Teeth filing concern for my rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blaise

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

My name is Rishi. I have a pet rabbit named Blaise. He is close to 6 years old, 2.5 lbs, and a netherland dwarf breed. In the last 6 months he has had 3 episodes of stasis in august, september, and end of january. Each of those times he completely stopped eating, going to the bathroom, and it was like his system was shutting down. We took him to the vet each time and he was treated with gut motility drugs cisapride and metoclopramide, metacam for pain, simethicone for gas, fluid therapy, and critical care recovery food. We have made adjustments to his diet by cutting out pellets and treats, giving him more fresh greens, and western timothy hay. Now his diet consists of fresh greens such as mint, cilantro, dandelion, and western timothy and oat hay as well as occasional pieces of banana and oxbow digestive support tablets. We have also been feeding him critical care as needed. My concern is that his vet last time mentioned that his molars looked kind of sharp and pointy and that down the line they may need to get them filed. I have also noticed Blaise grind his teeth often and he seems down from time to time. He is still interested in eating and is playful sometimes but I notice that he paws at his mouth when he eats and I'm worried that his teeth are bothering him. We have an appointment scheduled for him tomorrow morning to get his teeth filed. But, I am worried and nervous about him going under anesthesia and possible complications. I have read that some bunnies don't make it after this procedure due to anesthesia. I talked to the technician at the vets office and she said they give isoflurane gas anesthesia, meloxicam injection for pain, and midazolam and butorphenol for sedation to rabbits for this procedure. She did mention that there is always risk involved with small animals. I don't want Blaise to be in pain and have to undergo stasis so many times. But I am also nervous about having him go through this procedure. At this time particular clinic, I have been told that they will file and not clip the teeth. I would greatly appreciate any of your input and experiences with going through this procedure. Thank you!

Burring or filing is the preferred method of trimming a rabbits teeth, because clipping can sometimes cause microfractures in the teeth, so it's good your vet is filing and not clipping the teeth.

Usually there will be no complications with the anesthesia, but of course there is always some risk. It sounds to me as if your bun does really need to get his teeth trimmed though, so it's something that is a necessity. And better to do it now before he stops eating altogether and it makes it more complicated. You may also find that the stasis episodes also stop, as they may have been related to his dental issues.

eta: If you are really concerned about the anesthesia, it's always best to have a blood test done first to make sure there are no underlying health problems that might affect your buns ability to handle being put under for the dental procedure.

Thank you so much for your replies!

Wow Nancy! That must have been tough to have gone through it so often. It makes me feel sad that buns are so susceptible to teeth issues. How often in your experience did it take for Stewart to be feeling back to normal? I'm just curious did his vet usually send him home with antibiotics afterwards in case of an infection? I'm just thinking that there could be a chance of infection during such a procedure.

Hi JBun! Thank you for your reply! I do want to address this problem soon as I am scared of Blaise developing bigger issues such as abscesses if left untreated. I just feel helpless at the thought of him undergoing anesthesia and him not responding well to it. I guess I just have to keep positive thoughts and tell myself that it hopefully make him feel better and relieve him of pain and future stasis episodes.

I think one of the main things with aneasthetic is sometimes they might not eat afterwards, so it sounds like you already have things on hand like critical care and syringes to give him fluids and a bit of food if he doesn't eat afterwards.

I think its good that you are getting it done as soon as possible.

My girl a few months ago started having tooth issues too! She now has to be anesthetized and filed every month forever- and she does great! It's a great time to trim nails and brush any stubborn animals too!

Like everyone else said, there is indeed a risk, but it's not extremely high.

Latest posts

Back