The bare minimum age to neuter a mini breed rabbit?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My sweet baby Panda, who survived pneumonia as a tiny kit, is a little over 2 1/2 months old Dutch & Mini Rex and his testicles are dropping. Not sure how long it takes for them to fully develop (a month?), but they are fairly noticable :( I was checking every day because he is kept with his Mom, Oreo who sometimes mounts him for dominance. He is a very fearful but docile baby.

I absolutely DO NOT want anymore baby bunnies, as I still have 5 out of 7 of his younger half siblings left that no one is interested in (good homes, obviously). Is there a reason why both of my males matured by 3 months old? His Step-Dad, Gary, who is Lionhead and Chinchilla, got bunnies pregnant before he was 4 months old. Was mounting girls at 2 months...

Panda is barely bigger than his 1.5 - 2 lb 7-week-old half-siblings (their Mom is half Rex, half Mini Rex and Panda's parents are the same breed 100%-- but his Dad did not develop testicles until he was 8 MONTHS!)

Because Panda had pneumonia/lung issues and had a 25% chance of survival, I will not take a 1% chance of causing complications for him by neutering him early. Please help :(20190521_211507.jpg

Last edited:
It’s completely dependant upon your vet and when they feel comfortable doing it. Best to have a conversation with them about it.

I spoke with the Vet that took care of him when he was a baby, and the doctor said that he should be neutered at 6 months... Not to be rude, but I strongly disagree. Testicles dropping at 2 1/2 months, my other male had two 7 month old bunnies pregnant at 4 months old...

I called the other vet and they said they would need to examine him but said as soon as they descend. I think I will wait a while longer but maybe separate them even if there is a 1% chance of him getting his Mom pregnant. I have not been able to find a doctor who is 100% rabbit-savvy in AZ, but they are all very good with my bunnies.

I wish I had a more definite answer.

Latest posts

Back