she will come to you, maybe not in first day or week but she should, you need to be patient and do regularly. If you could post a pic of your setup would be easier for us to get what situation you got there. I can only see one pic in your first post, the second is broken

I absolutely LOVE her name!! After seeing her picture, I can't help but wonder if there's something bred into harlequin lionheads that gives them a big ol' rabbit 'tude and makes them great at giving you a stink-eye... because both Stinky's picture and her attitude strike me as awfully familiar... lol.

Nallies resized.gif
rabbit girls resized.gif
DSC05034.gif

Nala, my lionhead (who is 7 years old and I've had since she was 7 weeks old) is sweet and loving when she wants to be but also fiercely independent. She'll use me as a jungle gym but mostly wants to run around and do her own thing. Like all our rabbits, I've taught her to appreciate a good cuddle in front of the TV... but she's ready to go run around again faster than the others.

My method for 'breaking' a bunny is to lie in bed with the rabbit's front end laying on my upper arm and my other arm snugly holding the rabbit in place. I firmly but sweetly insist that they get loved on for at least a few minutes (nose-rubs, gentle petting, talking to them, giving kisses) - if I relax my grip so that they're no longer being hugged, rabbits unaccustomed to snuggling (or who have had enough for that session) will dig, nip or try to leave. The sessions are pretty short at first but increase in length and always end with a craisin or other bit of fruit to teach them that good things come from cuddling with your human.

Harley Quinn (the blue eyed Dutch above) was adamantly opposed to snuggling when we got her - she just didn't seem to understand the concept at all (she was 3 1/2 and had a previous owner who let HQ be the boss, from what I can tell). If I didn't hold her snugly, she'd ferociously dig at my arm - OUCH! These days, though, she really enjoys the snuggle sessions. If I move my arm so that I'm not holding her in place, she doesn't even think about leaving even though she very easily could. She'd rather sit there and tooth-purr as I stroke her little pink nose.

It's not that you're forcing them to do something, it's that you're teaching them to understand how humans show love and affection. In some ways, it's like overcoming a language barrier (in this case, body language). Kisses, pets, snuggles and treats, then freedom! So far I'm 7 for 7 on being able to teach rabbits to enjoy a good snuggle in front of the TV. Sometimes, the rabbit I try to cuddle just isn't in the mood that day - you can tell 'cause they're looking around for a way to get the heck out of there, lol. If they're telling me they've got too much energy to lay with me, I let them go back to doing whatever they want.

Stinky looks alot like my Viggo, and sounds close to his personality as well. He is very curious and very skittish! He still isn't 100% warmed to me, hates being picked up (unlike his fluffball brother), and is generally pretty untrusting. I guess just try always being on Stinks' level, never really approach but appear calm and await Stink to approach you. Viggo can show incredible affection in the right circumstance/mood. Patience is key!

Attachments

• 20190915_205916.jpg
    20190915_205916.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 8

Latest posts

Back