The adventures of Peter Cartier Rabbit!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aww your new little girl is ADORABLE and I love love love her name!!

Typical rabbit, Peter being jealous about the new addition! :p He'll get over it soon I'm sure.

I love reading your posts; you seem like such a happy, positive person and that's such a lovely thing these days!

Wow... Thanks!! You know a lot of people actually tell me I sound like a very positive person but it's kind of funny because I'm usually the one my family calls extremely NEGATIVE?! I like to call it REALISTIC :)

So Peter NATURALLY got over his little hissy fit yesterday! By the end of the night he was melting like butter under my fingers lol!! He fell asleep on my bed while I was forum patrolling (my boyfriend calls me the forum troll because I'm constantly lurking on all forums!).

As for Pandora... after extensive playtime, I realized she was deaf!!! She is almost completely (if not completely) deaf. I will take her to the vet and test the extensiveness of her ability to hear. I was very upset when I found out because I paid a lot of money for her and wanted a "normal" ferret, but after it really set in, I was okay with it because its not HER fault she's deaf! She doesn't even know any different, she really does act like any ferret but I think she's actually more intelligent (she catches on quickly) and SUPER cuddly because of it! The only difference I notice is that she's not scared of anything (especially the vacuum, score!) and she doesn't like playing with noisy things that other ferrets like such as crinkly bags and jingle balls, she's more of an explorer.... I think I have a theme going here with my animals' personalities!! :s Such as... Peter CARTIER Rabbit, he's such a little explorer and he rarely will sit still, Penelope is also an explorer and so is Picasso, none of them are as affectionate as I would like them to be, Peter is getting there, but Pandora is actually extremely sweet and did cuddle and fall asleep in my arms yesterday!

Heres another picture I managed to snap of her right before she mowed her food...

8yvwnk.jpg

I already informed the pet store owner that she's deaf, just so he knows but I'm definitely keeping her. Shes such a cutie!!

This forum is SOOO addictive! Sometimes I get on here to write my blog and a thread happens to catch my eye... so I start reading posts and then naturally I comment and it goes that way from thread to thread lol.

My household is coming along very nicely, all animals are getting all the deserved independent attention and soaking it in like sunshine :) Specifically I also noticed that I can leave Peter in my room (he LOVES falling asleep under my bed) with the door closed and have Pandora out in the other room without the two interfering with one another... that way Peter and Pandora can both have extended out of cage hours!

Peter is SUCH a sweetheart and he's coming around more and more I've noticed now, I can trust him while I'm taking a nap to be out in the apartment without having to worry that he'll chew something or get into somewhere he's not supposed to (not likely considering this place is proofed like a jail LOL) and his favorite activity is to spend time in MY room... I'm not sure why, maybe because when I moved in I didn't want him going in my room under the bed so I used to put a pet gate in the doorway to keep him out, so NOW anytime the gate is away he takes every minute he can to stay in my room. I also realized that even if he's under the bed and I call him from the living room he will come out and come check out why I'm calling him because he's so trained now its just natural to him. That being said, I definitely don't have a problem with him in my room, especially since he got neutered I don't have to worry about him going to potty on my bed. As a matter of fact when I'm awake and forum surfing he usually sleeps on some part of my bed while I'm typing away and as a matter of fact he looks EXTREMELY comfortable at the moment :) When I'm on the phone on my bed he gets very curious and comes up to me and comes for pets...

I think I may try to introduce him and Pandora soon. They have their cages next to each other (totally secured) so they have each others' scent. They don't mind one another when they walk up to the cage to sniff and because Pandora is deaf (maybe not the reason) I find she is actually quite a gentle ferret and really just wants to explore rather than being super hyper. They MAY just get along.

Clearly I'm not going to leave them in a room and say "hey guys you stay here for a couple of hours and we'll take it from there" LOL. But I'm planning on buying a play pen the fabric ones with the top covers and put one or the other in there while the other one is free road and see how they react to eachother that way at ground level. I would NEVER put any of my babies to risk, especially by being irresponsible... As for now, I'm working things out separately first and allowing Pandora time to settle into her new home... (oh and I also teach her rather than nipping my hands during play ONLY to nip her toys :))

I love all my little critters all the same!!

JjGoesBounce wrote:
1. Your ferret is adorable! Being deaf means she'll just excel in another aspect like CUTENESS! :)
2. Loving the names here!
Jj

Uhhhhmm... ACTUALLY rather than JUST cuteness... apparently they're extremely intelligent and cuddly :) They can learn sign language if properly taught and do all tricks that other ferrets can too.

Yeah... when I got my bird Picasso, I just thought it would be cute to go with a P because it really suit him (He's very green and colorful like a painting). When I got Penelope, I was planning on naming her with a P but not necessarily then when I got her the girl was like "oh well she doesn't really have a name, I wanted to name her Penelope, but a hedgehog named Penelope seems kind of odd" I thought the name was adorable so that stuck.... naturally Pandora just followed suit, but I also thought of Pandora's box and beauty and she sure is a beautiful girl!!

And here I thought Peter's middle name was of the diamond variety, not the explorer. ;) LOL!

Looks like the little lady is settling in very nicely. Did the store owner get back to you once you told him she was deaf?

holtzchick wrote:
JjGoesBounce wrote:
1. Your ferret is adorable! Being deaf means she'll just excel in another aspect like CUTENESS! :)
Jj

Uhhhhmm... ACTUALLY rather than JUST cuteness... apparently they're extremely intelligent and cuddly :) They can learn sign language if properly taught and do all tricks that other ferrets can too. :thud: really? coolioness!

Yeah... when I got my bird Picasso, I just thought it would be cute to go with a P because it really suit him (He's very green and colorful like a painting). When I got Penelope, I was planning on naming her with a P but not necessarily then when I got her the girl was like "oh well she doesn't really have a name, I wanted to name her Penelope, but a hedgehog named Penelope seems kind of odd" I thought the name was adorable so that stuck.... naturally Pandora just followed suit, but I also thought of Pandora's box and beauty and she sure is a beautiful girl!! You have a BIRD! :shocked: :gasp: :thud:

SunnyCait wrote:
And here I thought Peter's middle name was of the diamond variety, not the explorer. ;) LOL!

Looks like the little lady is settling in very nicely. Did the store owner get back to you once you told him she was deaf?
LOL... no its definitely like the explorer!! First day I got him he wouldn't come near me but was OH so curious to get on his hind legs and explore.

Actually he didn't get back to me more so I think he ignored my email :\ SO then I called the actual store and I told him. Then he proceeded to tell me (honestly) how many ferrets he sold last year (I think it was over 250 !!) and he said I was the first one to say my ferret was deaf.... maybe he was telling the truth, a lot of people that buy them impulse buy so maybe they didn't even notice its hard to notice it but I don't know. Then he said that he would call Marshalls and ask them about it personally and said that if that was the case he wouldn't be ordering any more fancy white coloured ones and just stick to the dark ones, he said he would've thought that Marshalls checked them since they come with a health guarantee (which they do, but it costs too much money and takes too much time to test them for deafness individually). He said he has a fuzzy at the store that he could give me instead and he would send her back to Marshalls then after I told him that I was keeping her he said oh okay, Marshalls would most likely put her down so it's good that she's got a good home with you. He also told me that I should call Marshalls and ask for some merchandise in exchange because I want to keep her but I also have a *$150 guarantee on genetic defects* and to let them know that I'll be taking her to the vet to check for deafness and for them to cover those costs as well. He told me to keep him posted because he's really curious.

Now... being a person that sold so many ferrets its HARD to say if he was telling the truth or not, I think he just wanted to make a sale (he also told me there was food in the box to get her through the night and when I opened the box there was a tiny handful of those that I could collect :\ but then again she was travelling for 8 hours) He seemed like a nice guy, he was very friendly and handled it well but like I said a sale is a sale. I think he's just uneducated about the product he's selling so maybe he just doesn't know better.

When I got her she was also skinny as hell and now that she's with me she eats like a little monster LOL. I have her on a bunch of soup, getting her treats and vitamins and feed her like 3 times a day FULL bowl!! I hope she can gain some weight :)

JjGoesBounce wrote:
holtzchick wrote:
JjGoesBounce wrote:
Jj

Uhhhhmm... ACTUALLY rather than JUST cuteness... apparently they're extremely intelligent and cuddly :) They can learn sign language if properly taught and do all tricks that other ferrets can too. :thud: really? coolioness!

Yeah... when I got my bird Picasso, I just thought it would be cute to go with a P because it really suit him (He's very green and colorful like a painting). When I got Penelope, I was planning on naming her with a P but not necessarily then when I got her the girl was like "oh well she doesn't really have a name, I wanted to name her Penelope, but a hedgehog named Penelope seems kind of odd" I thought the name was adorable so that stuck.... naturally Pandora just followed suit, but I also thought of Pandora's box and beauty and she sure is a beautiful girl!! You have a BIRD! :shocked: :gasp: :thud:LOL... Have you not looked through pictures on my blog?! I don't expect you to read it because read as you wish but I personally love surfing through peoples blogs and just looking through the pictures! I have a picture of my birdie in his cage! :)

holtzchick wrote:
JjGoesBounce wrote:
holtzchick wrote:
JjGoesBounce wrote:
Jj

Yeah... when I got my bird Picasso, I just thought it would be cute to go with a P because it really suit him (He's very green and colorful like a painting). When I got Penelope, I was planning on naming her with a P but not necessarily then when I got her the girl was like "oh well she doesn't really have a name, I wanted to name her Penelope, but a hedgehog named Penelope seems kind of odd" I thought the name was adorable so that stuck.... naturally Pandora just followed suit, but I also thought of Pandora's box and beauty and she sure is a beautiful girl!! You have a BIRD! :shocked: :gasp: :thud:LOL... Have you not looked through pictures on my blog?! I don't expect you to read it because read as you wish but I personally love surfing through peoples blogs and just looking through the pictures! I have a picture of my birdie in his cage! :)Where??? I can't see/find it... (feeling confuzzled and dumb..)

YES... looks like good news is FINALLY on the rise! Our restaurant is opening soon and I've been doing renos in it since I'd say about the end of November, they're coming to an end hopefully this week!

I also totally put chicken wire UNDER my couch and in any spaces Pandora can get into. I spoke with Marshalls Pets today and they said if I can get a vet to fax them that Pandora is deaf, they will FULLY reimburse me for what I paid for her because I want to keep her! Thats crazy that I actually had good intentions of paying full price for a sweetheart and now I practically got her for free... except for all of her accessories, and well... its still a big shame that she's deaf :( AH I feel so accomplished today for some reason.

Happy whatever day to you.... ahahha I love that commercial on the radio.....

holtzchick wrote:
Awh, yeah I read a lot about some of the groups out there trying to spread info on ferret ownership in hopes to legalize it!

Hmmm it would be nice if they could. I would love to have one. Yet I find it unlikely it'll happen any time soon.

I've also wanted a hedgehog too. Can't have them here either :grumpy:

Latest posts

Back