Taking rabbit home on weekends

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scubagirl68

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a University student and I have my ownapartment with a friend of mine. I have my rabbit at the apartment withme, but I bring it home with me on weekends. I bought 2 cages (one formy apartment, one for my other home) and I bring her in a carrier everyweekend. It's not a long drive (about 30 minutes) and I make sure thatshe's comfortable. Do you think that she will be alright/stress-freewith this arrangement? I'm hoping that she'll get used to it, and itwill become habitual. Any thoughts?

I think she should be fine, it probably will become a habit. It is certainly better than being left alone every weekend.

Bunnydude:cool:

i think that would be ok... i guess it dependson how your rabbits reacts to it.. some would probably mind it morethan others..peapoo for one likes riding in the car..she sits up inyour lap and looks around and out the windows and stuff...she alsotries to get down and explore under the seats and stuff

Pepper's the same way, he likes to put his pawson my chest and look around. He's even tried to climb on my shoulder,the dashboard, and the driver. Gaelyn doesnt handle car rides as well,she breathes hard, her nose/mouth get all wet, she clicks her teeth...poor girl.

I think it is best to keep her in a carrierwhile you are on the road. Put a blanket in there that she isused to and some hay to munch on. Just drive carefully andtalk to her on the way there and back.

I think it will be fine. She might bea bit stressed at first but it is surprising how quickly animals willsettle into a routine, I am sure she will get used to it.

I have found that if placed in a carrier,rabbits do better if there is a non-skid surface like a rubber mat inthere. It only takes the slightest G forces to make those furry pawsslide back and forth across the plastic bottomed carriers.

I also like to put some hay in there, along with a water bottle on longer trips.

When I sent Tank on her way, I put a layer oflitter on the bottom and a thick layer of hay on top of that.That way she could munch, snuggle into the hay, and the litter wouldabsorb her urine. She did end up kicking some of it out,though.

That's a good idea. Usually on the way to thevet, my bunnies will pee. That would solve that problem, though. And Ibet you could attach plexiglass on the very bottom of the door toprevent the litter from spilling out.

i had a question to add to this post, i have to go on a trip and im taking my dutch with me, its a longer trip so what i did was i got a big dog carrier, its about the size of his cage and im gonna put some food, water, his litter box, his bed from his cageand a blanket on the bottom of itand sit it in the back of my mustang(the seats fold down so he will have a hard flat service to sit on, do yall think this will be ok for him?

I'm sure he'll be fine with that set up. I would just make sure that the kennel can't slide around too much. I would also reccomend putting some hay in.

ya, im thinking about ducktaping it down, its or something lol, its big though so it might take up mu whole bakc seat. and for the hay im gonna get him some of the little hay blocks, least for when he is in the car,

Latest posts

Back