Tear duct flushing and cleaning face

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Popsicles

Reaction score
My 9 year old lionhead cross has chronic inflammation of the tear ducts, resolves really well with regular flushing but in between times she does get some leaking of tears. It wouldn’t be a problem except because she has super fluffy cheeks she gets very sticky with the salt drying from the tears and I’m constantly having to either brush her cheeks or pick out the worst bits. There’s no need for any barrier cream as she is so fluffy that the tears don’t manage to get to her skin so no soreness there at all. Just wondered if anyone has any tips of easier ways to clean up her face? Or is this just my life from now on 😅
All the buns I see in practice with this have just been short haired so had more of an issue with hair loss and sore skin than just clumps of salty fur!
Also, anyone else with buns having regular tear duct flushing, how often do your vets recommend it done? Think I might need to up the frequency.

Is there any infection present? I've only had rabbits get the sticky crusty hard fur clumps in the corner of their eye, due to the pus from an eye or tear duct infection drying in the fur. Usually when it's tears and clear discharge, it just causes wet fur or slightly crusty fur, but not the sticky grainy stuff like with pus.

Only rabbit I had to do the tear duct flushing with, it was from a chronic infection. The flushing was done a couple of times, then managed with antibiotics and eye ointment/drops. The oral antibiotics were stopped, but she did have to remain on the antibiotic eye drops for the remainder of her life, about 6 months(she was 10 yr). As long as I applied those, the runny eye kept clear. She was also on daily meloxicam for her arthritis.

Nope no infection, the crustiness
Is just almost pure salt from the tears drying. The rare time I actually see it wet the tears are clear and runny, it’s just when it dries.
When the ducts are flushed the fluid comes through clear. The clumped areas are less by her eyes and more further down her cheeks where it gets fluffier. I’ll see if I can get a photo to show what I mean.

You could try rubbing something like coconut oil or olive oil into the fur there. That might keep the tears and salt from drying and clumping the fur, and make it easier to wipe or brush the salt residue out. It'll make the fur a little greasy, but it may be preferable. Maybe try and see if it helps or just makes it messy.

Latest posts

Back