Teaching rabbit to GENTLY take treats .... what's worked for others?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, I work with fostering & socializing rabbits for adoption. I am curious what others may have tried to get the rabbits to take hand fed treats gently. Most rabbits I have worked with have learned just by doing some of the obvious.... like saying "Easy" and putting my palm up to try to settle her excitement first....also palm feeding, but she is just so excited getting a treat, sometimes, the more I delay it, the more excited she gets & she isn't careful what she grabs. I fear if I use gloves, she will be even less careful of WHAT she is grabbing!

My rabbits are both generally calm when being given treats, but my advice would be to slowly move your hand with the treat backwards and pet your bunny while their snoot is following the treat. If they do it well and calm then give them pets if they don’t don’t, pet the bunny right after. Hope this helps :)

My rabbits are both generally calm when being given treats, but my advice would be to slowly move your hand with the treat backwards and pet your bunny while their snoot is following the treat. If they do it well and calm then give them pets if they don’t don’t, pet the bunny right after. Hope this helps :)
Worth a try . Maybe I will wear gloves , this could backfire lol . Thanks …. even with quite a bit of experience ….I always appreciate new ideas . Buns are all so different !!

We use a small dish for the treats, so there is no finger nibbling involved. I've also found that if I place my hand on the middle of their back it helps to calm them somewhat--but, I prefer using the small dish and they all know it's treat time anyway.

Latest posts

Back