Testies..

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CuddlesMom

Reaction score
? i have a "male" rex he will be 3 this march...they told me when i bought him he was a "male"...now my neighbor has a male rabbit and when you turn him over you can see two pink sacs i assume there his testies...when i hold cuddles up he dont have that..so i wonder if he is really a she lol.....i havent brought him to a vet yet and dont know how to "sex" my rabbit and would rather not try to figure that out lol ...so anyway how old are male buns when and if even there testies drop???!!! Or someone bump a thread up so i can figure this out! :) txs

My buns do seem to be able to "hide" theirs...
sometimes they'll be really obvious, sometimes not, but it seems like you
should've seen them by now if Cuddles actually is a boy... maybe he is really a she !

Is it possible that he was neutered before you got him? Depending upon the breed, I believe that neutering can be done around 3 to 3-1/2mos or so (later for larger breeds), at the time of sexual maturity. If your rabbit is a male and is intact, you should be ableto see his testes (as you did with your neighbor's rabbit). However, having said that, my rabbit Raph is a male but his testes never descended, and he will be a year old on the 23rd of this month...I'm not sure how common it is for this to happen in rabbits.To check and see if your bunny is indeed a male, you can place your fingers at the front and back of the genital area and gently press...the penis should extend and be quite easy to see when this is done. (A female's genitalia will be shaped like a "v", the male's will be more of an oval or round shape.)

Hope this helps...

~Di

DISCLAIMER: I was told this by a breeder as a method to tell sex at birth or shortly afterwards. I do NOT know if it works with an adult rabbit.

The method I was told to use was to take a warm wet cloth and stimulate the genital area to make the (baby) rabbit pee. Hold the rabbit so it is NOT facing you.

If it is a buck....it will..."project" the urine.

If it is a doe...it will dribble the urine.

I haven't yet tried it...and I don't know if it would work for an adult....but it might be worth a try.

(Caution: If someone else is in the room - don't point the rabbit at them either).

:bunnydance:

Peg

TinysMom wrote:
DISCLAIMER: I was told this by a breeder as a method to tell sex at birth or shortly afterwards. I do NOT know if it works with an adult rabbit.

The method I was told to use was to take a warm wet cloth and stimulate the genital area to make the (baby) rabbit pee. Hold the rabbit so it is NOT facing you.

If it is a buck....it will..."project" the urine.

If it is a doe...it will dribble the urine.

I haven't yet tried it...and I don't know if it would work for an adult....but it might be worth a try.

(Caution: If someone else is in the room - don't point the rabbit at them either).

:bunnydance:

Peg
LOL - good thing you clarified not to hold the rabbit facing you. I could totally see someone with their face all up in it trying to stimulate the genitals and then getting squirted right in the eye!

So far I've been able to correctly sex kits at birth (though I never permanently state gender until 2-3 weeks of age).

If any of you have young kittens... it's quite similar, although in a much smaller scale (I'm talking millimeters) - if there's some space between the genitals and the anus - it's a buck... if the genitals look attached to the anus - it's a doe. I've never tried the pee trick... I wonder if it actually works. I'll try it with my next litter (due in 2-3 weeks) and let you all know how it goes.

But back to the topic - I've had young bucks decend their buddies as young as 11 weeks. If your rabbit is not spayed or neutered to your knowledge, I'd put my money on your rabbit being a doe.

If you purchased your bunny at a pet store, 9 times out of 10 they don't know how to sex a rabbit, instead they make the assumption that if it sticks up it's a boy, and if they're wrong - who cares, it's a sold rabbit anyways.

SunnieBunnie Rabbitry wrote:
and if they're wrong - who cares, it's a sold rabbit anyways.

:great:

I LOVE it!

I still can't sex kits at birth- but I'm about to go try....I hope I have enough time between now and Survivor in 20 minutes (6 kits).

Peg

I actually thought about having Art try to sex the kits tonight w/ the washcloth....but not giving him the warning - of course - that was right after we'd had an argument in the car....

Bad Peggy......must not think such things!

Latest posts

Back