Symptoms of Kidney Problems

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carolyn

Reaction score

Fauna has recently been drinking a lot, not cleaning herself - leading me to have to clean her each night, and is not gaining weight from all that she's eating.

After talking with Kathy Smith tonight, it seems that kidney failure/disease is quite a possibility for my baby girl. She's a 5 year-old Holland Lop for those that don't know her.

At first I was thinking it was diabetes, but after talking to Kathy,she informed me that diabetes isn't as common as you'd think. Many rabbits show up with a high level of sugar, but that doesn't mean it's diabetes.

Fauna's been less mobile, and that could be a sign of arthritis, or, it could be an indication that she can't get into a comfortable position to urinate.

Usually by the time that the blood work comes back with a positive for kidney disease, it's too late. Sub Q fluids can help some rabbits. It depends. Some rabbits can die in one week, while others can live a couple of years of a good quality of life.

I will have the vet run tests tomorrow to see if she has a urinary tract infection because that could be part of her drinking more and the wet tail. They'd put her on antibiotics.

Her urine is especially red, which is could be a sign of uterine cancer as she wasn't spayed. She was a rescue and I got her at 4.5 years old when it was too late to do the operation.

Will see what tomorrow's visit will bring. I don't want her in pain or struggling. I won't give up as long as I know she's not in pain.

-Carolyn

I sincerely think that I'm going to faint right now. I just posted on Laura's thread about Mocha;now I read about Fauna. I still haven't recovered from Tucks's episode. Oh, mercy. I just can't take another one of my babies suffering right now.

Keep us posted, Carolyn. Sherman and I are sending positive thoughts you and Fauna's way.

Carolyn,

I am so sorry to hear about Fauna. I hope that it is just a UTI because that seems like the best evil if you have to take any evil at all. I will keep you and Fauna in my prayers because I know that God will do what is right for Fauna. Best of luck at the vet and hope the next postis a positive one.

Fergi's mom

I really didn't want to upset the board with another 'incident'.

If this is the cards we're dealt with, at least my baby girl won't diein a back porch with her face in a corner never knowing what treats orhay was.

If this is what is meant to be, it was natural. She's known love, happiness, and freedom.

Honestly, I don't think it's going to be okay, but it could've been so much worse for her.

I knew going into adopting her that I wouldn't have a long time withher, but I wanted to make her life as full as I could. I truly believeshe's happy and knows - and seeks - love now.

BunnyDanny will help guide us from here.

:)

-Carolyn

I don't know what to say. I'm so worried about mybaby girl. I can't even think of the words to describe how dismayed Iam right now. I'll reply later when I can type better.

She will be in our prayers.

[align=left]Love always,[/align]
[align=left]Laura, Mocha,& Spice[/align]

Your name really describes what you are to this world. You indeed are a Rose.

Thank you.

Laura,

*gulp*

The more I learn of the progression of this disease, the more I mustprepare for what's ahead. There's nothing that can be done for kidneydisease.

I've told her all about you, Laura. She knows you are her home away from home.

No worries now. She's always going to be safe and protected.

-Carolyn

When it rains, it sometimes pours, huh?Positive thoughts and prayers are winging their way to you and Faunafor whatever the outcome is. It does not sound good, but, one doesn't know for sure at this stage. She has definately been a loved rabbit!

- Dolores

P.S.

Don't worry, BunnyMommy.

BunnyDanny's here.

Your Fauna-Girl is in good hands.

-Carolyn

I'm so glad you're posting again, Delores.

Keep it comin! You have so much to share that's of value.

Thank you for your note.

-Carolyn

Carolyn wrote:
If this is the cards we're dealt with, at least my baby girl won't diein a back porch with her face in a corner never knowing what treats or hay was.

If this is what is meant to be, it was natural. She's known love, happiness, and freedom.

Honestly, I don't think it's going to be okay, but it could've been so much worse for her.

I knew going into adopting her that I wouldn't have a long time with her, but I wanted to make her life as full as I could. I truly believe she's happy and knows - and seeks - love now.

BunnyDanny will help guide us from here.

-Carolyn
Few people truly understand how you brought her back from a totally disassociated state in which she just sat and stared at thewall. What ever happiness that little pumpkin has known is because of your very large and warm heart. She just melted under your care.

Ya did good, Kiddo! You did the "right thing" for one of God's little creatures and, "what goes around, comes around."Those acts of love will not go unnoticed.

Buck

She knows comfort and she knows Love now, Buck. She never would've had that had it not been for you and 'The Missus'.

If nature takes it's course, as I suspect it will, she is luckier than most.

She's Loved by So Many. She never had the amount of love she has now.

In the meantime, Tucker is Trouble, Trouble, Trouble tonight. Cocoa Puffs: EVERYWHERE! :) Yay! (I love m'boy!)

-Carolyn

You're just a Crazy Lady, BunnyMommy. You always were, and you're always gonna be just a Crazy Lady!

Love,
-Carolyn

Just now won my fight for possession of MY computer and saw this post. Dear friend, I don't know what to say. I think you have your head in the right place.You did an awesome thing with that baby girl. The odds were stacked against you to even get her to respond to you at all, and look at her now!She knows love! What bigger gift can a person give? Hold that baby and love her up. You and Fauna will be in my thoughts and prayers. Keep me posted.

Love, Raspberry

Dear Raspberry Swirl,

I've read your message and it breaks my heart to have you read it.

I know how much Fauna means to Laura, BunnyMommy, BuckJones and The Missus, You, Pamnock...and the list goes on.

I really contemplated about putting this post up at all, but in this forum, we learn through each other.

I truly didn't want to put a cloud over us when things were just getting brighter.

I'm numb because I have to be, and quite honestly, after Tucker with the GI Stasis, I guess I'm a bit overwhelmed. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

-Carolyn

aww i hope she will be ok. It does sound like she has had a much improved life since she found you. Will be thinking of her and you.

Cristy

Carolyn,

Im so sorry to hear about Fuana I didn't know she was a rescue either. I hope things do get better for you it pretty much is in gods hands Im glad she got to know love and caring and the freedom you showed her and with gods help and all our prayers she will get to experience that even more.

God Bless and I'll say a prayer tonite for you and your girl

Marie

Latest posts

Back