Tell me about your bonding and neuter experiences

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haru the Lionhead

Reaction score
Hello guys, ever since I got haru I’ve been thinking about getting her a friend. But now after the surgery and the worms and stress, we’re going to put that on hold,
I’ll wait until I’m experienced and ready enough to take care of two rabbits, but there are a few questions that i've been thinking about, if i wait until haru becomes one year or more, is it okay to get a younger rabbit? or will it be harder for them to get along? i'm worried that she would think about him as an intruder because this is her house now. and I’ve been thinking about the surgery, I struggled alot with haru, is neuter after care easier than a spay? would I worry about him opening up his incision for a whole week?

A neuter is much less invasive than a spay. However it can take as long as 6-8 weeks for hormones to fully dissipate after a neuter.

Neuter status is far more important to bonding success than age. Ideally, you would have your girl meet some other already-fixed rabbits to pre-screen for potential compatibility. I don't know if that is an option where you live.

The downside of getting an intact rabbit is that you have no way to pre-screen for potential compatibility (because hormones change everything).

Here's a link worth reading about bonding:
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bonding-bunnies.html

Last edited:
Hello guys, ever since I got haru I’ve been thinking about getting her a friend. But now after the surgery and the worms and stress, we’re going to put that on hold,
I’ll wait until I’m experienced and ready enough to take care of two rabbits, but there are a few questions that i've been thinking about, if i wait until haru becomes one year or more, is it okay to get a younger rabbit? or will it be harder for them to get along? i'm worried that she would think about him as an intruder because this is her house now. and I’ve been thinking about the surgery, I struggled alot with haru, is neuter after care easier than a spay? would I worry about him opening up his incision for a whole week?
Hi, I’ll let you know my experience. I had a neutered boy and thought he would benefit from a friend. I went to our local rescue centre and got a spayed female. Because of covid he wasn’t allowed to “bunny date” which in hindsight I highly recommend. The rescue centre said I could return the female if it didn’t work out. I had her for three months (bonding can be a long process) but unfortunately she didn’t fall in love with my little guy and I had to return her - I was heartbroken as I fell in love with her but I couldn’t keep two rabbits in seperate pens, I just didn’t have the room. My boy got very withdrawn and unhappy around her but is back to his normal and happy self now he is on his own. This is just my experience, I think letting bunnies choose their own mates would really help if you decide to go ahead and be prepared it’s a lot of work. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back