The beginning of sore hocks?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Guys, I was hanging out with Pippi, and happened to notice her toes on her front feet are sooooo red... Everywhere else on her feet looks fine. No missing fur on the backs, where sore hocks typically show themselves.

She does have a carpet for the bottom of the xpen, but it may be a bit too rough? It is a similar to upholstery. Should I invest in a fleece, or put a blanket over the carpet? She also has this plush igloo with a bed, that she hardly uses. Lol. Typical rabbit.. Haha...

View attachment 1489538874694.jpg

Pododermatitis can be on the toes only. I think it depends on your rabbit's posture. Here are some photos:
http://www.margueritecie.com/pododermatite.php
If it's only red, it's not too concerning. Some carpets can indeed irritate the skin - I put a baby blanket on the part of he normal blanket where my rabbits like to lie down to avoid it. Sometimes, the cause is just the way the rabbit holds himself or that he doesn't clean his feet as well as he should (that's my current problem : Tybalt is a PIG - sometimes, Aki smells his feet and cleans them for him, looking thoroughly disgusted). It those cases, you can just regularly check the state of the feet and treat for a week or two when it gets irritated. I read that creams that thicken the skin could help rabbits to avoid developping pododermatitis (like the dermoscent cream, which is normally used on sled dogs feet to avoid damages to the skin but has no harmful ingredient in it and can be safely licked). A lot of people said it helped them a lot - I tried it on Tybalt, but the results were not really conclusive. With him, like with a previous bunny I had a few years back and who had a posture problem, Forudine (Fucidine) is the only thing that works. It work fast and I can buy it at the vet's counter so that's my usual pododermatitis cure.

Thank you so much, Aki! I will certainly look into the creams. My parents have a lot of different ointment-type medications for our various farm animals, so I will research to see if any of those are good for pododermatitus, and of course if they're rabbit friendly. :)

I will hook her up with a blanket. Hopefully that will make a positive impact on her. ^_^ Thanks again!

My female rabbit has a posture issue and she gets the same thing (silly dwarfs and their malformed bodies :p). We use memory foam kennel pads in her cage (which has carpet as a base) and that seems to help a lot (she's not much of a chewer, so that's a bonus).

What is the problem of my rabbit? Help me please. Nose part pf my rabbit.

IMG20170316185620.jpg

Latest posts

Back