Taking rabbits out in public

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello!

I'm new to this site.

(As of now it is not letting me upload pics..been trying and trying. Driving me nuts)

I just adopted a lionhead from a family looking for a good home. Shes was very skiddish. Weve had her about 3 weeks now and shes opened up very nicely!

I'm in love with her already.

What advice do you guys have for taking a new bunny out. I'd love to but I dont want to freak her out as were trying to let her get used to our house and all of us. She comes to me pretty easily because I bond with her the most. But the others it depends.

I've wanted to take her out with me so bad but nervous about freaking her out and ruining all her progress.

What do you all think?

Hopefully can show pics soon!!

Hello!

I'm new to this site.

(As of now it is not letting me upload pics..been trying and trying. Driving me nuts)

I just adopted a lionhead from a family looking for a good home. Shes was very skiddish. Weve had her about 3 weeks now and shes opened up very nicely!

I'm in love with her already.

What advice do you guys have for taking a new bunny out. I'd love to but I dont want to freak her out as were trying to let her get used to our house and all of us. She comes to me pretty easily because I bond with her the most. But the others it depends.

I've wanted to take her out with me so bad but nervous about freaking her out and ruining all her progress.

What do you all think?

Hopefully can show pics soon!!

You can start putting up a pen/run so your bun can get used with the sounds and smell outside.

When you have earned her trust, you can teach her to walk in harness. You start with harness practice indoors , when she’s used with it all. You start with leash training :)

But it’s important that you earn her trust. If you can’t set up a run for your bun outdoors. You can teach her indoors and take her out in a calm place or carry her around to get used with smell and sounds, so she won’t panic and get scared.

I have kids without tails, and with tails. They are my fur-babies and I love them all! So, you are not alone!!
:p:p:D:D;);)

I take two of mine outside, the other two get too scared and don't enjoy it. The harness is the scariest part. Also maybe don't take your bunny outside for the first time when the neighbors are mowing the lawn haahaa. At the park call out to the 20 kids to approach at a walk (because 20 kids running to see the bunny can also be scary) Lol my bunnies now pose for pictures with kids at the park they love it and pesticides are banned here so I don't have that to worry about at the park but you might 00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190515194940657_COVER.jpg 00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190515201125660_COVER.jpg

Thankyou all for the tips!

So I do have a harness for her... but as I'm trying to get her acquainted with everything ...I'm just so nervous to use it! Literally I'm the only one shes not skittish around! I dont think she was around many people at the house she was in... and they had to keep her separate because of the other animals they had. Which is why they wanted her in a better home. I'm a new bunny owner.. so I've been researching everything. They also only fed her pellets and hay. So I've been trying to introduce her to vegetables..have tried kale..spinach..carrots..basil... strawberries...banana..apple...she will not eat any of them! So I suppose I need to put that in another post. Lol.

So finally figured out pics. This whole time it was because I was using firefox as my main search engine.

Lol. Had no idea. Thakyou all!20190603_193037~2.jpg
Made her a bunny castle LOL

I’ve been trying to get our Rex used to the harness. I put it on indoors for about 5-10 minutes at a time about once a day when the house is calm. He’s definitely not a fan yet but I’m hoping he’ll get there

I’ve been trying to get our Rex used to the harness. I put it on indoors for about 5-10 minutes at a time about once a day when the house is calm. He’s definitely not a fan yet but I’m hoping he’ll get there

My bunnies don't really know they have a harness on and don't try take it off.

Harness come in handy to let your bunny run around but prevent them from hiding under cars or bushes. At a supercar meet, my netherland dwarf decided to hide under a koenigsegg. Car was so low, that bunny had to squat down to fit under there. But thankfully I had a harness so I just had to pull him out. And at malls, if the bunnies find a bush, they will go to it.

My bunnies don't really know they have a harness on and don't try take it off.

Harness come in handy to let your bunny run around but prevent them from hiding under cars or bushes. At a supercar meet, my netherland dwarf decided to hide under a koenigsegg. Car was so low, that bunny had to squat down to fit under there. But thankfully I had a harness so I just had to pull him out. And at malls, if the bunnies find a bush, they will go to it.

Do you mind me asking what harness you have? Mine definitely knows he has it on! Maybe it’s the wrong harness or maybe it’s him

Do you mind me asking what harness you have? Mine definitely knows he has it on! Maybe it’s the wrong harness or maybe it’s him

I don't know the exact brand. The smaller Neth Dwarf (left of avatar) wears a xtra small dog double looped harness. The bigger bunny (tan bunny in avatar) wears either the blue double looped harness or this vest thing that my mom got for our small dog.

But bunny's bodies aren't like dogs, so they can still slip out, so you only have so many chances to pull them back until the harness comes out. But it's alot better than having nothing. Just avoid something like hiking trails where it be a nightmare to find them. I only do urban areas like shopping centers, beach board walks, places with lots of people so if they do run you will like

You should use a chest harness or Y-harness for your bunnies. Rabbits won’t escape them and they make sure the pressure won’t be on the neck when they pull.

For my netherland dwarf bun, I had to order a harness specially made for him because he was tiny as a kit. Still small for an adult, the normal size of a kit little bit overweight.

The harness should strap around your bun, you should be able to fit 2 fingers between.

Some rabbits will need a bit encouragement to get used with the harness and others won’t even care about the harness. My own bunny, I had to handle with both.

You can start with harness training in a safe place and make sure to give a lot of treats. When your bun used with that or you have won it’s trust you can start with leash training.

IMG_5551.jpgIMG_5426.jpg
IMG_3884.jpg

So I'm about to try and get mrs bunny wailer used to hers.

I'm very nervous about it.

She HATES being picked up so far.

(She was adopted almost 4 weeks ago now.)

But I want to get her used to going out and stuff.

Do you ally him it's too soon to start getting her used to picking up and harness? I'm nervous to start.

Every morning she runs up to me and has to have her half hour or + morning run down and scratch lol. And follows me to make coffee and back. So shes definitely used to me. But everytime I've had to pick her up shell run from me for the next hour... hence while I'm nervous to start!!

So I'm about to try and get mrs bunny wailer used to hers.

I'm very nervous about it.

She HATES being picked up so far.

(She was adopted almost 4 weeks ago now.)

But I want to get her used to going out and stuff.

Do you ally him it's too soon to start getting her used to picking up and harness? I'm nervous to start.

Every morning she runs up to me and has to have her half hour or + morning run down and scratch lol. And follows me to make coffee and back. So shes definitely used to me. But everytime I've had to pick her up shell run from me for the next hour... hence while I'm nervous to start!!

Gosh holy spell check.
Sorry typing fast!
I meant do you think it's too early to start getting her used to a harness and picking up?

And meant morning rub down not run down. Although she does that too. Lol

For picking her up, try sitting down on the floor and waiting for her to come to you, then picking her up and holding her in your lap. Hold/pet her briefly and then let her go without ever standing up (heck, offer a treat while you hold her or right after you put her down). Assuming she lets you get her, it's a way to ease into the idea of being held/picked up. Another good tactic is to cuddle with her while her feet are on the ground - lay in bed or on the sofa with her, or sit on the couch/floor/bed with her up against your leg and pet her/hold her in place.

Our Harley Quinn loathed being picked up or held at first despite being an outgoing and friendly bunny. She's still not thrilled about being held or carried but tolerates it and has *really* come around on the snuggling as long as her feet are on the ground. Hubby and I have had seven rabbits over the years and they've all been pretty good snugglers if they're laying in bed watching TV with me (if I try to hold them in my arms/lap, some of them have been significantly less amenable to the idea).

For picking her up, try sitting down on the floor and waiting for her to come to you, then picking her up and holding her in your lap. Hold/pet her briefly and then let her go without ever standing up (heck, offer a treat while you hold her or right after you put her down). Assuming she lets you get her, it's a way to ease into the idea of being held/picked up. Another good tactic is to cuddle with her while her feet are on the ground - lay in bed or on the sofa with her, or sit on the couch/floor/bed with her up against your leg and pet her/hold her in place.

Our Harley Quinn loathed being picked up or held at first despite being an outgoing and friendly bunny. She's still not thrilled about being held or carried but tolerates it and has *really* come around on the snuggling as long as her feet are on the ground. Hubby and I have had seven rabbits over the years and they've all been pretty good snugglers if they're laying in bed watching TV with me (if I try to hold them in my arms/lap, some of them have been significantly less amenable to the idea).

Thankyou for the advice! That sounds helpful I'm definitely going to start trying.

She is constantly coming to me for rub downs and pets throughout the day but any motion of trying to pick up she is gone. Lol

But I will try the treat thing. Literally THE ONLY TREAT aka other food besides pellets and hay she will even though so far is raisins. She loves raisins. But being as though they arent very healthy I only give her about 2 a day. She WON'T touch ANYTHING ELSE. Spinach.kale..parsley..mint..basil..carrots..apple..banana.. I'm still trying more though.

But yes I will totally start doing this! Thanks!

Rupert Bunny has a Facebook page where some of his outside and public activities can be seen. He is the lead bunny of a warren of (11) bunny volunteers who visit care homes, hospices and other facilities, as well as going shopping and general visiting around. Rupert has volunteered for hundreds and hundreds of hours and interacted with 40,000+ people.

Rupert is our 4th house bunny and, like his therapy friends, prefers to ride in his basket while out visiting. Some of his bigger friends and couples like to ride in their strollers, but all are very sociable and love the attention. IME, it's all about feeling secure in the basket and the hoomins taking care about possible risks. A sturdy walking stick has been required in order to "reason" with a few undisciplined dogs, but that has been extremely rare over the 25 years in which we have been taking bunnies out in public.

Others have observed that one is not wise to be in a hurry to get things done when a bunny is in company. The smile which pops onto a small child's face when they are bored while shopping is amazing.

Literally THE ONLY TREAT aka other food besides pellets and hay she will even though so far is raisins. She loves raisins. But being as though they arent very healthy I only give her about 2 a day. She WON'T touch ANYTHING ELSE.

Man, she's a tougher nut to crack than Harley! I had to try a lot of fruits before I found treats she loved, but she's a good veggie eater. If you can't find a "treat" she cares for, then withhold a portion of her daily pellet ration to hand-feed as treats. Pellets are prized enough that you can use them as rewards (which is great when you're trying not to over-feed fruits and such).

Man, she's a tougher nut to crack than Harley! I had to try a lot of fruits before I found treats she loved, but she's a good veggie eater. If you can't find a "treat" she cares for, then withhold a portion of her daily pellet ration to hand-feed as treats. Pellets are prized enough that you can use them as rewards (which is great when you're trying not to over-feed fruits and such).

Hey!

Yes that's a good idea!
But what sucks is I mean literally ANYTHING other than pellets and hay... I've tried.. carrots.. lettuce.. spinach..kale..broccoli leaves.. basil..parsley..cauliflower leaves...banana..apple.
Blueberry..and probably a few others. she literally sniffs and hops away. I want her to be healthier and a veggie eater too! But she doesnt seem to like any of it.
She was adopted by us also..I found out shes about 9 months old now. And I dont think they fed her any veggies... so im not sure if that can be why.

I know were changing up original posters post so we can try to talk somewhere else? Not sure how we can do it. Lol. I'm new to this. But I've been trying to get all the bunny advice I can get as I'm also a new bunny owner.

Been researching stuff like crazy though!

Rupert Bunny has a Facebook page where some of his outside and public activities can be seen. He is the lead bunny of a warren of (11) bunny volunteers who visit care homes, hospices and other facilities, as well as going shopping and general visiting around. Rupert has volunteered for hundreds and hundreds of hours and interacted with 40,000+ people.

Rupert is our 4th house bunny and, like his therapy friends, prefers to ride in his basket while out visiting. Some of his bigger friends and couples like to ride in their strollers, but all are very sociable and love the attention. IME, it's all about feeling secure in the basket and the hoomins taking care about possible risks. A sturdy walking stick has been required in order to "reason" with a few undisciplined dogs, but that has been extremely rare over the 25 years in which we have been taking bunnies out in public.

Others have observed that one is not wise to be in a hurry to get things done when a bunny is in company. The smile which pops onto a small child's face when they are bored while shopping is amazing.

That sounds pretty awesome!

I know a lot of people have talked about bringing their bunnies in stores and what not but where I live... MD.. pets arent allowed in like...ANY stores or places really! Although I'd love to take her when and If I can get her used to being in her harness. We adopted her and shes been with us about a month now. Shes definitely getting comfortable. She even snuggles with me and likes kisses and playing. But picking up not so much so still giving her time. The only place around here I could take her is the pet places or stores but there are mostly dogs that go there and I'm not trying to freak her out!!

But that sounds cool what you guys do! I've never heard of anything like that here!

I also now have a pet backpack with wheels. So it goes on the back for maximum efficiency, or it can become a roller if carrying two bunnies becomes too heavy, or set on the ground.

It makes it much easier to take them out, so I don't have to hold them when I need to walk. And they have a safe enclosed space when traveling so I have a place to put them when my hands are full. Or if I need to enter a fast casual food place and I have a safe place for my bunnies to chill out rather than running around on the chairs / tables. Also great for the beach because I can keep them in my backpack until I feel its safe to let them out.

I thought about stroller, but I'm a guy and I think its just a bit weird to push around a stroller. Plus strollers take up space and aren't compact when you need to say go inside a crowded store. I much prefer the backpack, it kind of reminds me of Pokemon where trainers could have Pokemon hang out in their backpack.

Latest posts

Back