Symptoms of Kidney Problems

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
*nepo* wrote:
Whats kidney disease like and how can you prevent it?

Hi *nepo*,

It seems to effect elderly rabbits and rabbits that have had a go with E. cuniculi, which can cause kidney disease.

You just have to keep an eye on your elderly rabbit.

Although mixed breed rabbits can live up to 10 years old and older,often times purebred rabbits sadly only make it to about 6 years old.(My rabbit, Fauna, is 5 years old and I have to watch her a bit more because of her older age.) This is not my statistic, it is those of people that are veterinarians who specialize in rabbits, in Kathy Smith who wrote a book about Rabbit Health and has been studying them for many years, and even our own Pamnock.

If they are losing weight, seem to sit in their litter area more than usual, look like they're straining when they go to the bathroom, it's not a bad idea to get a urine test done on them to check their Specific Gravity value which should be in the range of 1.008-1.012. Kidney problems will show up first in urine tests before it gets into the blood. Often times, by the time a kidney disease shows up in the blood,it's very hard to correct. Xrays can show if the rabbit has kidney stones or bladder sludge.

A woman I know said her rabbit showed no noticeable signs of illness until 4 days before his death. The cause was that the rabbit had a loss of 90% of its kidney function. Same woman kept her rabbit alive on Sub-Q who had a kidney failure.

Sometimes you're lucky, sometimes you're not.

-Carolyn

Although mixed breed rabbits can live up to 10 years old and older, often times purebred rabbits sadly only make it to about 6 years old.
:(Rex is a purebred, but his mate Peanut is mixed. He's 5 and she's 4. Does this mean I can expect her to outlive him?? I don't know if she could handle that...:(:(

m.e. wrote:
Although mixed breed rabbits can live up to 10 years old and older, often times purebred rabbits sadly only make it to about 6 years old.
:(?Rex is a purebred, but his mate Peanut is mixed. He's 5 and she's 4.Does this mean I can expect her to outlive him?? I don't know if she could handle that...:(:(

"Don't trouble Trouble until Trouble troubles you."

Dear m.e.,

You just don't know what can happen.

In many cases they pass over on or near 6 years old; that said,my vet did see a purebred live to be 8. Let's hope we're all one of the lucky ones.

As our knowledge grows of rabbits and what works and what doesn't, perhaps their lifespan will as well.

-Carolyn

Thanks, Carolyn. I think my emotions are right near the surface right now. Aside from being very busy with school and work, my kittens, the little joys of my life, will be leaving in two weeks :?. Thinking about how little time we actually get to spend with our furry companions, and realizing how my bunnies are getting older, it just makes me sad to think that I really have such a short time with them :(:(A year, three years, it's never long enough *sigh*

I wish I was home right now to snuggle them....

Dear m.e.,

Tell me about emotional, Dear Heart. I completely understand. I react with panic too.

Every day we learn more. We are learning the red flags, and in trusting your intuition, and not questioning yourself is key. We also are learning more about how to treat things if our little one's can handle it and it's not yet their Time.

Everyone here on this board and your own rabbit savvy vet will do everything we can. That's why it's so important people find a good vet before an emergency happens.

I can't bear to think of my life without Tucker and Fauna. I've gotten to the point where I say to myself, "Don't even think about it because you can't imagine it and you can't prepare for it."

My father died a slow, painful death of cancer. Even though I knew it was coming, I was in absolute shock and despair when it happened. I learned then that there are just somethings you can't prepare yourself for and you'll deal with them when the time comes.

For now, All is Well with your babies at home and they'll be causing trouble and making a mess 10 minutes after you're home.

Enjoy every minute of it. :)

Love,
-Carolyn

P.S.

*nepo*

I mentioned above that old age and E. cuniculi can promote kidney disease.

In case you're not aware, E. cuniculi is a parasite. Bunnies can contract it at a young age, or are in contact with an infected companion, or playing in contaminated dirt. I have treated my rabbits with Ivermectin in order to ward them against parasite, but nothing is fool proof.

As said by Kathy Smith, "Many house rabbits test positive for E.cunculi. Some live long, healthy lives ...until they experience something stressful like an illness or loss of a mate. The infection can be kept in check by the rabbit's immune system."

-Carolyn

don't get too worked up too soon, jesse who will be 11 in Jan is a pure mini lop. Marcus and Emma who are rex buns are both 8.5 yrs old. However she has had intestinal polyps but thats another matter. And rocky who is dutch is 7.5 yrs old. My other old lady is older than dirt, age unknown, but breed unknown as well. the majority of my buns are 4 and 5 yrs old so they better be sticking around a few more years. i have 15, 4year old buns... go figure

Lets hear it for old age

Carolyn wrote:
m.e. wrote:
Although mixed breed rabbits can live up to 10 years old and older, often times purebred rabbits sadly only make it to about 6years old.
:(?Rex is a purebred, but his mate Peanut is mixed. He's 5 and she's 4.Does this mean I can expect her to outlive him?? I don't know if she could handle that...:(:(

"Don't trouble Trouble until Trouble troubles you."

Dear m.e.,

You just don't know what can happen.

In many cases they pass over on or near 6 years old; that said,my vet did see a purebred live to be 8. Let's hope we're all one of the lucky ones.

As our knowledge grows of rabbits and what works and what doesn't, perhaps their lifespan will as well.

-Carolyn

That's very encouraging, thanks Gabby!

-Carolyn

Fluff, my first bun was a pure bred New Zealand White and he lived to be 13 or 14 (depending on how long his first owner had him) He was unneutered and an outdoor bun. The last two years of his life he lived in style on our porch because he had arthritis and couldnt reach around to wash his bum, so he got daily butt baths.

He was a big guy and after I gentled him loved his attention. And he sold me on bunnies.

Smokey is 12 or 13, and she's a pure Netherland. Bunbun (Palomino) was 8.5 and would have lived longer if the vet hadn't killed him....:X

Rose

Carolyn wrote:
Yes Ladies!

:)

The only problem is a Urinary Tract Infection. (Woo Hoo!) Of all things that I could've wished for, that would've been the one.

-Carolyn

YEEEEEAAAY!!!

Rose

It gives me such hope when I hear about the ages your purebreds have lived to.

The only thing that would keep me from getting more rabbits is their lifespan.

Thank you for your warm and encouraging note.

-Carolyn

Bump because although the problem (thank God) wasn't her kidneys, it still was a lesson learned.

-Carolyn

rabbitgirl wrote:
Smokey is 12 or 13, and she's a pure Netherland. Bunbun(Palomino) was 8.5 and would have lived longer if the vet hadn't killedhim....:X

Rose
How did he kill him , if you don't mind me asking...

Carolyn-

I haven't been on the last week because i've been in Minnesota...i looked over this thread from the start-didn't look at the dates....i thought something was wrong w/ Fauna! I about had a heart attack...FINALLY i looked at the date:embarrassed:

Glad she's alright!!!

Ellie

Carolyn wrote:
It gives me such hope when I hear about the ages your purebreds have lived to.

The only thing that would keep me from getting more rabbits is their lifespan.

Thank you for your warm and encouraging note.

-Carolyn
The longest lived rabbit I had was a Netherland DwarfHimi buck, he was over 12 (and would lived longer if rabbit sitter had been more careful), a friend had a Flemish live to 17. It's more their relative health, diet, and environment than breed or pedigree that deirmines longevity.

Latest posts

Back