Syphilis is back??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lagadvocate

Reaction score
Recap: A while back I posted about Charlie having fur loss and several scabby sores around his mouth. I took him to the vet who figured that it was Syphilis (although no tests were done), and prescribed Bicillan injections every other day for 21 days.

While researching syphilis and talking to others, I found out that this may have been overkill on the antibiotics for a disease that is "normally" cured by one injection per week for 3 weeks.

I ended up scaling back the shots to once every 2 days and he ended up receiving a total of6 injections within 14 days.

His mouth started to clear after 2 injections, and soon was completely healed with fur regrowth.

Now: Last night, I saw a black "streak" running down the right corner of his mouth. Upon closer inspection, it appears to be a scab. It is about 1/4 inch long,1 cm wide, and runningvertical. No other sores, just this one.

Do you think that the Syphillis was not cured? Or possibly that it wasn't even syphillis at all but rather something else? Or is it possible that maybe he did this one to himself by scratching his mouth --something he does do.

I'm just really wanting to re-arm myself before returning to the vet. This vet is considered a top rabbit vet in the area, and when I first started seeing him he really was dynamite. But now, it's just not so great. Should I ask that a test for syphillis be done to actually confirm the original dx? Does anyone know of any other tests (skin scrapings?) that should be considered?

Thanks for taking the time to read all this and hopefully weigh in!

I will leave this to the experts but I sure hope it's nothing really bad. I hope everything is ok.

HI,

First, agree with Pam. Proper medical diagnosis is in order. Next, as far as research and talking to others and "overkill" on the bicillin... I don't think I would listen to them in the future as you may well have caused a resistant type situation with "underkill". The way antibiotics are administered are for a very specific reason. Either the drug kills the bug or prevents it from reproducing. The reason so many bugs have become resistant and so many drugs...baytril is one of them...have become almost useless is by not using them as prescribed. Proper adminstering of bicillin is sub-q every other day for at least 10 rounds...which would be 20 days. With someconditions, I have had rabbits on antibiotics for months at a time in order to control the situation. The drug has to cover the life cycle of whatever it's target is in order to work properly. If it's not treated properly,theconditionusually returns and is a lot more difficult to control. I hope my comments don't come across as too blunt...not intended to be that way...just stating facts.

Randy

Thanks folks, I appreciate the replies

Randy, yes, that is what I thought I may have caused as well. Growing up with an RN for a mom, I shouldknow better than to "short" the full treatment.:?

But, my vet's initial thought was to give the "standard" treatment for syphilis which, I guess, is once a week for 3 weeks. I did run it by him that I wanted to scale back to the every two days, and he said that was ok since it was giving the little guy a hard time anyway. But, like I mentioned in my original post, I have been feeling unsure about him as of late. I've contacted a local rescue for another vet reference.

Hopefully I will be able to still help him.

But, in the end, I pray I didn't cause his demise.

Thanks again.

Randy has given you good information.

And don't feel bad about it. Yes, you should have given the full course, but everyone makes a mistake. You've caught it quickly. He should be good.

Let's hope he's feeling much better soon.

Unfortunately for him, the medicine is making him sick. Is it poos? I wonder if you gave him something with it, like children, it would help? Like, a few pellets or something?

Thanks for the kind words Bo :hug:. Yeah, the bicillan was causing some GI upset...really tiny poos and some slowdown. I gave him pumpkin and benebac to kind of get things working, but he quickly switched from barely any tiny poos to runny poo.:?

At this point, I'm not sure what to do. He has gotten me a little more worried now. He has stayed in his hidey box all day, and didn't even eat all his morning pellets which is completely unusual for him. He ate a little of his greens tonight. He's just not "right". He wants nothing to do with me or anyone.

When he first got the syphilis dx a couple of months ago, you wouldn't have even known anything was wrong with him except for the sores on his mouth. He ate and played normally. Now, I don't know what's going on.

He needs to go to a vet, I'm sure. I've only ever had 3 buns of my own. Buddy was a Holland Lop like Charlie and had GI problems his whole life. He died last December after some major effort to help him, but he had heart and renal failure. Now Charlie...and I just got him from the Humane Society in June.

Back when I was going to the vet weekly with Buddy, the vet always remarked about how the "compact breeds" seemed to have more health problems than the mid to large breeds. Now I'm starting to wonder if there is some merit to that. After all, Carmel has had only one health problem in her life and that was just a minor ear infection. She's 9 pounds.

After Buddy died, I didn't think I'd ever get another bun (other than Carmel who was already here). Then I came across Charlie. I have a major love for Hollands, but with what's going on now with Charlie and what happened to Buddy, I think that Carmel may end up being my last bun. This is just so hard to deal with.

Anyway, sorry for blathering on. I'm really tired and that's probably why I'm feeling so weepy right now. Thanks again.

Ok, is he on the medicine again then?

and how are his poos now?

If after a few days of the medicine he gets the poos, that's similar to children with antibiotics..... so you should give him something to help stop that.

Children get the BRAT diet. Bananas, rice, applesauce and plain toast.

Maybe..... a fRESH banana coin with it. Maybe a rice chex? Bo loves those.

The pectiin in the banana is great for poos at least for humans.

I would try that if it were me. Bo loves banana and would eat it no matter what.

Ok, is he on the medicine again then?

and how are his poos now?

No, that's what happened before with the med. He is on nothing now. He'll be going back to the vet next week. I'll explain what's taken place and see what he says. I'll take his word as law and will not vary from whatever treatment he prescribes now.

We'll see.

Thanks for the banana idea.

Latest posts

Back