Technique for nail clipping

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katie94

Reaction score
Hi everyone I just wanted to share a technique I used for clipping my bunnies nails as I’ve never been able to do it myself in the two years I’ve had them and I know other owners struggle with this.

I made a small square out of some spare grid pieces which I use for my enclosures (pic attached) and carefully placed it around my bunny to keep them secure without having to physically restrain. Once they were in this space I held the square in place with my feet (they were very determined to get out!) I was then able to reach in and pick up there feet to do the nail trim. There was a little bit of resistance so I had to try a couple of times and was patient and when they realised they couldn’t get away they relaxed and let me get on with it.

Just wanted to share in case this helped anyone else. I was able to do this on my own so handy if you don’t have another person present as I can’t hold and clip at the same time. My bunnies are not afraid to commit suicide off a table if it means not having their nails trimmed 🙈

Attachments

• 1D80FC85-7E17-4A31-8D81-5DB43B7A8F98.jpeg
    1D80FC85-7E17-4A31-8D81-5DB43B7A8F98.jpeg
    263.6 KB · Views: 23
That is an interesting technique!
Glad to know that you've finally managed somehow!

I will have to try this with Echo! I usually cut 1-2 nails at a time with him because he won’t stay still any longer. It takes me so long to get them all cut over a few weeks that by the time I do, I have to cut the first ones again! It’s a never ending process unfortunately. I think this may be just what I need to try :)

Yes this might work really well for you as well. Until I tried this I couldn’t do them at all and spent forever googling what to do but nothing worked for me. I couldn’t keep them held still long enough. I had to take them to the vet nurse which is fine but obviously during COVID lockdown this wasn’t possible and it’s also quite stressful for them so knew it would be better if I could do it at home.

I’ve used lace around the paw to get the nails away from the fur and that works ok but my bun still struggles! I will definitely use this technique!

*New upgrade*

I discovered a new and improved device as was still struggling a bit with my boys wriggling too much.
I created a raised wire platform to sit them in and then not only does this keep them calmer the wire pushes the fur away from the nail so I can clearly see what I am doing. I was clipping away and my bunnies were hardly reacting! I left one panel out of the bottom so I can reach under and cabled tied everything together for extra strength worked an absolute charm!

Attachments

• 8A9BA85C-C042-4B13-9042-EAB47A1F720B.jpeg
    8A9BA85C-C042-4B13-9042-EAB47A1F720B.jpeg
    242.8 KB · Views: 5
Sorry should also say that the wire they are sat on the gaps are not as large the squares they are much narrower.

Attachments

• 2810EDEE-6B32-49BD-94F0-F00B6FFFD903.jpeg
    2810EDEE-6B32-49BD-94F0-F00B6FFFD903.jpeg
    314.6 KB · Views: 4
Hi everyone I just wanted to share a technique I used for clipping my bunnies nails as I’ve never been able to do it myself in the two years I’ve had them and I know other owners struggle with this.

I made a small square out of some spare grid pieces which I use for my enclosures (pic attached) and carefully placed it around my bunny to keep them secure without having to physically restrain. Once they were in this space I held the square in place with my feet (they were very determined to get out!) I was then able to reach in and pick up there feet to do the nail trim. There was a little bit of resistance so I had to try a couple of times and was patient and when they realised they couldn’t get away they relaxed and let me get on with it.

Just wanted to share in case this helped anyone else. I was able to do this on my own so handy if you don’t have another person present as I can’t hold and clip at the same time. My bunnies are not afraid to commit suicide off a table if it means not having their nails trimmed 🙈
I put a blanket on my lap and let my bunny stay on it while cutting his nails. Best to pet him before u start cutting it

Latest posts

Back