Teary eye

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nova and Era

Reaction score
Hi,

I currently have two rabbits but I am looking to adopt a rabbit that has teary/weepy/runny eye that is induced by being allergic to shavings.

I am comfortable taking on an older rabbit (she is 4 years old) and she has been listed as a lionhead (long haired). Other than that I know that the teary eye is being well looked after and she is an enclosure with no shavings.

What I would like to know is what I should be aware of concerning this medical condition. I want to be a well prepared rabbit owner. I do know that there will be increased medical expenses to make sure the adopted rabbit remains healthy. My other two rabbits have not had any issues with teary eyes so this will be a new experience for me.

Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

I agree. Alot of times tooth root problems/dental disease can cause this as well as a respiratory infectoin like Pasturella. If you're positive it is neither of those, then you can ust be sure to keep up with regular wiping of the eyes and if the skin gets irritated under the eyes, you may want to try warm compresses.

Thank you both for the replies.

Since adopting the new rabbit she's been doing well. Her eye's haven't been tearing and she's been adjusting well to her new life. She doesn't always like being handled but she's quiet use to it, so I'm grateful that the shelter took care of her. I got her from a city shelter and I have a record of her medical treatment even though it wasn't something they were initially going to give me. Upon request, and because there was no private information they gave it to me.

I've been watching both of her eyes very closely, and even feeling around the eyes to make sure there is no moisture. So right now, it appears she is okay. She just needed some of her fur cleaned up when i got her because some strands had matted together when I got her. She's a very sweet mannered girl. It's sad to know that she was found in a field and spent a year in a shelter. I am, however, glad that she's home with me now.

Latest posts

Back