teeth grinding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

childemains

Reaction score
hi guys!! my bunny has been grinding his teeth loudly, not the usual purring when we we pet him. he’s acting normally, peeing and pooping, drinking all his water. he only likes eating his treats and some of his greens right now. refuses his pellets. and he’s jumping/running around the house as usual. should i be concerned? i called his vet and they said they don’t have any openings until tomorrow :(

[as some history context, i took him to the vet for GI stasis about two weeks ago and had his vet look at his teeth because he was grinding them when he was sick and his vet said his teeth were fine. he was just grinding cause he was in ill]

If he's still eating something and behaving normally, it's not likely to be GI stasis. But if he's selectively eating where he will only eat certain of his usual foods and doesn't go back to eating his other foods right away, then it could be he is developing a dental problem.

Sometimes dental issues can be missed in a normal exam because the back teeth can be hard to get a good look at. It would take your rabbit being sedated to get a good look at the back teeth. Or it could be something like a tooth infection that may only show up on xrays. Or it could be something as simple as hay stuck in his teeth.

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/dental.html
Is he still eating hay normally, and do you free feed a grass hay(unlimited) like timothy hay?

If he's still eating something and behaving normally, it's not likely to be GI stasis. But if he's selectively eating where he will only eat certain of his usual foods and doesn't go back to eating his other foods right away, then it could be he is developing a dental problem.

Sometimes dental issues can be missed in a normal exam because the back teeth can be hard to get a good look at. It would take your rabbit being sedated to get a good look at the back teeth. Or it could be something like a tooth infection that may only show up on xrays. Or it could be something as simple as hay stuck in his teeth.

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/dental.html
Is he still eating hay normally, and do you free feed a grass hay(unlimited) like timothy hay?

thank you for replying! so i should not be concerned if he goes back to eating all his foods normally? i’ll be sure to mention possible dental issues to his vet tomorrow.

If a rabbit is grinding their teeth because of severe pain, they will almost always stop eating and/or show other changes of behavior like lethargy. But they will sometimes do a grinding motion if they're having dental issues that isn't causing excessive pain, so is only affecting certain things they eat that causes more pain, but only when chewing those certain foods.

It's possible there's something else going on, but this would be the most common explanation for the symptoms you describe.

Bot my buns have two distinct "purrs". One is a slower, louder teeth click and the other is the faster "buzzing". Maybe you're just noticing a different buzz or purr?

hmm, that’s what my friends and family thought at first but i’ve had my bun for 6 years. he purrs quietly when i pet him but today it was very loud, even my dad noticed. i’m taking it as a sign of pain or discomfort so i’ll be taking him to the vet tomorrow just to be safe

Latest posts

Back