Taffy and GI Stasis

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunnylova4eva

Reaction score
I've been checking and since I put the tray under her cage around 2:00 today, I've seen no poop. I don't know how long its been before that

I gave her some Oxbow Critical Care as she refusesfinishing her food and I want to keep her system moving. At this hour, we aren't running to the store for paresely, but gave her romain lettuce which she ate and carrot tops. Any other tips?

IMMEDIATE INFORMATION:

Description (Breed, color, weight) Mini rex, Broken orange/brown

Sex Female

Concise Summary of the Rabbit's Condition: NOt fininshing food since sunday , not pooping.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION / CHECK LIST: (Please fill in relevant info).

Fecal and Urinary Output

- are the bunny's poops and pees normal? As far as I've been able to tell..
- when did they last use their litterbox? I'm not sure-her cage has wire and dropping go onto the ground. raked it up today and put a tray under so I have to keep an eye out. Since then, 2:00 today, I've seen no poops. Not sure how long its been going on.
- any unusual behavior? straining to pee? no unusual litter habits? no
- what litter and/or bedding do you use? None, it drops through the wire to the ground ( now tray)

Medical History

- spayed/neutered? Nope
- has s/he been to the vet or been sick before? White gook in eye, after 1 day of eye drops, it was gone.
- is s/he on any medications? No

Diet

- what specifically does your bunny eat? Timothy Hay, Purina fiber3 pellets.
- when and what did s/he eat last? This morning she ate 2/3 - 3/4 of her pellets
- any changes in the way s/he eats? nope (ie: not eating a particular food, odd chewing motions, etc)

Other

- movement - any unusual movements? Nope Is s/he hopping normally? Nope
- is the rabbit molting? Nope
- any weight loss? Nope
- any sign of drooling? wet face? Nope
- runny eyes? nope
- wet nose? coughing? sneezing? Nope
- is s/he breathing normally Yep

Additional

- any plants, chocolate or other substances within reach? New sod in pen where she runs aroudn-hasn't been out in 2 days.
- has the rabbit been outdoors? Yep, lives outdoors
- any other pets? if so, have they been ill? Yep, bunny Ripley, not ill that I know of, just got him.Charlie was sick with Respiratory infection went back with breeder

This morning when I went to take care of Taffy, I had the nice suprise that all the veggies and Critical Care I gave her last night had worked, and she had been pooping alot. :) Go Taffy go! lol Anyway, she ate all her food this morning to so I think the veggies did the trick. YAY!

its been another 6 1/2 hours and she's not been pooping. help? I gave more Crittical care, and carrot tops, we'll see if it works.

So can anyone give me any advice on what to do to treat her GI stasis? It seems when she's eaten a bunch of romain, she poops some, but now she refuses even that. She only ate a little of her food today, and hardly has been pooping. I gave her a little critical care and am heading out do give more.

try giving her some alfalfa hay, and any kinds of greens that she will eat. Noticed on a thread the other day that someone gave their bunny chamimiole tea for gi statis. Try putting a little apple juice in her water to encourage her to drink and get her out often for some free time running as that will get the gut going.

If her tummy is gasey and hard give her a tummy massage and if it is really gasey and hard don't forget to give her the gas or colic drugs. Hang on I will check one of the other threads to see what it is called. PM Jenks, Pipp or slavetoabunny as the are all very knowlegable on statis and I am not so much.

Yep, I am thinking a vet visit is in order. She's been like this a week now, where every day she hardly pees or poops and then whenever I give veggies, she starts going but as soon as she doesn't get more she's back to the same spot of not going. What do you think?

Latest posts

Back