tell me the truth! - Flemish Giant size

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilovepets

Reaction score
well its kind of a dumb question, but how big is the average flemish giant? i know they can be like 10lbs, but size wise, how big? i have a mini lop and she's only about 5-6 lbs but when she lays down, she is about 2 feet long!

i always see the pics of people holding flemish giants and they are as big as a medium sized dog… but when i see them at a fair, they are only about twice the size of my rabbit (though it might be young).

show me some pics of your giants! do the really get that big?

Flemish Giants are far more than 10 lbs.
If Roxie really stretches out she can touch a doorknob...so about 3' tall.

ek.jpg

Shoot, I don't have any available pics right now but in my bunny blog there's quite a few. My buck is 16lb and my doe is 17lb. They are definitely bigger then most house cats, and a maltese (from personal observation). When my Xena stretches out she's easily over 2ft long but that's with her feet kicked out. My buns don't seem too big to me, but when I see other rabbits they usually look like babies or toys. I guess it helps my perspective that I'm a big guy myself, but when my wife lifts one of the buns they do look huge and take up most of her torso.

thats so cute! are they pretty gentle for their size? i see people on youtube pick them up and just flip them on their back… if i did that with my lop, she would throw a kicking fit. she doesn't always mind getting picked up but she does have her moody days :)

I've heard that in general bigger breeds tend to be a bit more laid back, but obviously every rabbit will be different. :) On the other side of things, I can say that my two smaller breeds (Nethie dwarf and mini lop) can be quite high-strung and jumpy.

Wish I could post my pic, but my GF was close to 20 lbs and when my 70 lb Boxer was curled up on the couch and the rabbit stretched out on couch, they were almost the same size. Being a photographer, I think that the photos that we see of the larger German rabbit with the man holding it was taken up close with a wide angle lens. That will really distort the size of an animal. I have a picture of my friend holding my GF and he looks monstrously big because of the same technique :)

I don't know if you know how big the XL activity centers are from Happy Rabbit Toys, but this is my boy sitting on his. He's about 9 months old and still seems to be growing. He's around 12-14 lbs if I had to guess. When I hold him at my hip, his face is next to mine without stretching.

As for personality, as stated, it depends on the rabbit. My female was a therapy bunny. Harry is a jerk LOL.

015.jpg

thats so cute! are they pretty gentle for their size? i see people on youtube pick them up and just flip them on their back… if i did that with my lop, she would throw a kicking fit. she doesn't always mind getting picked up but she does have her moody days :)

My guys are pretty gentle, but picking them up is like most rabbits difficult. The more confident we we're the easier it was to do, but in the beginning there was some kicks and some scratches. No I can't say there have been issues aside form the occasional nip but when they realize that won't get them down they stop.

I would love to get a flemmish giant, they look so huggable. Are they able to be kept as indoor rabbits and be litter trained?

I'd love a flemish giant, but I honestly dont know where I would keep a rabbit THAT size! They are teddy bears from what i have heard.

I would love to get a flemmish giant, they look so huggable. Are they able to be kept as indoor rabbits and be litter trained?

Of course. Roxie is 2 ½ years old and has never so much as dropped one single turd outside the litter box. There was also no training involved. I adopted her from a shelter at 4 months old, gave her a litter box and she simply used it (not normal, so don't expect it to be that easy).
My last large mixed breed was Bud and he was about 12 years old when he had his first accident (peed on the carpet). A week later it happened again which was reason enough to take him to the vet and it turned out the poor guy had cancer. He could also free roam the house without supervision...never chewed on anything that wasn't his.

Main thing is to have them spayed or neutered otherwise litter box training will be next to impossible. Also, no pet rabbit deserves to be kept outside.

That is really good to hear :D

I currently have a 6 month old mini lop who is awesome, he is recently sprayed. But I wouldn't mind a Flemmish giant as a friend bit later down the track (they are the only large breed rabbits available in my area).

Got my two from different breeders, and there was zero litter training involved. I stuck the litter in a corner, confined them to a small area, and presto they took to it. Occasionally, rarely even, I have an issue with my doe peeing where she shouldn't but for the most part they are very well behaved. Space wise, well I keep them in a prepurposed laundry closet but for the most part they are free roam.

Latest posts

Back