Taking in an unspayed female

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laurat

Reaction score
I’m adopting an unspayed female lop from my friend as she can no longer home her. She’s 11 months old and unspayed. I’m going to bond her with my boy Waffles (a neutered 4.5 month lop).
my question is- should I get her spayedstraight away and use her 6 week recovery as pre bonding time too? Or bond them first and then spay in 6 months or so once bonded? The cost of spaying is the issue but I will find it if that’s the better way around.

Attachments

• 6E2F83F6-51E4-44A1-AA82-00D3367AAADE.png
    6E2F83F6-51E4-44A1-AA82-00D3367AAADE.png
    915.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 51F21E33-AD44-4EF4-8697-5ABAC6559F9C.jpeg
    51F21E33-AD44-4EF4-8697-5ABAC6559F9C.jpeg
    155.8 KB · Views: 4
I’m adopting an unspayed female lop from my friend as she can no longer home her. She’s 11 months old and unspayed. I’m going to bond her with my boy Waffles (a neutered 4.5 month lop).
my question is- should I get her spayedstraight away and use her 6 week recovery as pre bonding time too? Or bond them first and then spay in 6 months or so once bonded? The cost of spaying is the issue but I will find it if that’s the better way around.
This is likely resolved, but I want to add my experience for future readers with the same question. I adopted an unspayed year old lop-eared rabbit a year ago. She bonded well with my year old neutered male. They had been living happily for the past year. I have no problems with the unspayed female: Litter trained fine, no spraying, no aggression, etc.

This is likely resolved, but I want to add my experience for future readers with the same question. I adopted an unspayed year old lop-eared rabbit a year ago. She bonded well with my year old neutered male. They had been living happily for the past year. I have no problems with the unspayed female: Litter trained fine, no spraying, no aggression, etc.
Yes. There are occasions when a particular intact female will bond with another rabbit. It isn't the norm but can occur. Generally though, bonds go easier & remain more stable when both buns are fixed.

I wanted to give an update on the post I made above about no issues with my bonded unspayed rabbit. I did start to notice some minor sporadic agression in my unspayed rabbit towards her bonded neutered male. After one long spell of minor agression coupled with a huge loss of previous good litter habbits, I had her spayed. All the agression and bad litter habbits ceased immediately and have not returned in the 6 months since the spay. Of course the spay has greatly reduced (eliminated?) the risk of uterine cancer. All in all in hindsite I should have had her spayed when I first rescued her, not a couple years later.

I wanted to give an update on the post I made above about no issues with my bonded unspayed rabbit. I did start to notice some minor sporadic agression in my unspayed rabbit towards her bonded neutered male. After one long spell of minor agression coupled with a huge loss of previous good litter habbits, I had her spayed. All the agression and bad litter habbits ceased immediately and have not returned in the 6 months since the spay. Of course the spay has greatly reduced (eliminated?) the risk of uterine cancer. All in all in hindsite I should have had her spayed when I first rescued her, not a couple years later.
Thank you for taking the time to provide an update! Very helpful.

Latest posts

Back