terrified lil bun :(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PupTheRabbit

Reaction score
I have a 3 month old bunny, Luna. Ever since I got her she was a scared little girl and bolted when I walked near her, moved my hand to try and pet her, and even tried to pick her up. I got her 1 month ago and she still won't let me go near her. The only time I get to pick her up and pet her is when she's already in her cage. Even then her heart beats reallllly fast and sometimes she even pants/squeaks.

The only time she goes near me is when I'm sitting on my bedroom floor minding my own business and she'll sniff my feet or nose me.

How can I get her to be less scared?:hiding:

In general buns do not like to be picked up. Sounds like she needs some taming. Sit by her cage only and just talk to her. Read a book outloud or have a short conversation. Dont try to pet her at these times. Shes just associated petting with being picked up and shes not comfortable with you yet. Do this for a couple of weeks. When she's out sit in the middle of the floor and ignore her. Buns are naturally curious. Once she's gotten to the point where she will come up to you and smell you and isnt so jumpy around you try giving her a treat. No petting just the treat. Once she is coming up and begging then try with the petting. Rabbits generally speaking only like their heads, faces, necks petted/rubbed/scritched. They dont like their backs or hind quarters messed with. My German Giant loves his butt scratched for some reason but I think this is a little uncommon.
It could take a few weeks or it could take a few months. It took about 3 months for my little bad rabbit to trust us.

It also depends on what kind of personality your rabbit is going to grow into. I have one that likes her face and ears massaged at night before bed. Any other time she pretty much hates us all. One that likes his big ol ears scritched and will come up periodically for attention. And I have one that if he isnt plastered to you getting attention 24/7 he's a very unhappy bun.

Rabbits are very different from cats or dogs. You have to earn their trust and it's a process for sure. But it's very rewarding!

How old is she? Where did you get her from?

I find routine is a HUGE thing with bunnies. Mine do so well with that. I think that it helps them not be as nervous in general if they can expect what will happen when through the coarse of the day. Always do the same things at the same time and order in the day. It helps them a lot; get her into a routine every day for instance (just an example, do things in whatever order you like) First you feed her, then when she's done, you let her out of her cage in a certain area to run for however long, and then put her away. For a long time I would then also give a treat (a small one like a bit of veggies) every time when I'd put them back in the cage. They knew to expect all these things in the morning and looked forward to it. They've learned to trust me because they're excited about what's coming and don't have to wonder what will come next. Ripley never liked to be held or petted, but now though no one else can hardly pet him or hold him at all, he'll let me. I know he doesn't enjoy it, so I don't do it for long periods, be he tolerates it because he trusts and loves me. That's where you're trying to get to.

I agree about each bunny having a different personality. Many people think that if you just get a bunny as young as possible it will love attention and be super lovey dovey. I don't agree. Each animal has its own personality and some like being pet and held more than others. With a bunny who isn't so into being held, learn to watch from a distance; learn their likes and dislikes; give frequent bits of little healthy treats (like veggies) and only give treats as a reward to the bunny for being around you.

Remember, a month isn't a long time to have a bunny. You bunny is still settling in and learning her new home, family etc. Also, if she isn't spayed, you want to consider that. Not only does it have huge health benefits, she may also be more layed back and less nervous.

Though it's overwhelming now, keep going, and be patient. With some more treats, time, and lots of love, I think she'll learn to trust. It is such a rewarding feeling to have an animal learn to trust you. Not only will she learn to trust, I think you'll be surprised at what a bong you'll form with her and at what a good friend a bunny is.

Last edited:
Be patient and be consistent. Let the bunny come to you. Bambi, a Mini Rex was just the same when we rescued her. She wanted nothing to do with us. After a few months I'd give her a little bit of Cilantro when she was in her hutch and do nothing else. When she was out and I was fixing veggies, she'd come over and bump my ankle and every time I'd give her some more Cilantro. She got to the point where she'd stand and beg and let me rub her head. Now I can call her and she comes and I can rub her head, neck, chin, back, sides and belly. Not nearly as shy as she used to be. The biggest investment I have in all of this is time--more than a year, but it sure is worth it. Serena on the other hand is an attention craver, loves to be held and rubbed all over and has been that way since day one. All rabbits are different but you can get the behavior you want from most and bribery is of key importance.

Has she got some sort of hideaway in her cage? If not, putting one in will help her feel more secure. The others have given good advice. My first rabbit was the same, I think it took an hour of sitting by the hutch and talking softly before she came out, there was a treat waiting for her. You need to babe patient and not force anything. When you have her out on the floor, I suggest laying down on your back and putting some food on your belly, if you stay completely still she should reach onto you to get it :)

Everyone else had good ideas. I just wanted to add my own 2 cents. I'm a big advocate of never reaching into or disturbing my buns when they are in their cage. I think this robs them of their "safety zone.' I like to see their cage as their personal area where they know they can go and not be disturbed. It is their place of solace, if you will.
Just like the idea of having a hidey area, I think a rabbit will feel more secure and more quick to feel confident enough to explore if she knows she has a space she can retreat if needed.

Latest posts

Back