Tattooing

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DharmaBuns

Reaction score
I just can NOT seem to be able to tattoo my rabbits. I wrap them up tight into a little bunny burrito but they ALWAYS seem to be able to squirm out! They also begin to shake their heads, even only a small amount, and it messes me up. I've tried it where my husband is holding the rabbit and I tattoo and where I hold it and he tattoos and we have yet to be able to come up with anything legible, lol. This past year we had to have someone fix one that I messed up really really badly just before the National show :p I would like to avoid that mess again so...does anyone have any tips on how to do it?

I suppose I should mention, I have the EZ-tatt pen tattoo.

I've noticed older rabbits are much harder to do. When I did my 6 week old babies though it was very easy. On two of mine that were really jumpy I did one letter/number each session over a few days.

I know how you feel! mine used to do that all the time -_-
I found that numbing the ear with ice works well ;)

I just have my daughter hold them and then I write away. I've been using a pen, but I think I'm going to buy the small clamp and extra numbers/letters. It might just be my ink, but all the Cal babies I did a few weeks ago are now just scratches in the ear...no ink in them. :(

When we had Cals we had to use the clamp because that's all the Ag teacher had. It actually works very well because it does it quick and all at once, but, boy,some of them squealed! We have a tattoo pen for our rabbits now. We wrap them up to their chin in the burrito and I holdthe head and bodywhile my daughter does the tattoo. It seems to work very well.

For our tans we have to use the burrito wrap! They are so bad about moving. I have to tattoo a tan litter soon so Ill take pictures for you on how I wrap them! When you tattoo try not to rest your hand on them. Tans jump alot and they always mess me up when Im being lazy lol.

And Im not sure what it feels like Ive never tried it on myself lol. Its the same thing though. The pen tattoos are small needles powered by a motor so I would think it feels the same and like with people different ones have a higher tolerance than others.

woahlookitsme wrote:
For our tans we have to use the burrito wrap! They are so bad about moving. I have to tattoo a tan litter soon so Ill take pictures for you on how I wrap them! When you tattoo try not to rest your hand on them. Tans jump alot and they always mess me up when Im being lazy lol.

And Im not sure what it feels like Ive never tried it on myself lol. Its the same thing though. The pen tattoos are small needles powered by a motor so I would think it feels the same and like with people different ones have a higher tolerance than others.
Oh yes! Pleaseplease show me your Tan bunny burrito technique. :)

Okay here is my burrito technique as promised :)

The set up
102_0714.jpg

The beautiful model Tina
102_0715.jpg

The bunny burrito This wrap REALLY comes in handy
102_0718.jpg

102_0719.jpg

My mom likes to hold over the hips with one hand and cover the face with the other
102_0720.jpg

I use my left hand to support the back of the ear and make it a hard flat surface to tattoo on
102_0721.jpg

A blurry tattooing pic
102_0726.jpg

I try my hardest not the rest my arm on the bun because when they kick my lines go whoops
102_0728.jpg

The finished product
102_0716.jpg

WOW! Where do you get one of these burritos?!? That looks like exactly what I need to get. I try to wrap them in towels and they just always manage to squirm out of them.

I managed to get a few tattoos done last week after taking your advice and making sure that I was NOT resting my hand on the ear.

I use one of those raps. I got it on bunnyrabbit.com (GREAT sight!!!!!!!!!!!!) I also numb the ear with (i beleave) novocaine. It works WONDERS!!!! Apply it to the tattoo sight a couple of minutes before you do the tattoo. Here is a link to the tattoo wrap. https://www.bunnyrabbit.com/brcom.html. Also your ink goes bad after 1 year (sometimes less). I replace ink each year.

Latest posts

Back