Telemarketers...Hmmmm.....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kadish Tolesa

Reaction score
We just had a call this evening from a telemarketer for the Madison Law Enforcement ; he called just as I was putting the finishing touches on my husband's supper.

Well I listened politely as I know I should, but when he went down from 30.$ to a 10.$ range and was sounding desparate...I said I was sorry but I'd have to check with my husband first. This is true, BTW, my adorable hubby allows me to take good care of my children and my bunnies-- but he likes to know if or when I contribute over the phone.

Well the poor TM went on and on. I feel bad for those who have that job, I really don't envy them the task of raising funds this way. I said I'd call back, if he would leave me a number. He replied that there wasn't a number to call, as the call to us was being made from a switchboard mainframe.

Then I asked if I could say something , as this call was for a donation to law enforcement. He said o.k.

I was reading in the news a while back of the death of D. Spanbauer (sp?) , who was convicted of several murders in WI. One of his victims was in the house with only her brother--who was hiding in fear upstairs at the sound of shouts and gunfire. Her brother called 911 ; and it took them 45 minutes to get to her house on the edge of town. I asked the TM if we donated money to any law enforcement, I wanted to know that it would make a difference in the way police handled response time.

The TM responded that it takes the police a while to find out where you live, and if you're in the country, it can take up to an hour or more.

Wow...now that's scary . I'm glad we live right off the interstate .

Anyway, the call ended fine, but I didn't donate today b/c I like to have a way to reach them if I have any further questions. Sounds goofy, I guess. I've started talking to telemarketers, most of them don't have alot of time, so the call ends soon ; however in a nicer way. They probably get hung up on quite a bit. :?

I appreciate law enforcement ; but what pressure to have on the job.

Kadish Tolesa :ponder:

Kadish Tolesa wrote:

Well I listened politely as I know I should,

Kadish Tolesa :ponder:

I am polite, but I certainly don't feel that I'm under any obligation to listen. I simply state, "Thank you, but I'm not interested". Without waiting for a response, I then hang up the phone.

If they call more than a couple times, I ask them to remove us from their call list.

You can also register with the National Do Not Call list . . .

https://www.donotcall.gov/default.aspx

Pam

I'm usually polite, but being woken up just so someone can try to sell me something gets on my nerves- half the time they have such thick accents I can't even understand a word they say. I usually just hang up without saying something, especially when they've disturbed me from doing something! If it's like the red cross or an organization I usually just say no thanks, but if it's someone trying to get me better cable service or carpet cleaning or what not I just hang up.

They sure get annoying! Especially when they phone in the mornings and wake you up!

Many of the telemarketers are from India (hence the heavy accents). They are supposed to Americanize themselves as much as possible by using American names such as "Bob Smith". :rollseyes:

Sadly, many companies find themselves outsourcing in order to keep competitive in the business market. Far cheaper to hire workers in the Middle East than to hire Americans at a competitive wage.

Pam

When services are telemarketing for donations for law enforcement, usually it's the service that's making the money. Here's some info from the Fairfield PD....

I receive calls from solicitors requesting donations for various police related associations. Are these legitimate ? Should I donate to these solicitors ?
The Fairfield Police Department does not solicit over the telephone. The Police Department is a part of the West Essex PBA Local #81. The only solicitation done from the Police Department or PBA Local 81 is through the mail, usually once annually for the Dinner Dance. Calls from all other "law enforcement" organizations are done by telemarketing firms. These solicitations, DO NOT benefit the Fairfield Police Department or PBA Local 81 in any way. These telemarketers are not Police Office rs and use high pressure tactics to get you to participate. Several of them will say there solicitations benefit Essex County Police Agencies.
We urge you to use extreme caution should you decide to contribute to these agencies. The only organization making money from this solicitations is the telemarketing firm. If you decide to contribute to any of these organizations, always ask for the name, address and telephone number so that you may call back after careful consideration. Most of them will not give out this information. You may also ask for financial statements and/or budget information prior to making your decision. If you have any questions please direct them to the Police Department. [/b]

I don't know what it is, but I've been getting called by a lot of police departments, fire departments, veteran's services, etc for donations the last few weeks. I've never had this before. And I hate having to tell them no, but frankly I don't have the funds to give money to every charity out there. I just ask if they have a website I can check out, then tell them I'll donate through that after I read the info.

When telemarketers ask for "the man of the house" like they sometimes do, I always thought it'd be funny to tell them "one moment while I go get him", then get my rooster, and let him talk with them. (brruk.. bucka bucka brrruuck... *crow*). However, I have not had any telemarketers call since I added my number to the National Do-Not-Call Registry. It really works!

I wish we had a Do Not Call Registry in Australia. I havegotten up to 15 telemarketing calls in one day, which gets really annoying when I'm trying to work from home.

We're not on the do-not-call list because James likes wasting their time. If it's a live person and it's not a charity, he'll chat with them for a while about nothing. Sometimes he pretends to speak another language. Time is money, and he likes to waste theirs.

:laugh:

naturestee wrote:
We're not on the do-not-call list because James likes wasting their time. If it's a live person and it's not a charity, he'll chat with them for a while about nothing. Sometimes he pretends to speak another language. Time is money, and he likes to waste theirs.

LOL! Sometimes I feel a bit cheeky and repeat what they say until they hang up. That's only if they're trying to sell me something, I'd never do that to a charity.

Lol I use to be a telemarketer as I thought maybe it would make me come out of my shell, as I am a very shy person. So talking to people on the phone would make me become more open. In fact it did work. I couldnt stick the job that long though as I myself hate tele sales people calling me up. I only stuck it as long as I did because I got £7-£10 an hour, but now I wonder why. I dont know how many people CAN stick that job.

The more sales you made, the more money an hour you would get.

It was actually really suprising how many people actually do take on with the things we are trying to sell them. It made me feel like sayin "no! dont really. you will regret even listening to me!" But ofcourse if I said that I would of got the sack. But I am glad I left that place.

We just had to read off a computer screen so anybody could do the job.

naturestee wrote:
I got the biggest kick out of letting them talk to my 3 year old daughter (supervised of course!).

or....

Ask them to hold on, put the phone down, and then go watch the football game or something. If you come back a few minutes later they've usually hung up, if not just tell them to keep holding, put the phone back down, and go watch the rest of the game.

And why do all the guys (no gals)calling for "law enforcement" sound like they could be from the Soprano's?

I worked as a telemarketer for one shift - they were smoking in the office and I couldn't take it. I'm in WI and we were caling for the Texas State Patrol. It was weird. But we had a script and all. I think I got one donation.

I have little patience for telemarketers. Esp. the ones who simply keep saying 'well, let me tell you about...' after you tell them you're not interested. Usually I tell them the person they are asking for isn't home, or I'm under 18 or some crap.

I like the dnc list. it's lovely.

Greta wrote:They ask for 'the man of the house'? Really? That would be enough to make me hang up right there! Are they only interested in taking your money if you're male??! I can't believe that in this day and age...
When telemarketers ask for "the man of the house" like they sometimes do,

Latest posts

Back