tetanus in rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anaotilia

Reaction score
A male rabbit after 10 days of sterilization became stiffer and stiffer.
It walks with a lot of difficulties, the mouth is very stiff and the chin always wet, i think it doesn't eat.
it had an infection to genitals few days after the surgery, we trated it with antibiotics.
The veterinary and me too, suspect a tetanus.
What I can do?
Veterinary tells me nothing to do up it dies.
I want to tries all the possibilies (gammaglobuline?)
Today we are at the secon day of stiffness.
Yesterday we gave it a shot of 0,5 of dexamethasone.
Thanks for Yr appreciated avcice.
Anaotilia

I see you are in the Dominican Republic. Is there another vet you can take it to and get a second opinion? As a human I've
had tetanus before and got treatment. Why can't they treat with wide spectrum antibiotics? This happened after
being fixed/not to have kids? Was there an infection from the surgery? Where was the surgery done? In Puerto Plata?

I hope your rabbit gets better and you can find another vet that deals with exotic animals.

Vanessa

Isn't this the third time something similar like this has happened, after you've had a rabbit neutered? It doesn't sound like your vet doing this, is using a clean environment, or is doing something wrong, to have so many deaths linked to infections. I would suggest either finding a different vet or stop having your rabbits neutered.

You could try the antibiotic metronidazole. It seems to be the preferred antibiotic used for tetanus in people, and is also considered a safe antibiotic for rabbits. Injectable(only) penicillin would be the next best antibiotic to try if metronidazole isn't available to you.

http://www.medirabbit.com/Safe_medication/Antibiotics/Safe_antibiotics.htm

Keep in mind too, that the effects of tetanus would be horrible for a rabbit to be experiencing. It would be suffering, and when the effects of the illness are severe, sometimes the kindest thing is to let them go, and not prolong that pain and suffering.

After the surgery, we gave him a shot of penycillin for five days (0,3 cc streptopen 20/25).
When the infection started in the genitals, we gave him 3 days more of penycillin and cloramfenicol orally (0,5 cc) twice a day.
Now, in few minutes, I will start to give him twice a day 1 cc of metronidazol 250 mg orally (the same concentration we give to the children).
Thanks for the advice.
Ana

Don't know if you saw the link for dosages. For metronidazole, dosage is 20mg/kg twice a day.

I'm hoping for the best and that this cures your bun.

After reading Jbuns post, I agree, no more neutering your rabbits. My husband is from peru and I know for a fact things are not sterile down there when they do surgery on PEOPLE.. (no flames from Peruvians on this list if there are any, I've seen too many of his relatives get sick from doctors that aren't doing many things sterile that they should) no less animals and yes I know the Dominican Republic is not Peru, but I think it's the same attitude the doctors/vets have about being clean and having a sterile environment from what you are posting.

Three strikes and you are out.. three times and no more... it's a waste of the poor animals life to go to vets who do not have a sterile enviroment.

Vanessa

Latest posts

Back