Teeth Extractions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Howard cordingley

Reaction score
Hi Folks.
My rabbit who is 10 has a diet of soft pellets due to dental problems. My regular vet is off long term sick who used to file his teeth down every 6 weeks. I took him to pets at home vet who said she was shocked at how his back teeth were growing sideways in his mouth. She recommended metacam daily and strangely Calpol 6 but I am giving him metcam which seems to be working. He is healthy however in all other aspects. She was trying to get me to put him to sleep I felt! Reading about Metacam many other rabbits have had this long term and had good quality of life. I just wondered if others have had this dilemma?sorry for long post. Ps pic is of Jasper in his tent.

Attachments

• 97557A59-C658-415E-A73C-203796CFA7A0.jpeg
    97557A59-C658-415E-A73C-203796CFA7A0.jpeg
    200.6 KB · Views: 3
Not with dental problems, but an old rabbit that had spinal degeneration and arthritis. She was on a twice daily dose of meloxicam, and though she did lose use of her hind legs, I could tell the meloxicam definitely helped reduce her pain and discomfort. Because when she didn't get it she was much less perky and mobile, and was more lethargic. The meloxicam helped keep her happy and comfortable until she passed. There is a possible risk of it causing kidney issues, but I felt it was a necessary risk to help ensure her quality of life and give her a little more time to get her treats and snuggle with her friend. I think she was on it for about 9 months.

Not with dental problems, but an old rabbit that had spinal degeneration and arthritis. She was on a twice daily dose of meloxicam, and though she did lose use of her hind legs, I could tell the meloxicam definitely helped reduce her pain and discomfort. Because when she didn't get it she was much less perky and mobile, and was more lethargic. The meloxicam helped keep her happy and comfortable until she passed. There is a possible risk of it causing kidney issues, but I felt it was a necessary risk to help ensure her quality of life and give her a little more time to get her treats and snuggle with her friend. I think she was on it for about 9 months.
That’s good to hear that it helped your rabbit I agree that if it helps relieve any pain and quality of life is still there then the rabbit has a right to live. Vets don’t know our pets like we do they make their decision based on fact and guidance. How old was your rabbit?

I had a rabbit with teeth problems that died at the age of 12. I was his foster mom, so the decision of putting him to sleep was decided by the no-kill rescue and the vet. The vet said that as long as he was eating, he had some quality of life and should be kept alive, and the rescue agreed. If the rabbit could talk, I think he would have wanted to go to the rainbow bridge at the age of 10. I believe he spent the last two years of his life in pain. His personality changed. He spent most of his time hiding and not interacting with anyone. He hated being fed with a syringe, but I did that a lot. He was on Metacam, but it didn't seem to help. You will know when it is time for your rabbit to go. It doesn't look like Jasper is ready to go yet.

I had a rabbit with teeth problems that died at the age of 12. I was his foster mom, so the decision of putting him to sleep was decided by the no-kill rescue and the vet. The vet said that as long as he was eating, he had some quality of life and should be kept alive, and the rescue agreed. If the rabbit could talk, I think he would have wanted to go to the rainbow bridge at the age of 10. I believe he spent the last two years of his life in pain. His personality changed. He spent most of his time hiding and not interacting with anyone. He hated being fed with a syringe, but I did that a lot. He was on Metacam, but it didn't seem to help. You will know when it is time for your rabbit to go. It doesn't look like Jasper is ready to go yet.
That’s good to read this and 12 is a good age. I understand you fully and agree we know when it’s time to let go! Yes he’s active and loves running around the room and lots of stroking. I will keep you posted from the vet visit on Friday

Yes £150 depending on how much time involved and if he don’t pull through the anethetic keeping him in £50 overnight. My last vet only charges £50 for treatment which is why I was surprised at cost.

Yes £150 depending on how much time involved and if he don’t pull through the anethetic keeping him in £50 overnight. My last vet only charges £50 for treatment which is why I was surprised at cost.
But he will be in very good hands... Not sure I would trust a vet charging £50 to be honest. Did they say he just needs spurs removed?

But he will be in very good hands... Not sure I would trust a vet charging £50 to be honest. Did they say he just needs spurs removed?
She said they were dealing with the Spurs pressing his cheeks. Yes you could be right about the cheap vet. I’m picking him up later so hopefully he will be in less pain.

A rabbit doesn't need to be sedated if is just the front teeth only. My rabbit with spurs would get his teeth taken care of every 3 or 4 months under sedation. I am happy your little guy is getting such good care. You are a good rabbit Mom.

Hi Everyone
Thank you for your replies last week regarding the dental ethics of treatment for rabbits. Jasper who had his pic took today is like a new bunny since his teeth burring last week by Sarah Pellet at Animates Bourne. She did a fantastic job and his teeth were bad due to his 10 years ok age. Pets at home vet thought it not ethical but he’s had this treatment regularly this year. But he has a good quality of life. As you see he’s busy with his scent glands.

Attachments

• 62214B01-759B-4685-8D7F-CE53C05BFF08.jpeg
    62214B01-759B-4685-8D7F-CE53C05BFF08.jpeg
    88 KB · Views: 4
That's great! I'm glad you were given the recommendation and it turned out so well. Always nice to have a happy bun :)

I'm going ahead and merging this thread with your previous one. It's best to keep related postings together for continuity, and so others can more easily see the results from your inquiry.

That's great! I'm glad you were given the recommendation and it turned out so well. Always nice to have a happy bun :)

I'm going ahead and merging this thread with your previous one. It's best to keep related postings together for continuity, and so others can more easily see the results from your inquiry.
Thank you yes I think it’s better merged thanks again

Latest posts

Back