THE BUNNIES ARE MAKING ME ITCH!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chiquita090

Reaction score
I took my bunnies to the park today. There waspoison ivy near where we were...I tried my best to keep them away fromit but you know how bunnies on leashes are...they don't move unlessthey're good and ready too! I made sure they didn't eat it, but havebeen told many times that animals don't get poison ivy. On the way backhome my face was itching real bad. I got home and washed my face andwas fine. I've actually never had poison ivy, that I can remember, butam told that it takes a while to appear? So the initial itchingsupposedly isn't from that.

Well I was fine for hours. I forgot about the itching and later waspetting the bunnies and started to itch again. But again, washed myhands and face and I'm fine.

I don't know what it is but they picked something up in the park that'smaking me itch and I don't know how to get it off of them! I don't wantto give them a bath. They hate it so bad and anyway I've heard thatbaths for rabbits arn't recommended.

WHAT DO I DO???

Sorry -- I didn't see the post until you bumpedit up. The threads move so fast during the day thatmany posts get shoved down to the second page, and I never have time toread that far down the list.

It'simpossible to guess at what made youitch. Could be the poison ivy, insects, mites, dander,pollen, etc. Over thecounter antihistamines work wondersfor occasionalmild allergic reactions.

Rather than a bath, you can wipe the coat down with a moist towel toremove any allergen from the surface of the coat if they do indeed keeppicking something up from the park. They should also beinspected carefully everyday for ticks if you are taking the rabbitsoutdoors.

If you continue to have symptoms, I'd see an allergist.

Pam

Thanks pamnock! I do get a little itchy fromtheir hair normally but that itchiness from yesterday was nothing likethat. I grew up withdogs, and when they would get fleas, myskin would feel like it felt yesterday. Little pinching feelings allover my skin.

I don't think it's poison ivy cuz I have no rashes or anything thismorning, but for next time, when rabbits touch poison ivy it doesn'thurt them right? I would never let them eat it though.

I'll try whiping them down. Thanks again!

My little sister got poision ivy because our doghad brushed past some on a walk, the oils remained on his coat, andthen he rubbed against her leg :shock:

Not Good :p

I was just goingto say But ME beat melol you have to get the oil offtheir Fur so it cant getat you again.

for non rabbits i have usedAjaxor Dawn dish soap any grease oroil cutting detergent for dishes willwork BUT! for buns imnot sure how you couldapply it with out soaking themdown , Maybe a damp cloth witht he soap wiped over the coatand rinsed repeatedly keep specialattention to the feet wherethey could have picked up the largestamount of it ?

Im not sure about itand getting it off , i would erron the side of caution tillyou see how they react to thedish soap .

I got poison ivy all over my face the week of mybirthday from rubbing my face on my cat, as a sign of affection. Boydid that stink. I wish you luck

It's all taken care of now...I washed their furoff with baby wipes and wala. Who knows what it was that was making meitch. I've pet them plenty today and not even a hint of itchiness! O:-D

Latest posts

Back