Tail Injury/Chewing

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dark_Sama

Reaction score
I got home from work today and the first thing i noticed was that my little Calcifer had a red spot on the tip of his tail. I immediately cleaned it off with a bit of warm water to see what it was; he has a wound on the end on his tail! It wasn't deep or bleeding though, and he didn't seem to care at all if I touched it, so I didn't worry overly much. However, just now I saw him chewing on it! D:
I stopped him from doing so, but now I'm wondering if that might be the cause of his wound.
Does anyone know what might be causing him to chew on his tail so much that it gets wounded? :(

His tail or the area around his tail may be bothering him...either painful or feeling 'different' to him. Have you tried feeling his tail for any bumps, which may indicate a broken tail?

His tail or the area around his tail may be bothering him...either painful or feeling 'different' to him. Have you tried feeling his tail for any bumps, which may indicate a broken tail?

I checked; there's nothing there that feels out of the oridnary. And I've been making sure to keep his area nice and clean (cleaning it daily, making sure that all the litterboxes are scrubbed clean as well so he's not standing in his business) to avoid any problems too. He wasn't chewing on it today though...So I think that's a good sign.

I agree that there may be something painful or uncomfortable causing the behavior(eg. arthritis, injury, parasites, skin issue, neurological issue). If it continues, if the wound is deep, if infection develops, and/or if there is bone exposed, he will need to be seen by a rabbit vet. You will need to keep a close eye on it and inspect the area closely for signs of infection of further chewing.
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Mechanical/Mutilation/Selfmutilation.htm

Latest posts

Back