Tear duct infection

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ANCA_R

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My lovely bunny Snowball had an infected tooth root that was extracted in October. He had mild rhinitis because of that but it was easily treated with antibiotics. Since last week he had a runny eye (same side as the removed tooth), with milky appearance. The vet flushed the tear duct and indeed, a whiteish liquid came out. He got gentamycin-containing eye drops but his situation didn't improve, and he now got Baytril. Otherwise he eats a lot, is active and acts totally normal. He really doesn't seem to have pain. Is it common that the tear duct becomes infected after tooth extraction? Or can it be that he has another infected tooth root, or even worse that the infection spread to his jaw? He got a bit better after Baytril (it's been only 24h since the first dosis) but I'm very concerned about the sweet little guy.

I would appreciate any similar story or advice.
Thanks a lot,
Anca

I’m sorry I don’t know if I’ll be much help but what kind of rabbit is he? I’ve heard some breeds just are more prone to tear duct issues

Thanks a lot for your reply! My bunny is a lop, and I also heard that they are more prone to tear duct infections. I don't know how to distingush it from an infected tooth root, which would be more difficult to treat... I suppose only X rays can tell. He really acts normal, and is even more active than before.
This is my sweet little guy:
77331148_2736932686337316_2648624787194118144_n.jpg

He is super adorable!! My netherland dwarf is also more prone to infections. Ice read something about being able to tell by kinda massaging the area underneath his eye where the tooth would potentially meet the tear duct area. You’d have to look more into that to get more accurate info but like you said Xrays are your best bet. Hopefully it is only a slight infection like mine had. Eye drops for 10 days cleared my boy up fast! Goodluck!

Latest posts

Back