The blog of Marci, Stan and Ruby!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OMG I had to share,
Just got this picture of Mu from our breeder..
6310_168394253317154_2055122770_n.jpg

Oh, what an adorable little fellow...lovely picture for this Easter Sunday.

I was changing her sex, what a lovely little lady, you´ll have to put a bow in her hair lol.

She is absolutely beautiful. Hope the three weeks pass soon for you.

Thankyou all! We cant get enough of her pictures...It will be a long 3 weeks but lets hope i keep busy=]

Cute pictures! Great running action shot. And I love the one of Ruby and the chick. Ruby looks like such a sweetheart :)

How is Ruby doing after her illness and the neck problem? I came across some info on hyperextension of the neck in rabbits, that I could share if it's something that is still an issue for her.

OMG! The new pictures are SO SO SO adorable! I especially like the picture of the little chick on her head. Beautiful pictures!!! :big kiss::inlove::goodjob:clapping:

I think the vet has mis diagnosed ruby, Snuffles, but has never sneezed once? Snuffles and no symptoms other than no control over her head... I think and have consulted in a few friends that she has nerve damage... heres a video [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMF4c7CGl64[/ame]

And this was inspired by another user who compared her buns baby photos to today

mc.jpg

I wouldn't have thought that pasteurella would cause that kind of head extension either. It's a bacteria and doesn't always necessarily cause snuffles, but when it causes an ear infection, usually it seems to be more of a head tilt that occurs.

I came across this info on opisthotonus in rabbits. It's arching or hyperextension of the back and head. There were a few causes of it in rabbits, that were suggested. One was called nematodiasis, which is caused by the roundworm from skunks or racoons. The other was caused by a vitamin A deficiency. I'm not sure how possible or common the nematodiasis is. I couldn't really find a lot of info on it in rabbits, just that it could happen. What I read suggested that it may be treatable with the bendazole antiparasitics. There was a little bit more info on the vitamin A deficiency, especially in it happening in young rabbits. It seemed that it would happen because of the vitamin breakdown in poor quality or old feed, so the rabbit or momma rabbit wouldn't get enough vit. A and so wouldn't pass it on to her babies. There was mention of it causing hydrocephalus and the hyperextension of the neck. i'm not sure on the treatment for these either, since there isn't a ton of info on these things. It would seem like with the vit. A deficiency, that getting a better quality fresher feed would be important, and that fresh leafy greens would help. There are also small animal vitamin drops that could be used. I don't know if you feed your rabbits veggies everyday, but that might be something you want to try, if you don't.

There is also the possibility of e. cuniculi being the cause, though I haven't ever read or heard of it causing the head extension like that. E. cuniculi is also treated with the bendazole meds. The treatment is fenbendazole at 20mg/kg, once a day, for 4 weeks.

With the nematodiasis, some places I read that there was no treatment, and others that oxibendazole may help, but I'm wondering if fenbendazole would be equally effective.

http://veterinarymedicine.dvm360.com/vetmed/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=385181&sk=&date=&pageID=5
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/tilt.html

Maybe you could find a different vet that you could talk to about these different possibilities with. It might be good to print out the info and bring it with you for the vet to read. The vit. A would be the easiest to treat, then e. cuniculi. The nematodiasis seems the hardest. But I hope all this info helps and that you can find a good vet that will help you figure out what is going on and how to fix it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back