Telling the difference between bucks and does

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinysMom

Reaction score
Some of you may remember when I shared about how to tell a buck from a doe when they're newborns....to use a warm damp cloth to get them to pee and if it shoots out its a buck and if it dribbles its a girl.

I was going to have Art help me with the test but not tell him to point the baby in the other direction (or at least I thougth about not warning him).

Well - tonight I was showing Art my broken tort babies. I LOVE brokens and I'm so thrilled with my broken tort mama.

She had finished nursing the babies and I hadn't checked their patterns yet today... So I took the nestbox into the bedroom where the light is better so that I could see their patterns and all of a sudden - the little one I'm holding lets loose and squirts me right on the chest (from maybe 6-8" away).

Art starts laughing and goes, "Yep...that one's a boy alright!"

MEN! (bucks?)...

ARG!

Oh well - at least I got pictures of them today - I'll try to share them in the bunny blogs area probably later this week.

Peg

Oh, cool! I did not know that! Now I won't have to wait weeks, chewing my fingernails to see if the little baby with the perfect color is a buck or a doe! Will this work on a two or three week old kit, too?

Well - someone definitely has a sense of humor - I need to share "the rest" of the story.

Thursday night I was looking at a baby....trying to see if it was a buck or do. I wasn't even thinking....

....and yes...I got sprayed...right in the EYE (I had my glasses off).

URINE STINGS!!!!

A breeder friend of mine was telling me about this earlier - how she got sprayed by a buck (slightly different situation). I think she JINXED ME!

Peg

Latest posts

Back