The difference between

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Linz_1987 wrote:
I heard that you call womens periods, full stops?!That is very random and strange to me! Is there a particularreason why you call them full stops? Just curious!
I've neverheard of that, we would just say period. Or, we had a nicetalk at lunch the other day about "Aunt flo" coming for avisit.

missyscove wrote: Or,we had a nice talk at lunch the other day about "Aunt flo" coming for avisit.

Hehe that's a good one lol

cheryl

Hehe weird! Ive heard the rumour a few times!

Also we say Zed, and you say Zee?!

Like do you say Zeebra? Do you use the sound zee in words containing zee aswell? Hmm ive confussed myself there lol

Yer I was just thinking that. Maybe thats the only one :?

oh what about that musical instrument begining with Z? Ithink that would be hard to pronounce that with a zee at the beginingthough!

Its not only the difference in the language but how you guys say it aswell :D

Ive been annoying my mum with sayin baysil instead of basil.I want to move to america one day so I had better start practising myaccent hehe!

Really? To me, trannies are the fewwho try to be women 24/7. They often go through hormonetherapy to be more feminine and have gender reassignment surgery.

The only one I've actually met was a scary, toothless old hag who ranthe counter at a creepy adult bookstore. Drag queens, nowthey're fun!

Ive just been looking at this webiste:

http://www.travelfurther.net/dictionaries/ba-ac.htm

Its a dictionary of english and american differences.

And looking at it, most of the American words aremuch better than what we call it!

Most of them are more convient to call them what you do!

The only thing I dont get is you call Jam Jelly, and Jelly, jell-o? Thats really confusing.

And do you call a beef burger - a hamburger? Or any thing beefahamburger?

College prank, actually.:D

Hamburger= ground beef patty in a bun

Jam is like fruit preserves with lots of chunks, while jelly is notchunky and is actually kind of like gelatin. Both are spreadon bread. Some people call everything jelly though.

Jello is a brand name of gelatin.

Linz_1987 wrote:
Ive just been looking at this webiste:

http://www.travelfurther.net/dictionaries/ba-ac.htm

Its a dictionary of english and american differences.

And looking at it, most of the American words aremuch better than what we call it!
Some of those are a bit off for me, but maybe that's just inCalifornia. Just in theology today we were talking with thetwo girls that just moved from the east coast and my teacher who isfrom the east coast about differences across the country.

like...

America:
The States.
Americans only formally refer to their country as 'America,' and usually (commonly) refer to it as 'the States.'

I don't think I've ever called it 'the states' though I've alwaysthought it was weird that we call ourselves America, I mean, what aboutthe rest of the Americas?

On nearly all American shows you always hearthem say that they are going to make a peanut butterand jellysandwich,and i had always wondered what the jelly is...is it what wecall jam..which is something that you spread on toast..and i absolutelyhate the stuff

Jelly here is the wobbly stuff and i love to eat ice cream and jelly,but you could not eat that on bread though ewwww!!

cheryl

OK I know this isn't anything to do with the language but it's still a difference so

Does anyone else have a schooluniform?(it can be your old school if you don't go

anymore;))

I do and I hate it. It's a long blue skirt (used to be short but thisyear they made us get down to the knees!:shock:), blue jumper, whiteblouse, stripy blue tie, blue blazer and black tights (yes all yeareven at the end in June!:mad: that's just my school though noteverywhere) They boys have similar but grey (they wear trousers thoughnot a skirt;))

Michaela:brownbunny

Eww I remember schooluniforms! Its only been 3 years since I wore onethough. Ours was all black, and we had to wear them in thesummer aswell. And black in the blazing sun is NOT good! We also had toask if we could take our jumpers off:shock:

Re: fullstop - a fullstops are these things....... the dot you put at the end of a sentence. I guess that wordgets mixed with period because in the days of telegraphs you'd say yoursentence then "period" for a fullstop? Here a period is a period orjust 'that time of the month', 'on the rag', 'seeing red'.

We call the lights you hang on xmas trees 'christmas lights'. Fairie lights sort of sounds gay to me.

We say zed or zee!

Jelly here is what Americans call Jell-o - jam is a fruit preserve put in a jar while piping hot to keep out germs.

Our schools from about the age of 11 up all have school uniforms.Myhighschool one was a navy knee length skirt with two pleats at thefront, a sky blue polo shirt and a navy sweatshirt with the schoollogo. We all wore black leather shoes and white ankle length socks. Inthe final year of school you upgraded your sweatshirt to a very formaljacket/blazer and were allowed to wear pantehose or stockings. Hairlonger than shoulder length was to be tiedup and no makeup was allowedto be worn unless you were a senior (around 17/18 yrs old) and it hadto be very subtle. Nails had to be short and no nail varnish wasallowed. No jewellery except one single chain around the neck and aring if you happened to be married (never ever saw any married girls atschool though!). Very common rules throughout all NZ schools. Boysuniforms are usually drab grey shorts and whatever the schools maincolours are for the socks or sweatshirt/jacket.

I was also wondering today about the word potty (sorry if this hasalready been discussed), why on earth do some people call a toilet apotty? To me a potty would be a very small plastic thing you sit babieson to wean them off nappies.

I went to a boarding school in England, and wehas a ridiculous school uniform as my school was 250 years old -- whichconsisted of shirt, v neck jumper, pleated skirt and (all red, whiteand navy blue) and then a bright/royal blue pinnafore (we called thempinnys, there were like victorian pinafores) -- then a blazer, and whenwe went to Salisbury cathedral we had to wear a big cloak over all ofit that has a hood and went right down to the floor (very warm), and tofinish it of a really really stiff straw hat, which we called'boards' - because they were so hard.

Here is a photo of our school uniform , weird uniform, but my schooldays were amazing and loads of fun living in dormatories with all yourfriends, as I know boarding schools are seen as miserable places, butall my friends are from different boarding schools and most peopleloved it:-

Oh wow! thats so amazing. I alwayswanted to experience boarding school when I was growing up.It reminded me of the old days too and how they were brought up. Notlike the yobs we have today!

Are uniforms werent that bad hehe, we gurls were aloud to wear trousersaswell. Only the tarts wore skirts at my school.

I love the straw hats though that you wore :D

Linz_1987 wrote:
Ive been annoying my mum with sayin baysil instead ofbasil. I want to move to america one day so I had betterstart practising my accent hehe!
my friends always roll their eyes and give me this lookbecause Ialways say "bazzle". I never say "baysil"even though almost all Americans do. They think Im trying to bebritish. I say Im just being correct.

Oh and I hate when I go to the vet and they say "Hi Baaaysil" I always have to correct them!

And Ive never heard of a period being called a full stop. thats funny.

Not many schools in the US have uniforms. Private schools are usually the only ones.

Yes I ended up selling my 'board' (straw hat) toa tourist outside the cathedral for £60 !! Amazing that tourists wouldwant them!, loads of tourists would line up and stare at the funnyenglish girls from a boarding school! I got into trouble forthat as my house mistress did not believe me when i sadi my board 'blewinto the river'.... very naught of me!

My school was pretty strict, we had to stand up every time a teachercame into the room, and our school finished at 3.30pm and them we wouldhave to be back in school for 5 pm until 7 pm for two hours of 'prep'where we would have to sit in silence and all do our homework/prep.Then we would go back to boarding houses , have supper, watch t.v.,muck around and then heave another hour session of 'quiet time' wherewe would have another hour of homework or writting letters, and thenbed! (which was where the fun would begin, visiting dorms, having dormfeasts, trying to escape, smoke etc!!). That was every day!

But our sixth form was pretty relaxed (which is ages17 and18) -- we didnt have to do 'prep' but had to take the'prepsessions' and made sure all the younger years were quiet and doingtheir homework (and occasionally send out the naughty ones fortalking). We were actually allowed to go out into thetown inthe evenings (3 times a week)and go to pubs and bars and wereeven allowed to drink as long as we did not get too drunk - we wereallowed to get tipsy, and if anyone was too drunk we would get the mostsober person to tell our house mistress that we were allbackfrom town and get the drunkard into bed quick!

Latest posts

Back