Teddy isn't eating 😟

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, those are the correct gas drops. You can give her 1-2 ml every hour for 3 hours, and then 1-2 ml every 3-8 hours or as needed. If she doesn't start getting better after the 3rd dose I suggest taking her to the vet.

Last edited:
Does anyone have any tips on feeding the gas drops. She hates it, and she doesn't stay still. What to do??

I would ask @Mariam+Theo, but just hold her firmly and gently push the dropper inside her mouth, then let her swallow. You could cover her eyes so she's less stressed. It probably would be easier if you asked a family member to hold her and then you could insert the gas drops.

Would it be a good idea to give her alfalfa hay, since she is looking alittle skinny.

Yes, I'm pretty sure you can, but not too much water. Maybe a small bowl and then you can give it to Teddy?

If your rabbit is eating her pellets and veggies normally and just won't eat her hay, it's doubtful the problem is gas, which means gas drops are not going to help correct the problem.

When a rabbit used to be eating all their food normally but then suddenly starts selectively eating(will eat some foods normally like pellets and veggies, but stops eating another food like hay), this is most often either caused by a dental problem or a problem with the food(the one they won't eat).

If it is a new bag or bale of hay that was started when your rabbit decided to stop eating it, then it very likely is a problem with the hay. Either the new batch tastes different and your rabbit doesn't like it, or there is something wrong with the hay itself like having gone moldy(which is dangerous for them to eat) or sometimes hay growers will spray hay with things that might change the taste.

If it's not a new bag/batch of hay but the same you've been feeding for a while, if you live in a humid climate it could possibly have started going moldy(sour musty smell, white dust, black or white spots). But if it hasn't gone bad then you are probably looking at a dental issue like molar spurs.

Rabbits teeth always grow. Eating abrasive food(primarily hay) is the process that helps keep the teeth ground down so sharp points don't form on the molars. But sometimes a rabbit won't have enough or the right kind of abrasive food in it's diet, or a rabbit has a genetic or acquired malocclusion that causes the teeth to not wear down normally. This can result in sharp points on the molars(sometimes overgrown incisors) that then dig into the rabbits tongue and cheeks causing sores/ulcers.

A rabbit will begin to selectively eat when it has dental problems because certain foods will hurt more to eat than others. Hay requires a different chewing motion for rabbits to eat than pellets or veggies. So your rabbit is likely choosing to eat these because they don't hurt as much to chew.

So if it's not a problem with the hay but is a dental problem, this means a visit to an experienced rabbit vet for a dental check. And if a problem is found, an appointment for your rabbit to be sedated and the teeth filed/burred down. In the meantime, if your rabbit is eating pellets and you are limiting the amount your rabbit gets, I would increase the amount so your rabbit is getting an adequate amount of food each day and not starving. I would also increase veggie amounts. If your rabbit isn't eating pellets very well, sometimes soaking them in warm water to make a pellet mush can help them be able to eat more. Though if you do this it needs to be made up fresh and not left out too long as it can start to go bad.
Medirabbit (malocclusion in rabbits)
MediRabbit (dental problems in rabbits)
https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

Yeah, now that I think about it, it could very well be a dental problem. Teddy is eating pellets and veggies, after all. I would check your hay and then go to the vet! I hope she gets better :)

I live pretty far from everything, so it's extremely hard to find the right rabbit vet. How should I find one. They have a vet downtown, but they specialize in dogs and cats. But it also takes in rabbits. I don't know how to find the right vet 😭

Didn't you say you were going to the vet in 3 days?

I just looked up rabbit vets in PA, found some options

1. https://healingcreatures.com/ (This one seems to be the best, one vet specializes in rabbits)
2. Animal Hospital - Blue Bell, PA - Compassion Veterinary Clinic (Pretty good)
3. Pleasant View Veterinary Clinic, LLC | Your local veterinarian in Lewistown and Mifflintown, Pleasant View Veterinary (Looks okay, they seem to treat tons of animals)

It says you live in Tobyhanna, and the first option is about a 2 hour drive, really not that long

If your rabbit is eating her pellets and veggies normally and just won't eat her hay, it's doubtful the problem is gas, which means gas drops are not going to help correct the problem.

When a rabbit used to be eating all their food normally but then suddenly starts selectively eating(will eat some foods normally like pellets and veggies, but stops eating another food like hay), this is most often either caused by a dental problem or a problem with the food(the one they won't eat).

If it is a new bag or bale of hay that was started when your rabbit decided to stop eating it, then it very likely is a problem with the hay. Either the new batch tastes different and your rabbit doesn't like it, or there is something wrong with the hay itself like having gone moldy(which is dangerous for them to eat) or sometimes hay growers will spray hay with things that might change the taste.

If it's not a new bag/batch of hay but the same you've been feeding for a while, if you live in a humid climate it could possibly have started going moldy(sour musty smell, white dust, black or white spots). But if it hasn't gone bad then you are probably looking at a dental issue like molar spurs.

Rabbits teeth always grow. Eating abrasive food(primarily hay) is the process that helps keep the teeth ground down so sharp points don't form on the molars. But sometimes a rabbit won't have enough or the right kind of abrasive food in it's diet, or a rabbit has a genetic or acquired malocclusion that causes the teeth to not wear down normally. This can result in sharp points on the molars(sometimes overgrown incisors) that then dig into the rabbits tongue and cheeks causing sores/ulcers.

A rabbit will begin to selectively eat when it has dental problems because certain foods will hurt more to eat than others. Hay requires a different chewing motion for rabbits to eat than pellets or veggies. So your rabbit is likely choosing to eat these because they don't hurt as much to chew.

So if it's not a problem with the hay but is a dental problem, this means a visit to an experienced rabbit vet for a dental check. And if a problem is found, an appointment for your rabbit to be sedated and the teeth filed/burred down. In the meantime, if your rabbit is eating pellets and you are limiting the amount your rabbit gets, I would increase the amount so your rabbit is getting an adequate amount of food each day and not starving. I would also increase veggie amounts. If your rabbit isn't eating pellets very well, sometimes soaking them in warm water to make a pellet mush can help them be able to eat more. Though if you do this it needs to be made up fresh and not left out too long as it can start to go bad.
Medirabbit (malocclusion in rabbits)
MediRabbit (dental problems in rabbits)
https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

Do rabbits sneeze when they have dental problem, she has been sneezing a bit

They can. If she's drinking more because she's hungry from not being able to eat hay, some rabbits will sneeze after they drink from getting water in their nose. Or possibly from drooling from dental related problems. It can also happen if there is a dental infection that has spread to the nasal cavity.

If it's a dental problem, there's no other way to correct it besides seeing a vet. Even if you have to travel an hour or two to get to one, I'm afraid it's going to be necessary or it will just get to the point your rabbit won't be able to eat at all. If it's a dental problem. If there's any chance it's a problem with the hay, I would explore that possibility first by getting a completely new bag that is from a different hay batch(should be a number on the bag to identify the batch. Then if your rabbit still won't eat the new hay, it's a good bet it's dental related.

Is your rabbit eating pellets and veggies normally without any problems? Do you normally limit the amount of pellets each day, and if so, had you increased the amount at all since your rabbit stopped eating hay?

Latest posts

Back