Texan Tales (& Tails) - by TinysMom

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wabbitmom12 wrote:
It's quite something else to get an unexpected visit :stork: from the stork!! :faint::thud:

Hang in there Peg!! :pullhair:
Its funny because I was going to come in here today and share how Thunder's been teasing me by carrying around hay and nesting.

We think we figured out what happened. I forgot that a few weeks ago Rudy jumped out of his cage (long story - he didn't have a real door - but after that happened Art found the real door for his cage and put it on).

I don't remember how long he was on the floor - I remember coming out and finding him chinning stuff.....

But I forgot about it because he acted more like a bun who'd just gotten out....than a bun who'd just gotten some....loving.

Another one of the girls is pushing around hay.....we had to practically destroy Thunder's nest to get to the babies (there were some dead and the nest was between cages). We thought we heard more crying earlier but can't find any more babies....

The thing is...after I got to thinking about it....this litter's genetics goes like this:

Mama - Thunder - out of Nyx & Mercury
Daddy - Rudy - out of Harmony & Mercury

This is a double-Mercury breeding - with Harmony thrown in the mix (her babies are REALLY NICE).

TinysMom wrote:
Sometimes I hate my life.

We've been joking about Thunder nesting over the last couple of days. Last night I was laughing and pretending to be her and going, "But I'm gonna be the one with an early Christmas present for breeder mama...so nah nah nah...".

Well....Merry Christmas mama.....she had five babies - three are alive (and nursed) and we're checking around for any others.

I think its funny - I can't breed rabbits when I want to - and when I decide to get out of it - I have babies.

The only question is....HOW?

I'm SURE all the girls on the floor are girls. Or at least I was....

Dukey's been caged for a while.

I try to never let boys out unless they go outside to play.

Oh well.....babies. HUGE babies.

Time to go socialize the babies...
I often wonder how people that want to breed can't get their does to take and yet all these buns we get into rescue have huge litters! God must be laughing at us, lol. Enjoy your babies Peg.

TinysMom wrote:
The thing is...after I got to thinking about it....this litter's genetics goes like this:

Mama - Thunder - out of Nyx & Mercury
Daddy - Rudy - out of Harmony & Mercury

This is a double-Mercury breeding - with Harmony thrown in the mix (her babies are REALLY NICE).[/quote]

God surely does have a sense of humor! This may be some of your best breeding yet :D. BTW, (and this makes sense if you think about it), from our experiences with Sweetie, the smaller litters born to very good Mamas tend to be healthy and strong. They also grow up to be LARGE specimens...SO desirable in Flemish...Having that really healthy beginning helps them to literally grow to their largest potential size!

Case in point: Handsome Bun, from Sweetie's spring litter (so he is now 6 months old) is already as big as Titan!!! And Titan is BIG!! Handsome has another 6 -8 months to grow. :shock: I'm looking forward to seeing him on the show table in the spring!

Wabbitdad12 wrote:
The bunny's knew you didn't have enough excitement in your life so they wanted to give you some.

Baby buns are so cute, but baby flemmies are the cutest.
:yeahthat:

I may try to get pictures tomorrow - I'm a bit nervous about how Thunder is gonna do as a mom. They kinda look fed...but not as fed as I'd like.

I took her out of her cage earlier today because she was going stir crazy...now she's driving all the other girls up the wall. She's trying to mount everyone and Robin was like, "Are you sure that's really Thunder and not one of the boys?"

YES...I'M SURE.

Its just that a rabbit will give birth and then turn around and breed again right away...

Anyway - I did something GOOD for myself today. I went to see the doctor....for a few reasons. First of all, I think I have some sort of ligament damage in my knee. Secondly, I needed to get back on some sort of anti-depressant medication. Also - I decided that I'd like to have a referral for seeing a dietitian to lose weight.

First for the anti-depressants - she gave me Effexor (sp?)....its in a different family than what I've taken before. She talked about how some of what I'm describing really sounds like this family of drugs might help more because its like it stimulates the adrenaline to give me more "oomph" although that's not the way she said it. She said it is like Wellbutrin but not as....strong? Something like that.

For the pain meds - she took me off Tramadol (which I suppose would work ok) and said she'd rather see me on Vicadin (sp?). I was ok in her office for a bit but the more I sat in that chair - the more it hurt and I was almost in tears near the end and rubbing my leg. She is also recommending me for physical therapy for my knees.

Finally - I'm going to get an appointment (probably after the first of the year) with the dietitian to set up a diet plan that I'll actually work with and that will help me lose some weight.

It was a new doctor - something that is normally hard for me - but it was a great visit and I liked her a lot. I don't think I'd be scared to go back and see her again.

Finally - the best news of all...

ZEUS LOVES ME AGAIN & IS COMING TO ME AND SLEEPING ON THE BED AND SORTA SNUGGLING!

I have no exact idea on why his behavior has changed - but today is the third day he's been up on the bed with me and let me pet him and stuff. It's almost like having my old Zeus back.

I'll try to take pics of the babies this weekend...I'm just so scared to get my hopes up and get attached....

My fears have come true - she pulled fur but there is no milk in her nipples that I can see....

I told Robin "We're on the 'Dukey' train again...this time X3.....".

Hopefully Art got my message (he'd just gone to TSC for something else) - to get KMR...

It looks like we have 2 steels and 1 light gray.

We fed the three babies....two of them ate really well - the runt didn't do as well but he/she still got some in its tummy.

I'm going to continue to have Thunder with them in case her milk comes in...but at least for now - they're fed.

Two of the babies have died - the only one left is the light gray one who is obviously a buck. (He has deadly aim when he goes to pee which is how I know).

I'm really struggling with this - it feels like "Dukey 2.0" as I told the kids. I'm scared to get attached to him.

I've been worried because its been hard to get him to pee and then when he peed last night it smelled pretty bad (strong). BUT - when I fed him a few minutes ago - he peed on his own which is good cause I guess we're past the point where I have to stimulate him to pee. At least I hope so.

Thunder is acting sad - like she knew she was supposed to do more - but she just couldn't. Then again - she is Nyx's daughter....so I suspect she's a bit more sensitive like her mama is.

Latest posts

Back