Teeth grinding but not pain?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A & B

Reaction score
I just had a bonding session and Lola flopped down and relaxed (for the first time!!!) but while she was getting comfortable, I heard her grind her teeth. I googled it because I know teeth grinding isn't ever good, and it said that they are reluctant to eat, are in pain, and a whole ton of other things. She isn't any of those things. During this session, she grunted a lot and I think Bugs was threatening her. Could her teeth grinding be disapproval or something else she is doing to tell him to leave her alone?

Bunnies will occasionally grind or chatter their teeth and it's a normal thing. It can happen when they are relaxed, when they are getting nose rubs, or even just an odd occurrence of them rubbing their teeth together but it doesn't last long.

When grinding their teeth is due to pain you will also see other signs of pain accompany it, like not eating, staying hunched in a ball, hanging their paws in the water, trembling, not being able to relax and frequently changing position due to severe discomfort, squinting the eyes. They may also do it if stressed. The teeth grinding due to pain or stress is usually much more pronounced, harder, louder, and lasts longer.

I would think she was doing it as an odd occurrence of rubbing her teeth together or feeling a little stressed about the bonding.

Latest posts

Back